NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

5 minutes ago, Ignis said:

I don't understand this logic

So first off: 1st years and 2nd years are judged separately. Will it be this way in 2017-18? Who knows. Next year, first years will be applying again as second years since we are 'grandfathered in'. But for first years in 2016-17, some will apply, some will wait. I have no clue how they plan to change the number of awards. They want more undergrads to apply and get it. I don't think one year will be enough time to really boost the number of applicants, and they tend to keep similar award ratios per year groups.

So it could be advantageous if they are awarding the same number of 1st year fellowships as previously, but not so if they change the ratios around.

Edited by mobilehobo

You know, I think as I sit here and enjoy my beer, I haven't seen a thread this active on Grad Cafe this cycle.

I hope at least some of us get the NSF GRFP. :D I'm perfectly happy if at least someone gets it.

10 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I haven't the slightest clue! What is everyone else planning on doing?

I already have an M.A., so this is my only shot unfortunately.

I don't think you should give up hope just yet though. You could still get it this year!

5 minutes ago, chaparral said:

well next year, the first year graduate students from this year AND the undergrads from this year can apply (then they will be 1st and 2nd year grad students). For the sake of argument, let's say that all the 2nd year grad students apply. Why wouldn't they? Some of the 1st years will apply, and some will wait.

In two years, people will have to chose. The people who chose to wait (now 2nd year grad students) will apply, and some of the 1st year students will apply.

Interesting, interesting.... 

So two years from now would be better in theory... but I wonder how the NSF's funding will change based on this new rule. I.e., if they will accept more or fewer people.

I'm with you, @Neist. I feel like I know you all so well from this thread and the Wine, Wait, and Whine thread from before... I would be thrilled if some of you got it <3

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

Just now, Neist said:

You know, I think as I sit here and enjoy my beer, I haven't seen a thread this active on Grad Cafe this cycle.

I hope at least some of us get the NSF GRFP. :D I'm perfectly happy if at least someone gets it.

Agreed, Neist!! Surely, several people on this Forum will get it, and we can all be very happy for them :)

3 minutes ago, mobilehobo said:

So first off: 1st years and 2nd years are judged separately. Will it be this way in 2017-18? Who knows. Next year, first years will be applying again as second years since we are 'grandfathered in'. But for first years in 2016-17, some will apply, some will wait. I have no clue how they plan to change the number of awards. They want more undergrads to apply and get it. I don't think one year will be enough time to really boost the number of applicants, and they tend to keep similar award ratios per year groups.

So it could be advantageous if they are awarding the same number of 1st year fellowships as previously, but not so if they change the ratios around.

Thanks! I didn't know this

35 minutes ago, mobilehobo said:

I think it is important to try to connect both essays into one cohesive story, but more important to make sure each essay addresses intellectual merit and broader impacts enough. Your signature says you did the peace corp. That had to make for some interesting broader impacts! :)

Yeah I think my broader impacts will be good (or I hope so at least). I def addresses both but I hope they're easy for the readers to discern (I didn't use headlines for both bi and im in the personal).

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

So two years from now would be better in theory... but I wonder how the NSF's funding will change based on this new rule. I.e., if they will accept more or fewer people.

I wonder if NSF will give advice on this score... maybe they want to see more 1st years vs 2nd years? But pending more information I think my odds are better in year 2.

5 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm planning on celebrating with the people in this thread regardless of what happens to me! It's fun waiting with y'all.

2 minutes ago, otherss said:

Yeah I think my broader impacts will be good (or I hope so at least). I def addresses both but I hope they're easy for the readers to discern (I didn't use headlines for both bi and im in the personal).

I forgot/didn't know I needed to put a separate broader impacts section in my personal statement, so....

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm a little sad that they aren't coming out until 6 instead of 3... I was hoping for a late-night tinychat session or something so we could wait together, but I'm sure most people won't be staying up until 6!

I wish I could pull it off! I'm not as young as I used to be though, and I have to work tomorrow. I'm going to hang in as long as I can though :)

8 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm with you, @Neist. I feel like I know you all so well from this thread and the Wine, Wait, and Whine thread from before... I would be thrilled if some of you got it <3

Can you please explain to me what the new rule is?  

1 minute ago, sierra918 said:

I wish I could pull it off! I'm not as young as I used to be though, and I have to work tomorrow. I'm going to hang in as long as I can though :)

Oh, I can certainly still put it off, but I've grown a strong sense of apathy and overwhelming attraction to sleep as I get older. Mmm. Sleep. :D 

3 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

I'm planning on celebrating with the people in this thread regardless of what happens to me! It's fun waiting with y'all.

I forgot/didn't know I needed to put a separate broader impacts section in my personal statement, so....

Yup, it's pretty fun! And I forgot to put a separate broader impacts section, too, but eh well. I doubt it hurt me as badly as it could have.

4 minutes ago, Extra Espresso said:

It was actually quite confusing because whenever they referenced the essay, they alternate between considering it a single essay and 2, so I just wrote a single essay, but referenced broader impacts within it.

6 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I'm a little sad that they aren't coming out until 6 instead of 3... I was hoping for a late-night tinychat session or something so we could wait together, but I'm sure most people won't be staying up until 6!

I'd still be up for a chat session! I won't be up til 6, but I usually go to bed around 1 ET, so I'm game until then. I've already started drinking an IPA or two - it'd be nice to chill and commiserate with people in the same boat (: 

3 minutes ago, iChris93 said:

Can you please explain to me what the new rule is?  

Beginning with the 2017 application, graduate students can only apply once, as either a first year or a second year student. This rule only applies if you are not a first-year grad student right now.

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

Oh, I can certainly still put it off, but I've grown a strong sense of apathy and overwhelming attraction to sleep as I get older. Mmm. Sleep. :D 

Yup, it's pretty fun! And I forgot to put a separate broader impacts section, too, but eh well. I doubt it hurt me as badly as it could have.

Hey, me too! Broader impacts, shmoader impacts!

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I mean, I wove it into the proposal, but didn't separately mention it. Eh well. ;) 

I'm hoping my reviewers are humanities people and they can appreciate the finesse required to seamlessly incorporate the two. At least that's my hope. Haha.

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Beginning with the 2017 application, graduate students can only apply once, as either a first year or a second year student. This rule only applies if you are not a first-year grad student right now.

1 minute ago, sierra918 said:

Agreed, Neist!! Surely, several people on this Forum will get it, and we can all be very happy for them :)

I mean, there is no requirement for the headers. It's helpful though if you get a lazy reviewer who will only skim your application. Same with bolding things, using buzzwords. It's literally, 'Hey! If you're not going to read everything, read THIS at least!'.

Well, as we wait, I'm looking at elective courses that I want to take. Ergh, there's too many that directly parallel my research. How am I supposed to choose?! :huh:

So, while I am totally being a hypocrite, I think it is kind of funny that we are all actively participating in this forum when really, we should be doing HW/research/etc. Kinda runs counter to the prototype of those who really deserve the award, don't ya think?

EDIT: Downvoted for a comment that I myself am committing? Oh, the sensitivity.

Edited by avidman

6 minutes ago, mobilehobo said:

I mean, there is no requirement for the headers. It's helpful though if you get a lazy reviewer who will only skim your application. Same with bolding things, using buzzwords. It's literally, 'Hey! If you're not going to read everything, read THIS at least!'.

I did the bold/buzzwords thing last year and got HM. I followed the same format this year.

1 minute ago, avidman said:

So, while I am totally being a hypocrite, I think it is kind of funny that we are all actively participating in this forum when really, we should be doing HW/research/etc. Kinda runs counter to the prototype of those who really deserve the award, don't ya think?

Definitely! I'm studying for my prelims right now. I just can't focus. I figure, being on here and engaging with everyone on something academic is at least slightly better than if I just go and play some video games!

1 minute ago, avidman said:

Not me! I work full-time and don't start classes until the Fall, so I suppose I can be as unproductive as I please ;) Plus, my kids are asleep, which never happens this early!

2 minutes ago, avidman said:

Eh, this is my last undergrad semester, and my only responsibilities is grading for one course (which I currently have nothing for) and finishing my last Spanish class (which I'm acing). 

This is the slowest semester I've had in years.