MBA School: Local or abroad?

LeNa

Hi, I'm Lena from The Netherlands. I took up business course when I was in college and been working for more than 2 years now. A lot of prestigious schools in here offer MBA courses but I am thinking of completing mine abroad. I would love to hear your suggestions on this especially to those who have already finished their MBA degree. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on where you want to work, what you want to do, and what you mean by "abroad." Even if you plan to return to the Netherlands, there are lots of MBA and other business programs that are well-known internationally. A Harvard or Wharton MBA is likely to be able to find work anywhere in the world, and I'm pretty sure there are equivalent programs in the UK and maybe other western European countries.

However, the flip isn't necessarily true - if you wanted to come work in the U.S., an MBA from a Dutch program might be less recognizable.

Some programs may also have special concentrations that appeal to you.

You might do better on MBA-oriented sites, like GMAT Club or Poets & Quants.  

As Juillet said, it depends on what "abroad" means to you.  Here, in the states, the most highly regarded European b-schools are INSEAD and maybe LBS (recognizable names also include Cambridge's Judge biz school and IESE in Spain).  But, if you have no interest in working in the US, this doesn't matter.  Find out what schools are most highly regarded where you want to work.  Also, in certain countries outside of North America, an Ivy will always carry weight (even if the Ivy League school isn't noted for its MBA program...Yale, for example).