Whats the difference between MA and MS for speech??

Is one just more research based?/ should that be a big factor in considering schools? Also I am using Ed find on ASHA and am a little confused on the difference between speech -language pathology and speech and hearing sciences?? Sorry if these are dumb questions I'm a little bit new to the game haha. Thanks for your help :)

Edited by nat22

This thread helps answer a bit. There's not really a big difference. For some schools doing a thesis means you'll have an MS. I don't think you should factor MA vs MS in. There's even an M.Ed too. You'll still be an slp with whichever one you get. 

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't matter. I'll be going to a M.Ed program.

I hate to be 'that' girl and bring back dead threads, but...

Do you know if having an M. Ed affects your ability to get medical placement positions later on? Because my favorite of my two safety schools is an M. Ed, and if I end up going there I don't want to potentially lose out on my dream position in a hospital because of the title of my degree.

Edited by Puffer Fish
fixed typo

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to be 'that' girl and bring back dead threads, but...

Do you know if having an M. Ed affects your ability to get medical placement positions later on? Because my favorite of my two safety schools is an M. Ed, and if I end up going there I don't want to potentially lose out on my dream position in a hospital because of the title of my degree.

Ha - now I'm resurrecting, lol.  I wouldn't think it would matter - all of us have to pass the same exams etc.  Kind of like how a doctor of osteopathy (DO) has a different title than an MD, but still has to pass the same medical board exam and has the same privileges practicing medicine.  That being said, you might not be able to count on a full time position in a top notch hospital if your chosen school doesn't have a strong medical emphasis - at least initially.  

The SLP I work with (at my small hospital) started there within a year or so of graduation - and she is the head SLP.  So you may have to start small, but honestly I wouldn't stress as our profession is one that offers an incredible amount of mobility.  I have a friend who has worked as a travel SLP, then as a hospital SLP and now she works for a school district.  This is one of the things that excites me about our field: high demand coupled with the ability to move around in the field should you want to.