Cumulative vs. Institutional GPA

CCD2016

Is there any difference in consideration between the two GPA calculations for public affairs programs? My institutional GPA is okay and the last 2 years show a sharp increase (3.79), but with my cumulative GPA considered, my GPA ends up being 3.55. Obviously the overall consideration is complex, but I was wondering if there is any SIGNIFICANT difference in calculation when looking at the GPA's by admissions?

Your GPAs look decent either way. There is honestly a certain point with adcoms, at least those I have read or spoken with, where they are like "GPA is good, did well in key classes, what else do we have?"

Point being if you GPA is high enough where it does not really merit a major concern, do not sweat it. The adcomm by this point will want to see how good your personal statement is and what you bring to the table as a person. Focus on that instead of how your GPA might affect you at this stage.