2016 Applicants

There's a thread for Canadians specifically already, but none for the rest of us!

How goes your applications, folks? I know CSDCAS doesn't open until September 17 but surely there's still progress being made like letters and statements and non-CSDCAS programs.

Right now I'm having the "fun" of LoR writers not emailing me back and difficulty editing my SOP. I only have one draft but I need to modify it so a separate draft fits my non-research schools.

I'm glad this thread started! I'm in your boat. I have to start asking people soon for those LoR's, but I've been studying for my GRE next week and editing my SOP. Wanted to get the GRE out of the way before school starts up for me. I'm nervous that my numbers are too low, but I'm sure most people are at this point.  I've tried so hard to study for the GRE... doing a Kapalan test prep, and I have three books and a flash card app, yet I feel like my score never changes.  Sighhhh. Also waiting anxiously for CSDCAS. 

After I posted this thread this morning, I finished 80% of Penn State's application (aka: all the personal info sans transcripts, personal statements, and LoRs) and today after work I did the same with University of Maryland and University of Virginia. The other 3 schools I'm applying to (James Madison University, West Virginia University, University of Pittsburgh) use CSDCAS so I have to wait. UVA doesn't mind using unofficial transcripts, so I actually have half of those listed already. UMD and PSU seem to want official transcript scans...

But! Starting is always my hardest part, so the fact that I've made headway on applications gives me (hopefully) enough momentum to start really buckling down on my statement. 

Edited by Puffer Fish

This is  great thread, thanks for making it!

I have applied to five school for the Spring Semester Grad program: Grand Valley State, Appalachian state, Eastern Michigan University, University of Central Florida, and Alabama A&M.

So far I have not gotten any responses. Grand Valley and Eastern's application due dates were August 15th so I am waiting eagerly by the mail box each day!

Good luck getting those applications and LoR! it's tough but it will be worth it you guys!

I do not, slp2be1106, but bakenator might since they applied for spring!

In my app news, I discovered today that the reason my letter writers never got back to me to verify that they would still write for me...is because my email address from the school is broken and won't receive emails! With an updated email address sent out, I now have confirmation from 2/3 of them, even if I do feel like a huge doofus.

Pro tips for other applicants: make sure your contact information works. Blarg.

Wow, you guys are go-getters.  I'm still studying for the GRE and will try to keep my brain free of clutter until I take that test next month.  I'm not even sure what school to which I want to apply (although, I've done research all summer).  

Wow, you guys are go-getters.  I'm still studying for the GRE and will try to keep my brain free of clutter until I take that test next month.  I'm not even sure what school to which I want to apply (although, I've done research all summer).  

And that's okay too! I have anxiety problems, so don't take my obsessing about getting apps done ASAP as something normal people do. It might be something they do, but I'm not normal so I'm not a good baseline. ;)

Best of luck on the GRE!

I am back at it again for Fall 2016. I plan on retaking the GRE for the fourth and FINAL time in early January. I have completed two applications so far. My SOP has been done for sometime now, but I may need to make changes before submission. 

Good Luck to all !;)

Edited by Arcanelady27
Sentence structure

Hey there, future speechies! :)

I'm applying to eight programs for Fall 2016: Vanderbilt Univ., Indiana Univ. (STEPS/bilingual program), Texas Christian Univ. (bilingual program), Univ. of Texas at Austin (bilingual program), Univ. of Texas at Dallas, Univ. of Memphis, Western Kentucky Univ., and Univ. of Tennessee (Knoxville).

I've taken the GRE twice and will be taking it a third (and final!!!) time next month. Right now, my scores are pretty solid for every program except for Vandy, so hopefully I can squeeze out a few more points to make myself even a little bit more competitive.

Best of luck to you all with the (daunting) application process! 

This is my second year applying. I've decided on 7 schools so far, but am finishing up deciding on the other 4-5 I'll add to my list. I'm procrastinating a little bit on reworking my SOP for this year's apps lol; I'm not ready to let go of summer. But I can't wait until CSDCAS opens so I can get this ball really rolling!

Hey everyone! This is my first year applying. I've looked at: Grand Valley State, Indiana State, Michigan State, Eastern New Mexico, UW Stevens Point, UW Whitewater, UW River Falls, Arkansas State, University of South Carolina, Georgia State, Southeast Missouri State, Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, and Mizzou. I am not sure if I will apply to all of these or not, or if more will be added on. My #1 right now if I got in would be Indiana State. We'll just have to see if my numbers and experience adds up being good enough for any of these places for this cycle. If anybody has any information on these schools, feel free to message me! This whole process is nerve wracking yet exciting. 

Sorry, speechie, I'm only looking at schools within a reasonable driving distance (less than six hours) from where my family lives. That being said, I never actually posted the entire list of schools I'm applying to since I forgot that they removed the ability to have signatures. Sigh...anyway. Here they are in order of preference!

• Penn State
  • University of Pittsburgh/University of Maryland
  • University of Virginia/James Madison University
  • West Virginia University (I will literally only go here if I don't get in anywhere else. It's a good school and I like Morgantown but I just don't really want to live in WVA unless I have to.)

Of course, if I get in to more than one school at all it'll be a hard choice...but I'm really kind of leaning to either UVA or PSU right now. UVA because it's somehow the least expensive school on my list while still being a good program (even though it's a M.Ed.), and PSU because it has a really good research lab on AACs. My preferences will probably change again next week, which is why I'm glad it's not April yet!

Hey everyone!

So I'm also a first time grad school applicant and experiencing the same nerves. I'm from VA so I've been looking at schools around here and a few in NC and WV. Right now I have chosen to apply to: 

• UVA
  • Longwood University
  • ODU
  • JMU
  • Western Carolina University
  • Appalachian State University
  • West Virginia University
  • Marshall University

I am trying to become more competitive right now by taking the GRE again in October and getting my GPA past my current 3.5. I have worked for all of my time at school and am hoping that helps to show something. If anyone has any advice on what to put on my personal statement then please let me know!

Do you guys know if we can create a CSDCAS account now, or do we have to wait until the 17th?

The home page of CDSCAS says "THE 2015-2016 APPLICATION CYCLE WILL OPEN ON SEPTEMBER 17TH, 2015. Applicants wishing to apply for the 2016 cycle may not create an account or send documents or tests scores to CSDCAS prior to this date. Documents received by CSDCAS prior to this date will not be accepted."

So, I'm pretty sure we can't really do anything before the 17th. 

Aw man, I'm starting to psych myself out! As a completely average applicant (on paper), I'm starting to feel a deep existential dread about my statement(s) of purpose...at least there's still a week left before the submission frenzy starts...but on the other hand it's only a week omg panic time guys.

Oh wow, so glad I found this thread. I never even heard of CSDCAS. 

I'm applying to 

-Howard

-UDC

-UMD

-George Washington

I'm also applying to UMD! Best of luck to you. What school's your top choice?

Edited by Puffer Fish

Hey all!

I'm applying this year. My BF, who's already been through graduate school, warned me to keep the Gradcafe-ing to a minimum, but I need somewhere else to dump my anxieties other than him, my family, and all my friends who are already in grad school and super busy.

I'm applying to a bunch of schools. I'm pretty anxious already, but I've just taken the GRE, and I've only got a few more things to check off my list before it's just time to wait.

Good luck, everyone!

Hey guys! I'm an out-of-fielder who's also from Virginia, so I'm focusing mainly on leveling programs along the East Coast. I think my top choices would either be UVa or ODU, but I'm hoping to get some kind of financial aid as well. I've filled out a couple of applications so far (UVa and UMaine) but like everyone else I'm just waiting for CSDCAS. I plan on writing my SoP within the next couple of weeks and luckily I have all my LoRs set up!

Is anyone else worried about their lack of "in field" experience? I know I am! I feel like my GPA and GRE scores are impressive, but I don't have any direct experience with SLPs, despite various attempts to do so. Do you think I'll be okay? I've been pretty confident so far, but I'm starting to feel nervous now that applications are out!

Hey all!

I'm applying this year. My BF, who's already been through graduate school, warned me to keep the Gradcafe-ing to a minimum, but I need somewhere else to dump my anxieties other than him, my family, and all my friends who are already in grad school and super busy.

I'm applying to a bunch of schools. I'm pretty anxious already, but I've just taken the GRE, and I've only got a few more things to check off my list before it's just time to wait.

Good luck, everyone!

esopha could you share some tips on how you got that stellar Verbal GRE score?

esopha could you share some tips on how you got that stellar Verbal GRE score?

Hey! Part of my answer is probably going to be really frustrating:  I've always had a really large vocabulary. And I did, uh, hazard a few guesses on the test. But guesses aren't necessarily counted against you, so I can't say that wasn't part of my strategy.

Otherwise, I think acquiring a lot of vocab is obviously important, but also take some time to study how to answer the reading comprehension questions, which are a lot trickier than I expected they would be. Be prepared to be really picky about the choices for these ones, and try to reread them at least twice. I went back after I finished the whole section just to reread the reading passages and rethink my responses. Also, try a variety of studying methods. I hate flashcards, so I read some old books (Dickens, Bronte, or Austen) and looked up the words that I found in them that I didn't know. Also, if you can use your vocabulary to knock out some of the multiple choice options by process of elimination, don't hesitate to do that. I didn't use Magoosh or anything like that for the vocab. I just tried to be discerning when I did the reading comp questions and didn't agonize over vocab that I didn't know.

I was told by two professors to NOT take the GRE again.  My verbal is 152 and quant is 141. My AW is 4.0. I was told my scores were sufficent. One of my professors said her students are scoring in the upper 140's for the verbal. Do schools really focus much on the quant score?