Do I pick a thesis adviser now or will I get assigned one after being admitted?

paulwece

Applying for UIUC, ECE program for masters degree. I'm applying for Spring 2016.

Got a 170 quant, 167 verbal on the GRE. GPA for last 2 years is around 3.8. Cumulative GPA is around 3.5.

I want to maximize my chance of being admitted. Would it be to my benefit to talk to a few professors that I'm interested in right now? Or is that only necessary if I'm going for PhD?

Because I sent two professors emails and did not get a response. I'm thinking about following up later next week. But then again, maybe we are supposed to wait until we are admitted and then an adviser would be assigned to us? In another, what I'm doing now is completely unnecessary...

Can you guys give some advice?

Thanks

BTW, how are my chances?

Hi Paul, I'll answer although this is just my opinion and this is a controversial area, but most people on this forum would agree you are doing the right thing. I think for an MS it is probably less important and during summer some of the profs might be less available. I wouldn't blast out an email every day, more like what you are doing. I think the consensus is that it can't hurt and might help.

BTW, that's a fantastic GRE score.

I tried contacting before and after my applications, and after I got acceptances. Got one reply from a PI after I applied, and he asked me to contact him after I get accepted. Unfortunately, I was rejected from that uni. None of the other professors I contacted before acceptance bothered replying. One PI from the uni I'm going to replied when I contacted him after acceptance, and he said he could consider me, but he'll decide on that after I arrive on campus. None of the other professors here whom I contacted replied when I asked them about possible research opportunities. So yeah, that's how my experience was; yours could be a lot different. In fact, it could be much better.

But to answer your question, no, you're not required to contact professors for a Master's degree. You could possibly land yourself an RA if you do, but that's better done after your acceptance (from my experience).

I'm not sure about UIUC, but at UM we'll be assigned our "academic advisors" at our department orientation, and the research advisor is to be chosen later (if an RA isn't secured before the start of the program).

Your GPA and GRE scores are all excellent. Good luck!

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. I'm new at this so any advice would be highly appreciated it. Some more details about myself:

1. Although I did great on the quantitative and verbal section of the GRE, I just got my analytical writing score today and it's only a 4. This was a shock because I thought I did much better. But I understand the writing section is rather subjective when it comes to grading. Hopefully this won't affect me too much. After all, 4 is still "adequate" according to ETS.

2. Although my GPA for the last two years is good, my cumulative is only around 3.5 because I had a depression in the first two semesters and didn't do too well. I have a doctor's note for this, but the department said they don't require the note, only asking me to write about it in my personal statement. I will write about it for sure, as the theme of my life now is the great comeback I've made since then.

A few random questions:

1. Do state schools show preference for in state students? For example, I really want to go to UIUC, and I'm an Illinois resident. Not only will I enjoy lower tuition, will it be easier to get accepted compared to out of state students? I will also be applying to a few other schools in different states as backups, but obviously my preference is UIUC due to multitude of reasons, some are obvious.

2. I think I get the point that it's probably not too helpful to talk to a professor before applying, especially for masters. But I'm relatively close to UIUC and I want to drive there in the coming weeks anyway. Even if I get to talk to an advisor in the department, I think it would still be helpful. Any personal connections you can build at this stage can't hurt right? Or would this be a bad idea? 

3. Since the programs I'm applying to are competitive, I'm not counting on any "scholarships." In order to cut down on expense, I want to be a RA or TA. But even if I get accepted, this is not guaranteed right? BTW, is this what people are talking about when they say they "got admitted with funding"?

Thanks

AWA 4 is usually considered "safe". i.e., it can't hurt you and in engineering I would think this is plenty good.

for random question 1, I think this might depend on policy and budgets which vary

for random 2, why not try to ask the advisor if you can talk to a prof when you're there

for r3, PhD programs are usually funded, MS varies so YMMV

Edited by eyepod

1. An AWA 4 is sufficient in most cases. Like eyepod said, you're in the safe zone.

2. Achieving an average of 3.8 in the last 2 years proves that you can do well and understand the higher level courses. However, competition is tough--could be a little less for Spring, but still. Make your SOP strong and hope for the best. :)

Random 2: The first PI I mentioned in my previous post was an old friend of my undergrad thesis advisor (I mentioned him in my email). Sometimes connections help. I now wonder if it was because of that that he replied to such an early email of mine. Anyway, it is a very good idea to visit school to get a feel of them before applying; helps in building a better tailored SOP as opposed to a general one. And yes, you'll likely make some connections too which could help later when you're admitted.

Random 3: I see a lot of funded UIUC ECE Master's admits in GradCafe's results search. They're all either RAs or TAs.

• 2 weeks later...

shinigamiasuka, why do you think competition can be a little less for Spring? Sure, there will be fewer applicants, but they might have way way less openings. 

I definitely agree that connections help. I emailed two professors there last week and have gotten no response. I think I will follow up again (and write "follow up" on the title), because I heard professors are more likely to respond if you show sincerity by following up. I will just ask for chance to chat, that's all, for some possible career/academic advices. After all, I am highly interested in their fields but I'm not yet well versed in it. Through a chat, they can give me advice on what I can do in the Fall semester to better prepare myself. I won't even mention anything about RA or TA for now.

And if I still don't get a reply? I will drive down there next week (school starts next week) and will try to catch them in their office hours. I figure this will show them that I'm completely serious. What do you think?

Spring admits for most programs are almost non-existent. There are usually course sequences you need to complete (especially in 2 year Masters) that make spring admits difficult for full time students.

If you live close enough, there is nothing wrong with reaching out to the department about setting up a visit. I would suggest contacting the department admin, let them know you are a prospective student looking to visit, and that you would like to set up meetings with the DGS or professors. My department doesn't fly in MAs, but will usually let them come to a class/meet profs on request.

One suggestion is to look to see if the department is hosting any talks/conferences/grad research fair type events. These things are often open to the general public, and will give you an excuse to visit. Your program looks like they have a number of open events in the coming weeks/months, so I would start there. http://www.ece.illinois.edu/calendar

Once you decide to visit, then email professors and say something like "Hi, my name is XXXX and I'm planning to apply here next year. I will be on campus to attend YYYYY on ZZZZZ and was wondering if you would have some time to meet with me before/after it." This gives them a specific need to address, a timeline, and the purpose of you visit.

As to your funding question, my friend at that program (a decade ago) told me students are usually admitted to the MS without funding, then are given resources/ideas/opportunities to find them on their own. My own program, in a different field, has a similar approach, even though most MAs wind up funded for both years through the department. You'll probably be looking at RA/TA slots, but keep an eye out for GAships throughout the department and university as well. Some (like Residence Life) will have deadlines that come earlier than acceptances, but you still will want to apply.

School's definately want to accept as many graduate students as possible: instate students are cheaper for the first year (compared to both out of state and international), so they will be more likely to accept instate students to help with budgets. Especially in masters programs that only last 2 years. 

Yeah, Spring really does depend on the school.  My old school offered Spring admission, but only a few students were accepted.  I was a Spring admit and there was just one other person at my "orientation" (read: building tour + placement testing).  Apparently, my school has gotten more stringent over time.  Now, the department's site says that Spring admission is rare--1 student per year--unless the student belongs to a lab group that moved to the university mid-year.  

You guys are right that spring admission is rare. In fact, out of all the schools that I'm interested, only 2 offers spring application, and aside from UIUC, I'm not really that interested in the other one. In order to take some of the anxiety and pressure off, perhaps I should consider reapplying for fall of next year in case I don't get in for spring. I would have way more options if I apply for fall (more schools, more programs), not to mention a chance to boost my GPA further with my grades next semester.

The drawback is that I have to wait for 9 month in between. What are some good ways to not waste this time? I can perhaps get a temporary job?

Okay, so yesterday I followed up with the two professors I contacted and stated that I plan on visiting the campus next week and asked if they have some time to chat and that I would like to visit them in their office hours. One professor replied "

Paul:

Unfortunately, I shall not be able to meeet with you next week.

That's all he wrote. I don't know if this means he doesn't want to meet with me ever, or just busy next week. Should I reply and ask him what time would he be available? I can reschedule my visit just for a chance to meet him. 

Now, if he actually meant he doesn't want to meet with me ever, then of course I wouldn't want to keep on pressing it.

Please advise, thanks

shinigamiasuka, why do you think competition can be a little less for Spring? Sure, there will be fewer applicants, but they might have way way less openings. 

Because less people apply. If the seats are far fewer, then it would be tougher, so it depends.

Okay, so yesterday I followed up with the two professors I contacted and stated that I plan on visiting the campus next week and asked if they have some time to chat and that I would like to visit them in their office hours. One professor replied "

Paul:

Unfortunately, I shall not be able to meeet with you next week.

That's all he wrote. I don't know if this means he doesn't want to meet with me ever, or just busy next week. Should I reply and ask him what time would he be available? I can reschedule my visit just for a chance to meet him. 

Now, if he actually meant he doesn't want to meet with me ever, then of course I wouldn't want to keep on pressing it.

Please advise, thanks

He's either out of town or too busy. Reply him asking when he can. I hardly suppose it's anything to fret over. If he wasn't interested, he wouldn't have responded.

Because less people apply. If the seats are far fewer, then it would be tougher, so it depends.

He's either out of town or too busy. Reply him asking when he can. I hardly suppose it's anything to fret over. If he wasn't interested, he wouldn't have responded.

I hope you are right that he meant he is busy. I emailed him back asking about time in the following week or even further down the road. I was respectful, and reiterated my interest in his work.

In the meantime, I also found 3 other professors in the department with research areas closely related to what I want to do. I'm thinking about emailing them as well. Of course, I wouldn't send the same email to everyone. Rather, I will do my research on each professor and their work carefully and craft an email for each one individually.  Should I do this? I don't want to be seen as "spamming" the department. The professors might appear on the admission committee.

At the same time, I want to be in good contact with at least one professor before the end of next week because the application asks me to name a professor I've been in touch with. From what I've read, I feel by leaving this field blank would damage my application significantly or even outright eliminate it from running.

So please me if it's appropriate to contact 3 or 4 professors in the same department simultaneously. I feel from a benefit/risk analysis given the situation, I feel I should do that.

Thanks

Edited by paulwece

...a little update on contacting professors.

I  emailed four professors because their research area is closest to what I want to do. I actually checked out every professor in the ECE department before finalizing my choices down to four. Then, I went through their research and wrote a targeted email to each. I feel this is the correct way, as opposed to spamming a lot of professors in the department, because you never know who is going to be on the admission committee.

Three professors replied. One agreed to meet me in 3 weeks. Another told me he doesn't have any positions open for next year. The third professor told me he's on sabbatical in Vietnam now. Is this a pretty good result? I plan to thank the professor that said he doesn't have positions, just to be courteous. As for the professor on sabbatical, should I reply in a way that leaves future opportunities open?

thanks

Edited by paulwece