2016 Ecology/Evolution/Organismal/Marine Biology Applicants

otherss

On 1/28/2016 at 5:22 AM, cephnerd said:

Whoa. How many interviews are you guys doing per visit? I just got one of my schedules and I'm set up for 12 in one day...plus another over Skype with a faculty member who will be away during my recruitment visit. 

At my visit this week I'm scheduled to meet with 15 faculty in one day... (They're all interviewing in pairs aside from one professor, so only 8 interviews all up.)

On 1/28/2016 at 1:22 PM, cephnerd said:

Whoa. How many interviews are you guys doing per visit? I just got one of my schedules and I'm set up for 12 in one day...plus another over Skype with a faculty member who will be away during my recruitment visit. 

I know the feeling!  I was totally surprised when I received my first schedule.  I've been invited to 4 interviews, 2 of which I've already attended, another 1 of which I've received my schedule.  At the first place I visited, I had 11 thirty minute meetings, but a couple of those were meant to cover the specifics of the grad program (stipend, resources available, etc.).  At the 2nd place, I don't actually remember off the top of my head how many interviews I had (I didn't even get my schedule until I arrived), but each meeting was about 30-40 minutes.  I want to say I had 6 or 7 interviews on interview day, plus general info sessions with all the prospectives.  According to the other schedule I received, I have 9 meetings, including a 1 hr block with my POI.  My first interview day was definitely exhausting -- to talk about so much science non-stop while quickly switching between topics, always trying to have something interesting to say or ask, was draining, but I've been told by several people that it was good practice for faculty interviews (which apparently consist of two of those days).  I was definitely ready for a beer by the end of the day.  My last interview day didn't feel nearly as intense.  I think part of it definitely comes down to how busy the faculty is.  I would've had more interviews at the 2nd place, but many of the people I would've liked to chat with were already booked, e.g., by the time my POI reached out to them.  At the first place, I was the only prospective student on that day.  Good luck!  :-) 

• 3 weeks later...

Have had four interviews total and just got my first admission offer. Visited U mich. WashU, TAMU and UVa, got an offer from UVa and have not heard back from the other three.

Just saw on the results page that someone had been notified by their PI at Scripps Marine Bio that they had been accepted. The post's notes said email notifications would come "later" but I don't know if that is later today, this week, this month...

I got accepted into the Richard Gilder school at AMNH. I wanted to go there until I heard so much negativity about a handful of its scientists. I am finding it hard to go through with rejecting them, especially since I still have to hear back from two schools I would like to go to and since I am probably one of only five or so students that got in.

Anybody in this thread have any information regarding the Pitt Ecology and Evolution Department? I went on a visitation weekend early February, but have yet to be notified of a decision.

On 3/15/2016 at 8:38 AM, Ryggy said:

Anybody in this thread have any information regarding the Pitt Ecology and Evolution Department? I went on a visitation weekend early February, but have yet to be notified of a decision.

The results survey is often a good place to gauge whether offers have been extended. With respect to Pitt, I know they have made a few decisions at this point - I just declined their offer, so I hope that spot is now available for somebody else! Good luck!

Edited by cephnerd

On March 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM, hipstermermaid said:

Just saw on the results page that someone had been notified by their PI at Scripps Marine Bio that they had been accepted. The post's notes said email notifications would come "later" but I don't know if that is later today, this week, this month...

I got that official letter within a couple days. I know someone else that's been accepted as well - it all depends on when your PI makes the decision. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2016 at 2:47 PM, TWitt said:

I also applied to ucsc eeb, I have not heard anything from them yet. 

Heard anything yet? Just got my rejection. I really thought I had a great connected research-wise here. I think I'm pretty much screwed now. Looks like no PhD for me.

Hi guys!! :D 

I am also an EEB applicant, so thought I would write and say hello! Applied to University of Michigan EEB (MS), Penn State (Bio, Phd), and McGill (NEO Bio). Unfortunately got rejected from U of Michigan (top choice) a few weeks ago, but was accepted into McGill and Penn State - and attending McGill! 

Congrats to those who got into University of Michigan! From what I have heard, the EEB program is FANTASTIC! :lol: