NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

6 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm really jealous... no one in my department even told me about it. No one has certainly ever gotten it (though I think one person applied years ago). I only found out about it because I did an REU last summer at a different university.

-grumbles-

Some universities even have acknowledged advisers to write the proposals. My university didn't seem to have any useful to me, but they apparently exist. :) 

I'm not even sure how I found out about it. It probably isn't as pervasive in the history of science as the actual sciences, so most people, other than graduate students (I'm an undergraduate currently), have no idea it exists. 

I'm hopeful. The only real worrying parts of my proposal are stylistic worries. Was the tone proper? Was a too forceful or soft? Is my proposed course of study 'sexy' enough to win the fellowship? 

I really want my feedback, more than anything.

45 minutes ago, Neist said:

Some universities even have acknowledged advisers to write the proposals. My university didn't seem to have any useful to me, but they apparently exist. :) 

I'm not even sure how I found out about it. It probably isn't as pervasive in the history of science as the actual sciences, so most people, other than graduate students (I'm an undergraduate currently), have no idea it exists. 

I'm hopeful. The only real worrying parts of my proposal are stylistic worries. Was the tone proper? Was a too forceful or soft? Is my proposed course of study 'sexy' enough to win the fellowship? 

I really want my feedback, more than anything.

I agree! Although, I only had a sentence about "broader impacts". I don't even know why I applied with that :D

1 hour ago, shim12 said:

Reading through previous years' feedback, whether or not you get it seems to depend a lot on who reviews your application.

I think that's partially true, as long as you meet certain criteria. There is certainly a bit of subjectivity to it! So, it's really anybody's game!

10 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm really jealous... no one in my department even told me about it. No one has certainly ever gotten it (though I think one person applied years ago). I only found out about it because I did an REU last summer at a different university.

-grumbles-

I'm in the exact same boat! I started my application in late September and probably spent the first week staring at an empty document trying to figure out how to start writing. Le sigh!

5 hours ago, sierra918 said:

I think that's partially true, as long as you meet certain criteria. There is certainly a bit of subjectivity to it! So, it's really anybody's game!

I keep hearing that award process is basically a lottery, haha! No one I've spoken to seems to know exactly how the selection process works. I am trying so hard not to get my hopes up; at this point I just want to know how it turned out so I can move past it (and start prepping my next application!).

11 minutes ago, TongueSten said:

I'm in the exact same boat! I started my application in late September and probably spent the first week staring at an empty document trying to figure out how to start writing. Le sigh!

I keep hearing that award process is basically a lottery, haha! No one I've spoken to seems to know exactly how the selection process works. I am trying so hard not to get my hopes up; at this point I just want to know how it turned out so I can move past it (and start prepping my next application!).

There's a fair amount of information out there about how it works. I think some of it is posted in a forum on GradCafe, but I couldn't tell you where!

GUYS SOMEONE PLEASE SHOOT ME. I made the horrible horrible mistake of reading through my NSF application and found that I made the dumbest, most idiotic mistake that has ever been made in recorded history.

I didn't mention anything about being a coauthor on any publications! And I've been a coauthor on several (and first author on one)... this is how I got into graduate school, I'm sure of it. AND I DIDN'T SAY A SINGLE WORD ABOUT IT. 

:(

3 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

GUYS SOMEONE PLEASE SHOOT ME. I made the horrible horrible mistake of reading through my NSF application and found that I made the dumbest, most idiotic mistake that has ever been made in recorded history.

I didn't mention anything about being a coauthor on any publications! And I've been a coauthor on several (and first author on one)... this is how I got into graduate school, I'm sure of it. AND I DIDN'T SAY A SINGLE WORD ABOUT IT. 

There's a seperate area to list that (even though a lot of people do talk about it in the personal statement). Did you at least list it there? 

Edited by Tahlain

8 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I think it is likely that at least one of your recommenders would point it out, yes?

8 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I wouldn't worry too much. My understanding is that these applications are more heavily judged on the merits of the proposals themselves. It might have helped you out a bit, yes, but you're an undergrad, like me. You can always apply next year (I'm sure I'm going to have to as well)! :) 

2 hours ago, Neist said:

I wouldn't worry too much. My understanding is that these applications are more heavily judged on the merits of the proposals themselves. It might have helped you out a bit, yes, but you're an undergrad, like me. You can always apply next year (I'm sure I'm going to have to as well)! :) 

Yep, I just sent out an email asking my LoR writers if they'd support me next year as well. Woo! :D

25 minutes ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

I had a dream last night/this morning that NSF was updating fastlane with hashtags leading up to the reveal. Very strange. 

Can't wait to stayup with you all on reveal night!

Yes! It's going to be quite the party here :D

30 minutes ago, ece64 said:

Did anyone here also apply to the NDSEG fellowship? This is my last year for both so I'm really hoping for a miracle haha.

I did! I think for me it's a long shot though...

1 hour ago, Dibenzofulvene said:

I had a dream last night/this morning that NSF was updating fastlane with hashtags leading up to the reveal. Very strange. 

Can't wait to stayup with you all on reveal night!

excited for this. i will also def be drinking a bit... 

we should start an IRC chat or something -- would anyone else be down?

5 minutes ago, ghostar said:

Is anyone else having trouble logging into their GRFP account? I was able to log in about two weeks ago, but now I can't. 

Nope, I just logged in fine. But this could be a good sign!!! I saw in previous years that people had trouble logging in/using fastlane before results went up :-)

16 minutes ago, chaparral said:

Nope, I just logged in fine. But this could be a good sign!!! I saw in previous years that people had trouble logging in/using fastlane before results went up :-)

Just echoing that I can log in fine as well. 

Wow. I just realized results might be up this week. Thank goodness last week was spring break. It sped things up.