Vanier 2015-2016

smw123

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone else find out they're going on to the national competition?

More proposal and CCV editing...

My supervisor informed me on Tuesday that I was selected for the national competition!

Edited by Sevenoffs
Wrong day.

In my case my university was the one to tell me, as a current doctoral student.

By the way, did you all notice that the font requirements allow Arial 10 point? Everyone seems to think this is too small, but from what I saw, they read these online so it doesn't matter, they just want something at least that big which is clear enough on a screen.

I find that a lot of Vanier advice seems to actually be SSHRC/CIHR/etc doctoral award advice, without paying attention to specifics of Vanier instructions.

That's nice your school actually informs you! I was damn thankful my supervisor told me, as grad studies had told me I had to wait until final results to find out anything.

And I did not notice the font. Although I submitted awhile ago at the end of August, so my memory may just suck. 

Edited by Sevenoffs

A friend of mine won last year and she was told of a few tiny tweeks to the application the day before it was due to the competition. Another person I know was asked to reapply under CIHR from SSHRC this week. So I'm not sure what to think. They don't communicate with our supervisors but us directly here. Weird how each institution does it differently. Yes I noticed the 10 Arial ad used it myself. I had to cut waaaay back from my Vanier for regular SSHRC. Even the margins are different. Odd!

Still on eggshells waiting for news.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Same. My Trudeau application went to national last year but did not even bother to apply this year because it seemed that you need to have written about 10 books, been the mayor of a medium sized town, discovered a new particle or element, invented solar power, and also be photogenic in order to win that one. 

It was really the photogenic part that put me over the edge. Obviously I've authored 11 books and been a mayor of an entirely solar powered town. But the camera is not kind to me. :)

Do you all remember what time the results were posted last year? Was it on time? On the 30th? I want to book a yoga class or something so I am unable to look.

• 2 weeks later...