Vanier 2015-2016

smw123

No luck for me as well. It's the hope that kills you! I feel like Leo at the Oscars.

Just have to keep reminding myself that I started this off optimistic albeit with low expectations of actually being funded. Over the waiting period, the seed of hope keeps growing and you start to get emotionally attached to the outcome. But in the end, we put ourselves out there and made the conscious decision to go for the reward (at the risk of a hurt ego) - at worst, we thicken our skin and come out stronger and more resilient. Just one of the long line of challenges in our career.

Best of luck, hopefully someone gets one of the small number awarded, and if not, good luck on the regular CGS application!

By the way, does anyone know if the school also receives a copy of the individual rankings? Hopefully this doesn't change the future support of the department in re-applying.

Edited by user123279fds

32 minutes ago, user123279fds said:

No luck for me as well. It's the hope that kills you! I feel like Leo at the Oscars.

Just have to keep reminding myself that I started this off optimistic albeit with low expectations of actually being funded. Over the waiting period, the seed of hope keeps growing and you start to get emotionally attached to the outcome.

Exactly! I didn't REALLY expect to get it, but I was hoping.. it would have made so much of a difference in getting my research to secondary schools. Also, I literally don't understand why my leadership score was so low. It's a little depressing.

FYI, CIHR funded 55 out of 185. My CIHR ranking was horrible... Feels crappy - especially at this high level when we all expect the best of ourselves. But I guess I would feel even worse if this was my ranking for the regular CGS applications as well. Oh well, at least I know the (small handful) of people with an even worse ranking than me are feeling the same way.

I still can't believe it, but I was selected, actually awarded a Vanier CGS from SSHRC. I applied last year and was not selected, so if any of you are still eligible for next year, be sure to apply again. I almost didn't after the disappointment of not getting it last year. But look at the numbers and you can see that it's almost like a lottery, my applications were basically the same last year (plus new accomplishments) and this year, but obviously different reviewers read them. My academic ranking, for example, makes no sense as I have all above 95% grades...

It's a serious honor to have been nominated to the national competition, obviously what happens after that isn't very scientific but just depends on who reviews your application.

My score and rank this year:

1. Academic Excellence: 5.00
2. Research Potential: 8.90
3. Leadership: 7.75

Overall Average score: 7.22

My ranking was in the 20s out of 181 for SSHRC. They awarded 56 for SSHRC.

Last year however, my score and ranking:

1. Academic Excellence: 4.50
2. Research Potential: 3.00
3. Leadership: 5.50

Overall Average score: 4.33

My ranking last year was in the 120s out of 192. They awarded 55 for SSHRC last year.

Congrats Dan!

I got:

1. Academic Excellence: 5.00
2. Research Potential: 6.65
3. Leadership: 6.75

Overall Average score: 6.13

My ranking was 61. Apparently, I'm on the waiting list! Though, I have zero hope. Does anyone have experience of being on the waiting list or heard of one in this situation?

Congratulations DanJackson. Great to hear your persistence paid off and inspires me to apply again next year. 

For those unsuccessful last year (and Dan), I'm curious what happened with your regular CGS application? Did you apply and also get declined for the regular CGS? Was it still a crap shoot? Or did you just choose not to apply to the CGS and only the Vanier? 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I was desperately searching the internet in hopes of finding some discussion threads about previous Vanier applicants and awardees. Congrats to all those who were successful, I am in awe of your huge accomplishment.

So, I am currently in talks with the department at my institution regarding a potential nomination for the 2016-17 application cycle, and was hoping you would share some of your wisdom with a newbie. (This will be my first application, and unfortunately my last due to my program start date).

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your responses =]