NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

2 minutes ago, talkcherty2me said:

I did the bold/buzzwords thing last year and got HM. I followed the same format this year.

Good luck and congrats on the HM last year! Somehow highlighting the important information has been the most consistent advice I've received over the years for this grant. Definitely something I'd recommend for everyone in the future.

4 minutes ago, avidman said:

So, while I am totally being a hypocrite, I think it is kind of funny that we are all actively participating in this forum when really, we should be doing HW/research/etc. Kinda runs counter to the prototype of those who really deserve the award, don't ya think?

I'm actually working! It's just the simulations take eons to run, so I need something to kill time as I wait for the simulations to stop. So basically I'm killing time while working on the thing I'm using to kill time until results are posted.

1 minute ago, mobilehobo said:

Good luck and congrats on the HM last year! Somehow highlighting the important information has been the most consistent advice I've received over the years for this grant. Definitely something I'd recommend for everyone in the future.

Thanks! I agree that it's solid advice. Sometimes reviewers get lazy (understandably), so it's a good way to make the criteria they're reviewing for stick out.

48 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Beginning with the 2017 application, graduate students can only apply once, as either a first year or a second year student. This rule only applies if you are not a first-year grad student right now.

Thanks!  Good to know.  

Just now, FreudianSip said:

Ok finally de-lurking to join the waiting game. Good luck everybody! I'm 2nd year grad so this is my last (and first) shot. Do we have any data from previous years about # of applicants per discipline? 

This is also my first and only shot! I do believe that data exists, but I'm not sure where to find it. I think someone else posted it in this forum though.

2 minutes ago, FreudianSip said:

Ok finally de-lurking to join the waiting game. Good luck everybody! I'm 2nd year grad so this is my last (and first) shot. Do we have any data from previous years about # of applicants per discipline? 

You can sort by discipline and count, but it's a bit tedious.

https://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/grfp/AwardeeList.do?method=loadAwardeeList

So, I read my daughter Horton Hatches the Egg, and now I'm drinking another beer. Life is good.

4 minutes ago, shim12 said:

Don't do it! Not worth the stress!

I was actually wondering more about the total number of people who apply in a certain discipline.  Is it that the top 10% of applicants win it regardless of discipline, or do they aim for the top 10% of each discipline? 

Just now, FreudianSip said:

I was actually wondering more about the total number of people who apply in a certain discipline.  Is it that the top 10% of applicants win it regardless of discipline, or do they aim for the top 10% of each discipline? 

That exact number is unfortunately unknown. :) 

Sucks, right?

2 minutes ago, sierra918 said:

Is time just creeping by for everyone else? Just me??

1 minute ago, ihatechoosingusernames said:

Sooooooooooooo slllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwww

Time goes by fastest when you're sleeping... just saying :) that's my master plan! T minus 1 hour.

Just now, commodork said:

RE: the subject of therapy beer. I settled on Founder's Centennial IPA, and I have no regrets. What'd everyone else settle on?

Coop F5. Founder's, eh? That stuff is generally pretty expensive, isn't it? 

Not totally sure if this is legal, but it's the only platform for an easy chat room I know: I started an IRC chat. You can go to https://client02.chat.mibbit.com/ and enter your desired username under "Nick" and "#nsfgrfpwaiting" under channel, then hit connect. Might be fun to chill with each other until we all decide to sleep (or until the results come out)! 

Oh my god guys. I forgot about GRFP but somehow it hit me today. Are the results actually coming out tomorrow?!??! I wish I had forgotten about it until tomorrow :( Time to be disappointed but pretend I'm not