NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

1 hour ago, jer said:

Someone on a reddit thread mentioned their application status on Fastlane was changed to reviewed. I didn't realize the status changes, as mine is still "received." Has anyone else's status changed?

Heh, was that the thread titled "Does anybody else just remember the NSF GRFP exists in the middle of the day out of nowhere and feel like they're suddenly on fire"?

7 minutes ago, commodork said:

Heh, was that the thread titled "Does anybody else just remember the NSF GRFP exists in the middle of the day out of nowhere and feel like they're suddenly on fire"?

Yup.

As a current undergrad, I'm not entirely sure how important the GRFP is. If you go to a top school (prestige) and already have full funding (some schools offer close to $34k), what does getting the GRFP really offer? Does it just mean you won't have to TA?

3 minutes ago, shim12 said:

As a current undergrad, I'm not entirely sure how important the GRFP is. If you go to a top school (prestige) and already have full funding (some schools offer close to $34k), what does getting the GRFP really offer? Does it just mean you won't have to TA?

My school will give me quiiiite a bit less than $34k... so thats a big incentive for me. :) it might be the difference between being slightly homeless and not lol

But if you already have the prestige and funding, then there are programs you can apply to that are only open to GRFP fellows, such as the GROW program.

But most importantly, it gives you freedom. You can almost do whatever research you want, regardless of your prof's funding. Many grants only fund a certain project, but GRFP funds you. I know people whose dissertation was totally changed because they could fly wherever and study anything. :) 

My stipend offer is already just over 34k, but they offer a one-time 3k bonus if you get a fellowship like this, which is pretty nice. I'd like the flexibility since I have some crazy-ass off the wall ideas for robotics projects (none of which are remotely related to my GRFP proposal, of course), but my soon-to-be advisor also said she's pretty good about finding money to work for what students actually want to do. I guess it's one of the perks of being in a well-endowed department. :)

1 hour ago, shim12 said:

That's the same position I'm in... and I already have 3 years of fellowship through Cornell so I wouldn't have to TA anyway, but of course I didn't know that would be the case when I applied. Right now I want to get it so that the professor I work for doesn't have to pay me.

10 hours ago, shim12 said:

This is my experience with having the NSF GRFP that will echo what some other people have said and add new info:

1. Prestige: while you may attend a top university, your peers, professors, graduate school staff, etc. will look at you more favorably. Even though my university is prestigious, I received several congratulatory emails from professors who hardly spoke to me. People around the university started to know me too, where gained a good reputation in not only my department, but the entire graduate school. Also, some people from outside your field may not know that the particular university you are attending is top tier in your field, but if they see you are a NSF GRF recipient, they will view you more highly.
  2.  Freedom: I know that a few people already talked about freedom, but here are my specific instances with my "freedom".
    • I have never TAed. I am now ahead of a lot of my peers and could graduate in four instead of five years.
    • My advisor has plenty of funding to pay my stipend without the NSF GRFP so I wouldn't have to TA. Since there is no need to cover my stipend, there is extra money to do other things. If I want to go to a conference, my advisor pays for it. No negotiations needed. If I want to go to a workshop or travel or anything, my advisor is more willing to say, "Yes."
    • I can research whatever I want, because the fellowship funds me. No strings attached. I don't have to work on a random side project that will fulfill the stipulations of my funding.
    • I can be involved in other activities, because I have more time. I'm highly involved in STEM outreach and graduate organizations. This involvement has led to widening my professional network more and gain a greater reputation.
  3. NSF GROW/GRIP: I applied the the NSF GRIP and won the award. I now have a contact with the US Census Bureau, which is big. The Bureau is the largest government statistical agency in the US. This opportunity will not only contribute to my dissertation (yay chapter!), but also provide great networking.

14 hours ago, commodork said:

8 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Looks like last year the maintenance notification came out on March 27, and the results went up 3AM March 31. So this year the maintenance notification might've come out today in order for the results to come out on Tuesday... all signs are pointing to Friday.

I agree. I wish it were sooner, but it's only one more week. One very long week ?

17 hours ago, sierra918 said:

Guys....It just occurred to me that one week from today is very likely "the night." I'm so ready!!!

and terrified, I have three midterms and I know I will not be able to focus on any of them!

22 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

Not NSF, but I just got a call that I got the DOE CSGF. I'm absolutely in shock. I didn't expect to hear back this early, let alone hear that I got it! Definitely reduces the stress for waiting on the GRFP. :P

Congrats!  That's terrific!