Benefits of a Masters in Sociology?

James Shaw

Maybe I haven't done enough research - however, I recently received my BA in Sociology and I loved studying it while in Undergrad - but I just cannot see the benefit of a masters degree in sociology because my bachelors barely serves a purpose for me. What kind of careers are people looking to have after receiving their masters? I know people who want to do research, but after writing a thesis for undergrad - it doesn't seem to be the path for me. 

I'm just curious because I would love to continue studying it if I knew I wouldn't be "throwing away more money". 

Some terminal MA programs in sociology offer the opportunity to do community-based internships in conjunction with earning a master's degree in sociology.  I am in a program that offers that option, but I'm not taking that track.  At the university where I am, students who take that route finish their master's degree in a year, get about 70% of their tuition waived, and get experience in working with community non-profit programs.  A good option if you wish to use sociology to engage with the community.

Additionally, you can teach at some two-year colleges with a Master's degree (and whatever teaching certification is necessary, of course).  

Also what MaxWeberhasaPosse said.