Research assistant question

I'd figure this might be the most appropriate place (If not a mod could simply move it to the main forum then) to post this since it deals with writing on an application. At any rate I am applying for a MA in international relations. One of the schools has a section on its application where you have 300 characters, yes characters, to explain why you would be a good research assistant.

Has anyone encountered this before and advice on how to utilize this small space effectively?

Edited by KenBesonders

Depending on how much you have to say, my best bet would be not to write a flowery essay answer but rather give a list of the qualities, skills, or qualifications that would make you a good research assistant. For example, one important skill set is being able to deal with page/word/character limits, being concise, and getting your point across. 

Depending on how much you have to say, my best bet would be not to write a flowery essay answer but rather give a list of the qualities, skills, or qualifications that would make you a good research assistant. For example, one important skill set is being able to deal with page/word/character limits, being concise, and getting your point across. 

If follow-up to what you said, they also give you the option to "Attach a response" if you need more space. I am assuming doing that would work to my detriment, based on what you just said?

Well, 300 characters is roughly 3 average length sentences. How much do you have to say? Do you have prior research assistant experience to describe? What skills would you want to talk about? If you are being *concise*, is there any way you could be close to the 300 character mark (in which case I'd say keep it under the limit), or would you write substantially more? 

If you've actually had some research experience I would just use the space to note that, like briefly describe the project and how long you were involved. Concrete skills that are relevant (e.g., statistics, literature review, data collection, etc.) would also be good. These things speak louder than general comments about how organized and detail-oriented you might be. Focus on things you've actually done.

Well, 300 characters is roughly 3 average length sentences. How much do you have to say? Do you have prior research assistant experience to describe? What skills would you want to talk about? If you are being *concise*, is there any way you could be close to the 300 character mark (in which case I'd say keep it under the limit), or would you write substantially more? 

It essentially said: "If you are applying for an assistantship, briefly describe any experiences that would qualify you for appointment as a teaching or research assistant. (Max 320 characters use additional essays tab if more information is needed)"

I guess the main reason I am pressed to post this here is because I was involved with two independent research projects where my help (not written on my own) yielded two publications. I also worked with some research with a professor that was not involved in publications but still beneficial. So I guess I feel as though I have enough to talk about that would merit me to go over the max in the box but, at the same time, feel like it would look as not coming off as concise.

Edited by KenBesonders

Wait, suddenly it's 320 words, not 300 characters, that's a big difference. I assume you're also going to discuss these research experiences in your SOP, and your letter writers will discuss this in their letters. 

Oh my it seems I am confounding my own thread. :blink:

Sorry that was I typo since I added the second part myself. It is still characters, not words.

My statement of purpose is limited to around 500 words and they emphasize to discuss your professional work, of which I have outside of this research so discussing those in detail with the SOP would be infeasible.

Sorry for the confusion, I am trying to focus this back on track.