George Mason University - economics application

clarkKent333

I am interested in applying for their MA program (not interested in obtaining a PhD in the future) mainly because I am interested in Austrian economics.  Has anyone attended GMU for economics? If so, how was it? What is their application process like and is the emphasis in grades or SOP or SOL or GRE?  I am curious as to what they look for in a candidate because it seems like such an offbeat program yet it has some highly respected professors.  Thanks

I know about the program. You can get funding through the Mercatus center if you do go. I am not sure what they emphasize on. I know a few people that attend (PhD). It is probably not too hard to get into. If you have research experience, you should be fine. I am also considering applying. Your only option is policy with that degree. 

Research experience for the masters program? Really? That would make sense for the PhD program especially if their MA program is geared towards public policy.  Did the people you know have undergraduage degrees in economics or did they graduate with other degrees?  Do you know how many students they accept per year?

Bummer they only accept fall applicants.  GMU is my first choice, it just seems so unique. 

Research experience for the masters program? Really? That would make sense for the PhD program especially if their MA program is geared towards public policy.  Did the people you know have undergraduage degrees in economics or did they graduate with other degrees?  Do you know how many students they accept per year?

Bummer they only accept fall applicants.  GMU is my first choice, it just seems so unique. 

The PhD students did have degrees in economics. I do not know how many students they accept each year. The same for the MA program. I am also looking at it, but also skeptical about the placement. Research experience might put you on the edge for getting accepted. This degree caters to those who want policy experience. Research experience will only make you a more capable candidate.