Help for choosing universities phd Neuroscience

matiasandina

I am an international student. We don't have many of the american systems (GPA, etc).

I will try to use the template given on other questions as far as I can.

Institution:

Undergrad + Masters: Biggest state school, good reputation (around 250 in global ranks) 

The degree is a Biology degree but I've spent last 3 years doing neuroscience/molecular biology courses + research 

Overall GPA: around 3.3/4 (the real is around 8.3/10) 

Position in Class: slightly above the historic average (7.9/10)

Type of Student: international male

GRE Scores (revised/old version): Taking in two weeks. Quant practice is around 160, Verbal is around 155
Q: 
V: 
W: 
B: should I?
TOEFL: 104/120

Research Experience:

2.5 years in a memory lab doing behavioral tests and western blot.

The research has been quite slow because I had to standarize a new recording device using a shifting natural population (so I was never sure if I was doing things wrong or the sample was not helping or both).

At least I have had a good experience with experimental design, statistics and I am taking my first solid steps using R on my own.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

2 congress poster presentations ?

thesis coming on december but not publishing?

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

School teacher

Founded private lessons company which lasted 3 years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Youtube channel with more than 150 videos and 1M total views? (kahn accademy style)

Special Bonus Points:

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

This is the big question. I want to have a quality jump in my career. I want to learn state of the art techniques and having the resources to actually do research with them instead of smiling to the papers. I want to focus on behavioral neuroscience, addiction and memory. I try to compare with some descriptions given by others in this forum and I find myself without a chance. Although I've written some emails and actually got one "I encourage you to apply to the phd program in this around top 20 University program" I don't think I stand a chance. I might have 3 letters of recommendations but, since in our country we normally do research in only one lab, I will have 1 from my PI (not a huge name) and 2 from professors which are very recognized but work in other fields (and also just know me because I was a pretty good student in their classes so they can't say much about my research abilities).  

I tried to make a more holistic approach (consider lifestyle and cultural change) but I still think I'm going to be applying places out of my league. These ones are:

UC San Diego

NYU

Cornell

Cold Spring Harbor

Yale *

Washington University in St. Louis *

* I don't think I have even a tiny chance here

I've also seen some interesting places in Canada (Toronto and Mcgill). Finally, since taking the Biochem GRE (I will probably take it) and also applying will cost a lot I'm trying to avoid as much as possible the spending money roulette and apply where I have solid chances. I've been given the advice to chose a strategy of 1 "dream school", 1 "realistic school" and 1 "for sure school". In order to follow the advice I would need to know what are my realistic and for sure chances at least (I can always dream huge and apply to Harvard med school)

Thanks! 

Hey as a Canadian here, I would say Toronto and McGill have fantastic Neuroscience-based programs. You may also want to look at McMaster University too. It is about an hour away from Toronto, and has an excellent Neuroscience program called MiNDS.

Good luck!

I'm currently in a similar situation, so I have just decided to apply to a couple top schools as well as a couple lower-down as back-ups. If you haven't already found this site, here's an easy interactive way to compare programs: http://www.phds.org/rankings/neuroscience

Also, not sure if you are limiting options based on cities you want to live in, but UNC Chapel Hill has a pretty good program and so does Oregon Health and Science University.