questions about musicology phd application (Fall 2016)

musicologypl

Hi everyone,

I am an international student, currently a second-year master student in musicology in an American university. I would like to apply Phd in musicology this upcoming fall. The following is my current status: 

GPA: master 4.0; undergraduate (musicology major as well) 3.87;

Toefl: 111 (Reading 30; Listening 27; Speaking 26; Writing 28)

GRE: Verbal 152, Math 167, Writing(unavailable now)

Paper: I might present a paper in a chapter conference this fall; I once published a critical paper in a non-English journal.

Currently, I am little bit worried about my GRE score, since I would like to apply those best programs in musicology.  I am afraid that I don't have enough time to work on GRE again, coz I need to take courses, revise my PS and papers. 

But according to your experience, do you suggest I need to retake GRE again to get more than 155 in verbal section? I am not sure how much GRE will be evaluated by faculties in those best programs?

Hi! I am also applying to PhD programs in musicology this fall and am re-taking the GRE this Thursday in hopes of boosting my quantitative score. If you're interested to see how your scores compare against other GRE-takers who intend to major in musicology, you can check out this chart from the ETS website: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_table4_extended.pdf (the musicology info is on page 12) According to the data, your verbal score is a little low compared with other musicology scores, so a re-take may be worth considering. On the other hand, your quantitative score is outstanding (congratulations!), and your overall score is respectable. 

Personally, I decided to take it again because I had time this summer to study and prepare. It sounds like you will have a lot going on, so I'm sure the decision for you will be a little more difficult. Maybe the writing score will help you decide one way or the other. In either case, good luck with applications! 

• 1 month later...

Hi! I am also applying to PhD programs in musicology this fall and am re-taking the GRE this Thursday in hopes of boosting my quantitative score. If you're interested to see how your scores compare against other GRE-takers who intend to major in musicology, you can check out this chart from the ETS website: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_table4_extended.pdf (the musicology info is on page 12) According to the data, your verbal score is a little low compared with other musicology scores, so a re-take may be worth considering. On the other hand, your quantitative score is outstanding (congratulations!), and your overall score is respectable. 

Personally, I decided to take it again because I had time this summer to study and prepare. It sounds like you will have a lot going on, so I'm sure the decision for you will be a little more difficult. Maybe the writing score will help you decide one way or the other. In either case, good luck with applications! 

Hi everyone,

I am an international student, currently a second-year master student in musicology in an American university. I would like to apply Phd in musicology this upcoming fall. The following is my current status: 

GPA: master 4.0; undergraduate (musicology major as well) 3.87;

Toefl: 111 (Reading 30; Listening 27; Speaking 26; Writing 28)

GRE: Verbal 152, Math 167, Writing(unavailable now)

Paper: I might present a paper in a chapter conference this fall; I once published a critical paper in a non-English journal.

Currently, I am little bit worried about my GRE score, since I would like to apply those best programs in musicology.  I am afraid that I don't have enough time to work on GRE again, coz I need to take courses, revise my PS and papers. 

But according to your experience, do you suggest I need to retake GRE again to get more than 155 in verbal section? I am not sure how much GRE will be evaluated by faculties in those best programs?

I think it very much depends on the individual institutions, but—from my experience—the scores don't really matter. My verbal score was same as yours. I applied to 5 musicology programs last year and got into 3 of them... Moreover, I received the best possible financial package from the one that stated an impossibly high standard as the average score for their accepted students on their website. My advice: put your money, time, and efforts into another aspect of your application.

I think it very much depends on the individual institutions, but—from my experience—the scores don't really matter. My verbal score was same as yours. I applied to 5 musicology programs last year and got into 3 of them... Moreover, I received the best possible financial package from the one that stated an impossibly high standard as the average score for their accepted students on their website. My advice: put your money, time, and efforts into another aspect of your application.

Thank you InTheory. Your experience is very encouraging for me. Would you like to share your admission background last year? What programs did you get offer, if you don't mind sharing?

Your scores are probably fine. Every music professor that I've ever heard talk about GRE scores has said that their admissions committees pretty much don't even look at GRE scores. I'm sure there are places where they are a factor, and I've that there are places where the graduate school or university as a whole has minimum score requirements (although I've never actually of specific institutions that do this), but generally speaking I think the GRE score is probably a non-factor. I imagine that committees also know that GRE verbal scores don't accurately reflect anyone's actual understanding of language, much less understanding and ability for international students.

You might want to get in touch with the director of graduate studies or a professor of interest at places you're considering applying and ask them about how they weigh GRE scores. I think a lot of times, places will be pretty straight-forward with you about what they value.

Your scores are probably fine. Every music professor that I've ever heard talk about GRE scores has said that their admissions committees pretty much don't even look at GRE scores. I'm sure there are places where they are a factor, and I've that there are places where the graduate school or university as a whole has minimum score requirements (although I've never actually of specific institutions that do this), but generally speaking I think the GRE score is probably a non-factor. I imagine that committees also know that GRE verbal scores don't accurately reflect anyone's actual understanding of language, much less understanding and ability for international students.

You might want to get in touch with the director of graduate studies or a professor of interest at places you're considering applying and ask them about how they weigh GRE scores. I think a lot of times, places will be pretty straight-forward with you about what they value.

Thank you so much Kccur. I am less jittery about GRE now. 

• 2 months later...

Hi!  I'm applying to Musicology as well, applied to 8 schools.  Where did you apply?  I'm a nervous wreck, and I'm constantly checking my email.  Most schools have already told me they won't review until January, but one school (Indiana) does....I think.  I have not gotten an interview invite (yet) from Indiana, and I'm not sure if they should have already been sent.  Ahhhhh  

On December 23, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Musicologist said:

Hi!  I'm applying to Musicology as well, applied to 8 schools.  Where did you apply?  I'm a nervous wreck, and I'm constantly checking my email.  Most schools have already told me they won't review until January, but one school (Indiana) does....I think.  I have not gotten an interview invite (yet) from Indiana, and I'm not sure if they should have already been sent.  Ahhhhh  

On December 24, 2015 at 0:01 AM, felagund said:

I just did a gradcafe results search, it looks like one person was sent a Musicology interview invite from Indiana on Dec 15th.

Yes, Indiana sends out interview invites in mid-December (I got mine last year).