Employment and Public Affairs

TheCrow

How important is it that your degree name is "MPP" or MPA"? I applied to a number or programs and I ultimately decided to attend the University of Chicago's School of Social Service Administration. I received a lot of funding and will graduate with minimal debt. The program is a great fit and field placements are an important part of the curriculum. I can apply for a joint degree with the Harris school, but they seem pretty infamous for rarely offering significant aid and there's the opportunity cost of the additional year of study. My goal is to get a PhD in Social Welfare (our field requires you to have both the professional master's degree and the PhD, unlike public policy), but I also want to make sure that I'm employable in traditional government affairs/public policy jobs.

One reason I felt comfortable choosing SSA is that I majored in economics, mathematics, and sociology as an undergraduate. Most of the core courses of the MPP program seem to duplicate what I had as an undergraduate or are offered as part of my degree program in SSA. I can also cross-register for up to three classes in Harris. The degree I'm pursuing is officially an M.A. in Social Service Administration. Is it going to be difficult for me to compete for the same type of jobs as MPP graduates? Are there any courses in particular I should take in Harris to increase my employability? 

I am not familiar with what one needs to be competitive in social work, but as far as jobs in public policy go, the degree itself is not going to be as important as what you get out of your education. Unless you are applying for jobs that are highly academic, which would require transcripts, I would say focus more on building yourself an experience that can showcase and hone your professional skills. Securing an internship during the summer, or school year if time permits, is very helpful.

In the field of public policy, many have master's degree in something. What employers want is someone who is not only strong academically but also shows traits of a mature, professional individual with tangible skills. That being said, I think it would be a mistake to invest too much in the trivial aspects of your degree instead of thinking what you can do to make yourself distinguished as a professional.

Edited by KenBesonders