NSF GRFP 2016

sierra918

4 minutes ago, pasteltomato said:

Does anyone know if our schools/PIs are informed that we won the award? I remember entering my program director's email address in the application but I don't know if NSF will email them directly. 

No I don't believe that they do.

1 minute ago, elanorci said:

I don't know, but if I got it, I was going to forward the email to my advisor myself with a happy gif at the top :P You should defniitely let them know!! 

I'm a rotating 1st year and I had also listed the 3 PIs I rotated with on my application...

I'm in my last rotation now and all have been enjoyable, but I don't want anyone trying any harder to recruit me than they normally would because of the money (I don't know if this happens). I won't hide it from them if they ask, but it would be easier if it wasn't thrown in their faces/inboxes.

Wow. Well, that stung. Last year, I received HM. This year, my reviews were even better (glowing, with tons of props for my BIs).... nothing. I feel really bummed, you guys. I NEEDED this money to go full time. Looks like it's another 2 years to complete my master's and then another year of working FT to fulfill employer tuition benefit commitments. Really, really bummed.

I tried to have a good night's rest, but my body clock woke me up at 6 AM sharp. Got an honorable mention! I have never been so excited yet disappointed in my life. VG/G E/VG E/VG.

Did not get, VG/E, G/G, G/G. I guess my first reviewer liked me a lot more than the other two, but I didn't expect to receive the award anyway. Congrats to the winners!

Congrats to all you guys in here! 

No dice for me. VG/VG, VG/E, VG/VG. Definitely some comments that don't quite make sense sprinkled in there, like saying I need more research experience when I have 3 pubs and I did an REU with an expert in my topic. Overall I'm glad I tried. 

Edited by VulpesZerda

53 minutes ago, elanorci said:

Congrats sqxz!!! I remember you from the bio forums during my application cycle :D:D I'm so glad this worked out for you.

Thanks, I remember you too! I hope all is going well, and congrats on your HM! I felt the exact same way about my reviewers' comments last year, but I'm glad to hear your initial annoyance is already fading away. :D

Damn. Undergrad not awarded. E/E, VG/E, E/VG. 

Only comment in review that indicated anything negative was something about no publications.... Guess I will be trying to get some publications under my belt before applying again. 

Congrats to all the winners!!!! 

1 hour ago, uku said:

I didn't get it - 'two year interuption since M.S.' group - not recommended. E/E, VG/VG, F/G. I think it would easier to swallow if it wasn't for the huge range in reviewer scores! That is were the Z score are supposed to come in though I suppose.

still hard to reconcile almost every review and every category! e.g. " The hypotheses are well thought out (interesting in the case of positive or negative results) and formulated," & "research plan not hypothesis driven"

good luck to everyone yet to check!

Yep. That's my issue, too. One person says fantastic LORs, another says they're weak. One says my topic is relevant, another says it isn't. And then my undergrad gpa is an issue. Well, sorry y'all. It's a bit late to change that! 

Well... worst night of sleep ever. Glad I woke up though. Awarded. E/E E/E E/E

Undergrad/recent grad, no publications (which they DID point out but gave me an E anyway). Based on comments, I think it helps that I had a bunch of presentations plus an invited presentation at national meeting.

Thank you all for beings such a wonderful support group! Congrats to those who got it, and please don't be discouraged if you didn't get it this time. It depends on so many factors that are out of your control.

Just now, chaparral said:

Well... worst night of sleep ever. Glad I woke up though. Awarded. E/E E/E E/E

Undergrad/recent grad, no publications (which they DID point out but gave me an E anyway). Based on comments, I think it helps that I had a bunch of presentations plus an invited presentation at national meeting.

Thank you all for beings such a wonderful support group! Congrats to those who got it, and please don't be discouraged if you didn't get it this time. It depends on so many factors that are out of your control.

None of my reviewers commented on my lack of publications, but 2 really liked how many poster presentations I'd done (7, including at an international conference).

2 minutes ago, pterosaur said:

None of my reviewers commented on my lack of publications, but 2 really liked how many poster presentations I'd done (7, including at an international conference).

7 is a lot! Also, international conference is impressive.

VG/E, E/E, VG/VG: HM.

Standards seem sorta rough. The last reviewer seemed a lot less impressed with my research proposal. I'm confused as to why the person didn't score me below VG given the comments. The first person seemed to like me a lot though, outright writing 'both worthy of and in need of the support of a GRF'. I would probably be feeling less salty if it weren't for that person actually, haha. Gives me some belief that I was close.

Congratulations to everyone =) 

I got it! VG/VG, E/E, VG/E

I'm an undergrad, and I wrote my proposal primarily on chemical synthesis.

The only negative comment I got was that my proposal was technically sound but lacking in originality.