Top Schools for Electromagnetics PhD - Am I Missing Any?

TimoKinderbaht

I am about to begin my applications to grad school. I am looking to apply to electromagnetics PhD programs in the United States and I want to make sure I'm not missing any good programs before I finalize my list. I'm more interested in programs that focus on analytical or computational electromagnetics as opposed to things like RF MEMS, RFIC design, or electronics-related research.

I've heard the following programs are good (please let me know if I'm missing any standouts, or if any I list aren't actually good!):

MIT

UIUC

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor

University of Massachusetts - Amherst

Ohio State University

Purdue

University of Texas - Austin

Georgia Tech

University of Colorado - Boulder

UCLA

Thanks!

UMich has a greater focus on sensing, RF and micro/mm-wave circuits, and RF MEMS than comp. EM as far as I know. However, Professor Leung Tsang, previously in U of Washington--Seattle, has recently joined UMich and his research is primarily in comp. EM. You also might want to look into (or ask him if he takes students or not, since his site doesn't reveal much) Prof. Eric Michielssen. Prof. Mark Kushner is in computational plasma research.

That said, I haven't arrived at the university yet. When I do, I could probably give you a better idea.

**If you are an international student, here's a note on the universities list that someone else on this forum mentioned: there's a relatively higher probability of getting accepted into private universities compared to public ones, so it's good to have them in the list as well (e.g. Stanford, Caltech, Northwestern, etc.). 

Good luck with your apps!

Thanks guys.

"If you are an international student, here's a note on the universities list that someone else on this forum mentioned: there's a relatively higher probability of getting accepted into private universities compared to public ones, so it's good to have them in the list as well (e.g. Stanford, Caltech, Northwestern, etc.)."

I'm from the United States so I don't know if this applies to me. I have no stats to back this up, but anecdotally it seems that public schools are easier to get into than private universities for US students.

"Yeah, I was also going to suggest Caltech and Stanford.  How about Carnegie Mellon?

ETA: Or Cornell?"

I know these programs are highly ranked for EE in general, but I looked into Cornell and CMU and it didn't seem like they had a strong focus on electromagnetics research. If you know of any such research being done at those schools, please point me in the right direction because I haven't been very successful in finding any.