Programs with focus on clinical?

mollydh

Which programs have more focus on clinical skills?  Where should i stay away from?  (only looking to live in a city, for the most part)

Any of these that I should be aware of because they're more focused on policy, writing, and less so on field work and clinical skills?

*Disclaimer: I know that each education is what you make of it, but I'm just trying to get a sense of where I want to apply :)

UC Berkeley

Simmons

Boston University

NYU

WUSTL

Hunter

University of Pennsylvania

Temple

University of Denver

University of Chicago

I have been trying to answer the same question.  Unfortunately, I've had to go through each program individually to get a sense of that.  Since most all programs offer a clinical concentration, this can be kind of tough.  I have found it helpful to look through the curriculum.  Programs that have a heavy research component (more than two courses), a thesis, etc. can generally be considered more policy oriented, although not necessarily; some programs deliberately emphasize a balanced curriculum.  I have been inclined to think that programs with lots of course offerings on assessment, crisis intervention, grief, trauma, etc. are more clinical.  But there doesn't seem to be an easy way to judge that.  If you figure out a better way, let me know!

I know UC Berkeley does not focus heavily on clinical. 

Also as another poster said, the best way to find out is to go through each school's website and read their descriptions of their programs. They usually mention what skills or areas they tend to focus on. Do your own research! 

Edited by pickfights