Do I have any chances of getting into Graduate School?

Hey all!

I have been in the works of applying to all part-time, online Masters Degree programs for Speech-Language Pathology for the 2016 deadlines. Graduated with my BS at The University of Central Florida in 2013. Cumulative GPA- 3.6 Last 60 credit hours -3.55 

GRE Scores- V 147, Q 146, W 4.5  I have already taken the GRE twice with study materials and got the same score. Improved on my writing from 3.0-4.5 Do they even consider the Writing scores?

I have 4 official LORs 2 professors from UCF, my boss, and a coworker who has been an SLP for 15-20 years. 

I have my temporary teaching certificate in Florida for Speech and Language Impaired (K-12) I am currently beginning my second year as a school SLP in a Title 1 Elementary School. 

Schools I am applying to:

NOVA Southeastern University- finished application, waiting to see if I will be interview

Florida State University- in the works

University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire

University of South Florida

Idaho State University

University of North Colorado

I know my GRE scores are average, but hoping my experience in the field will help. Any encouragement or advice will be helpful! I am so nervous. Keep reading and hearing how difficult it is to get into grad school :( 

I think a peer is generally not a good candidate for LOR writing, although I don't know about your field specifically. Do they supervise you or mentor you at all? You could at least call them that instead of "co-worker."

Also, you can do better on your GRE scores. I see a lot of 298 and 300 combined total cut-offs in the humanities. Check for cut-off scores in your programs.

Good luck! You can do it!

• 7 months later...
On 7/28/2015 at 10:39 AM, SLPNikki77 said:

Hey all!

I have been in the works of applying to all part-time, online Masters Degree programs for Speech-Language Pathology for the 2016 deadlines. Graduated with my BS at The University of Central Florida in 2013. Cumulative GPA- 3.6 Last 60 credit hours -3.55 

GRE Scores- V 147, Q 146, W 4.5  I have already taken the GRE twice with study materials and got the same score. Improved on my writing from 3.0-4.5 Do they even consider the Writing scores?

I have 4 official LORs 2 professors from UCF, my boss, and a coworker who has been an SLP for 15-20 years. 

I have my temporary teaching certificate in Florida for Speech and Language Impaired (K-12) I am currently beginning my second year as a school SLP in a Title 1 Elementary School. 

Schools I am applying to:

NOVA Southeastern University- finished application, waiting to see if I will be interview

Florida State University- in the works

University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire

University of South Florida

Idaho State University

University of North Colorado

I know my GRE scores are average, but hoping my experience in the field will help. Any encouragement or advice will be helpful! I am so nervous. Keep reading and hearing how difficult it is to get into grad school :( 

My GRE scores are almost the same as yours - minus a few points. I have applied to a couple of schools for the online SLP programs, but did not get accepted. I'm assuming it is because of my low GRE scores. I'm going to retake the GRE very soon and reapply hoping to get accepted. It looks like most of the online programs have a pretty good SLP masters program. I think my favorite is Eastern New Mexico University, but I didn't get accepted. Were you not interested in applying there?

How much more did you study before taking the GRE again? What study materials have you used? I've been studying alot (at least 3-4 hours a day) and am hoping my GRE score really improves. I'm using the Kaplan GRE Premier 2015 book, using flashcards, and the Magoosh.com resources.

Best of luck to you! Keep in touch!

• 2 years later...

Hi! 

This may be late but I'm curious, how does one get a temporary teaching certificate in Florida? I am a special ed teacher in California and I just got in to two online programs. They have the Variable Teacher Waiver in CA but I am considering relocating and would like to be closer to family in Georgia. I'd be interested in finding something in South Miami or the Jacksonville area.