NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

2 hours ago, pasteltomato said:

Emphasis is mine. If threnagyn is right about the maintenance posts coming the day before, we can't rule out a Tuesday (ie, tonight) release.

Last year, when the Tuesday announcement came out, the maintenance notice was posted the previous Thursday. As hopeful as I would like to be, I think we're looking at this Friday. Hopefully the maintenance notice will be posted soon so I can stop having nightmares that they canceled the GRFP this year lol

2 minutes ago, Tahlain said:

AH!!!

NSF.JPG

Also, a separate one on the GRFP page.

Capture.JPG

But this maintenance is until 6 am -- doesn't the maintenance that precedes the award decisions usually only go until 3? 

The plot thickens...... 

1 minute ago, elanorci said:

But this maintenance is until 6 am -- doesn't the maintenance that precedes the award decisions usually only go until 3? 

The plot thickens...... 

Yeah, that's true. Perhaps this is a (or likely the final) pre-announcement maintenance. 

Could make sense, as the others may not have been specifically for the GRFP site. (I don't remember seeing site-specific announcements over the past couple of weeks.)

Also, do we think that the changing of some people's application status from 'received' to 'reviewed' is indicative of winning? I'd be interested to know, as if so there will be a way for people in future years to tell reasonably far in advance...! 

3 minutes ago, elanorci said:

Also, do we think that the changing of some people's application status from 'received' to 'reviewed' is indicative of winning? I'd be interested to know, as if so there will be a way for people in future years to tell reasonably far in advance...! 

I hope not. haha.

Not to specifically be suspicious of Redditors, but no one on here has posted anything about their status being changed. And I find it at least somewhat unlikely (but possible) that none of us (on this forum) were chosen for the fellowship.

Eek! So happy to be immediately proven wrong. I feel like this has to be it. The main fastlane site has a maintenance notice not specific to the GRFP as well. Plus, I think it's reasonable to think that they may change the post time to 6 AM.

Usually the maintenance ends closer to 2 or 3 AM EDT if the announcement is being made, but it's certainly possible that they changed the release time (maybe to discourage people from staying up for it, so there's less load on the servers?). They did make it later last year than usual, although only by an hour.

Also, it could be unrelated, but I had trouble logging in a few minutes ago. Not sure if that could be a clue or not.

Edited by utb040713

Is this amount of time for maintenance normal for the day they're announced? Do they usually have windows that big for other scheduled maintenance? 

Considering the change in due dates, I think anything is possible--including later than normal announcement dates, as long as they're in early April. 

The long window sounds like an upload thing to me. The reveal will presumably be quicker? I know nothing about the Internet. It's dimly possible that if someone called or emailed them they'd tell us what the maintenance is for.

The earlier (non-reveal) website down may not be for uploading results at all; it could be coincidence because we check more now or just another NSF program with similar but offset announcement dates. Unless someone knows that's why. 

11 minutes ago, otherss said:

I was able to login to mine just fine. Dang a 6am time...that's still reasonable for me (7pm) but I was hoping to sleep through most of the waiting period

I was also able to log in. 

Sorry for missing earlier explanations of the Fastlane maintenance significance, but how long does it usually take after the site is back up for awards to be posted? Does that all happen at the same time (i.e. I should expect to know a result at 6am on the 29th) or is there still a waiting period after the Fastlane site is back up?

8 minutes ago, EA76 said:

Sorry for missing earlier explanations of the Fastlane maintenance significance, but how long does it usually take after the site is back up for awards to be posted? Does that all happen at the same time (i.e. I should expect to know a result at 6am on the 29th) or is there still a waiting period after the Fastlane site is back up?

Last year I got the email notification at 2:55AM, so it coincided pretty directly with the end of maintenance.

Just now, kafcat said:

Mine says received too...

Is there any verification outside of the one person on Reddit that any status has actually changed to reviewed?

Might be a troll. Maybe not, but you never know. This is the internet.

Just now, Neist said:

Is there any verification outside of the one person on Reddit that any status has actually changed to reviewed?

I hope it is a troll...and if no one here is calling it then I'd say it's fake. Let's hope that its not a sign of rejection...Augh calm down Kafcat...Need to be prepared...

Brace%2Byourself..%2B(2).jpg

1 minute ago, Neist said:

Reddit is not exactly a bastion of reliable information