NIH F31 Fellowship Confusion

biochemgirl67

Hi guys,

I am looking into applying for a predoctoral fellowship this fall and was trying to figure out the NIH F31 grant.  I know the NSF predoctoral fellowship does not actually require you pursue the project you propose.  Is this the same with the NIH F31?  I looked on their awful website and couldn't find anything other than a large list of instructions that don't even apply.  Any insight into the F31 at all would be helpful.  thanks!

The F31 is a very different fellowship than the NSF GRFP. If you are not currently a graduate student in a lab you shouldn't be applying yet for an F31, you need an advisor and preliminary data to prove your proposed project is feasible, and preferentially be completely finished with all your classes by the start of the fellowship. Typically grad students don't apply till they are in their 2nd year or later when they have enough data (at least in my program).

The F31 is a very different fellowship than the NSF GRFP. If you are not currently a graduate student in a lab you shouldn't be applying yet for an F31, you need an advisor and preliminary data to prove your proposed project is feasible, and preferentially be completely finished with all your classes by the start of the fellowship. Typically grad students don't apply till they are in their 2nd year or later when they have enough data (at least in my program).

Thank you so much.  It somehow popped up when I typed "predoctoral fellowships" into the NIH.  I'll blame their bad website.  And I couldn't find anybody who had applied for one, so thank you so so much!

Thank you so much.  It somehow popped up when I typed "predoctoral fellowships" into the NIH.  I'll blame their bad website.  And I couldn't find anybody who had applied for one, so thank you so so much!

Predoctoral means prior-to-getting-your-doctorate, so predoctoral fellowships are for current graduate students. (Unless this is one of those weird English things where Americans and Canadians and the UK all have separate meanings :P)

Predoctoral means prior-to-getting-your-doctorate, so predoctoral fellowships are for current graduate students. (Unless this is one of those weird English things where Americans and Canadians and the UK all have separate meanings :P)

Oh it's hard to even know... the American government websites are AWFUL.  They don't work, are full of broken links, and way too confusing.

I mean, I don't know what I expected.  :lol: