2016 Applicants

Upper 140s is less than the 50th percentile. That seems pretty low for a field that is heavily dependent on being able to read and integrate research materials and prides itself on writing professionally. Just my two cents.  Here's the concordance chart for 2015 to look at percentiles. 

Maybe research scores for the schools that you are planning on applying to? I think paying to retake the GRE would be a waste of money, though, if you can't really get your scores up on practice tests. 

It's my first year applying, though, so take that for what it's worth. 

I was told by two professors to NOT take the GRE again.  My verbal is 152 and quant is 141. My AW is 4.0. I was told my scores were sufficent. One of my professors said her students are scoring in the upper 140's for the verbal. Do schools really focus much on the quant score? 

I think it can function more as a way to weed out applicants. If you look at ranges of admitted applicants, 141Q is not something you see often. And you'd probably have to have a stellar GPA (3.7+) to offset that low of a quant score. The quant score is not something that will get you admitted, but I think it's something that could get you tossed out. That's how I look at it. Every school is different, but some schools assign points to GPA and GRE scores, and if you don't make whatever arbitrary threshold they have, they won't look at your application.

I won't lie, I would feel uncomfortable applying to schools with your quant score. "Sufficient" is a scary term for me. Your professors obviously know you best, but my advisor told people to retake the GRE when they got 145Q because that was too low. 150 was the minimum recommended by our advisors, but many had 148-149. You can take the word of your professors, but I would also contact schools to let them know your situation. Ask them "These are my stats. Will my application even get looked at?" They'll have better answers for you than us, and most are forthright about their requirements. But if you can't dedicate the time or money to improving those quant scores by any means necessary, then I agree, don't take it again. You at least have the verbal and writing, but I do think the quant is something that could potentially be a barrier.

I was wondering if it would be okay to list some of my high school honors and extra curriculars on CSDCAS or is just college stuff?

If you haven't already, I'd recommend looking through their FAQ. They have a lot of good information on this stuff, although it's not really easy to navigate.

https://portal.csdcas.org/csdcasHelpPages/instructions-and-faq/additional-information/extracurricular-and-volunteer-activities-honors-and-awards/index.html

Please note, however, that it is strongly recommended that you focus on work performed during or following your college experience. It is also not recommended that you include experiences which are greater than 10 years old.

Just like with resumes or applying for any job, you want to include the most recent and relevant stuff. High school stuff isn't going be considered relevant by almost anyone at the graduate level. That's not to say you can't discuss an experience you had in high school that was really important to your decision to pursue this field for example, but it really has no place in any other part of your application. You should have more than enough from your time in college to write about.

I was told by two professors to NOT take the GRE again.  My verbal is 152 and quant is 141. My AW is 4.0. I was told my scores were sufficent. One of my professors said her students are scoring in the upper 140's for the verbal. Do schools really focus much on the quant score? 

Great writing score!  Overall I would suggest taking it again, after all it is a $200 investment for the rest of your professional life.  Also, check the colleges that you are attending and see if they actually are concerned about GRE scores, because some are not!

Best of luck to you!

Thanks!

If I take it again, it will be my fourth time. That is roughly $800 dollars, excluding the $1200 I Kaplan course and $200 Magoosh course I took. The funny thing this this last time I took it cold turkey and received the best of the three scores.

Have you tried taking the Power Prep practice tests? They're available via the ETS website. Since you said your score improved your third time, maybe what you need is more practice of the actual test-taking part, not the subject matter? The GRE is long and grueling, and the interface is not user-friendly. I drilled myself a lot in the last month before the test, and I think that helped a ton, but even then by the last session my eyes were crossing.

I understand not wanting to spend more money on the test, on top of the fees for the classes. Are you in the range of GRE scores that you need to be for the places you're applying to? I'm assuming you've got experience and a BA in the field, since you have professors advising you. I'd just think about whether you can spend your time writing a great SOP or completing an impressive senior project rather than stressing over the GRE if your scores are where they need to be.

Have you tried taking the Power Prep practice tests? They're available via the ETS website. Since you said your score improved your third time, maybe what you need is more practice of the actual test-taking part, not the subject matter? The GRE is long and grueling, and the interface is not user-friendly. I drilled myself a lot in the last month before the test, and I think that helped a ton, but even then by the last session my eyes were crossing.

I understand not wanting to spend more money on the test, on top of the fees for the classes. Are you in the range of GRE scores that you need to be for the places you're applying to? I'm assuming you've got experience and a BA in the field, since you have professors advising you. I'd just think about whether you can spend your time writing a great SOP or completing an impressive senior project rather than stressing over the GRE if your scores are where they need to be.

Are the power prep tests you mention the same as the two "free" tests that we get from ETS, or something additional that you have to buy?

I was told for one my schools my scores are fine. Mercy College and LIU Brooklyn do not require the GRE. 

Hunter, however,  I will need to take it again to be considered I am pretty sure. 

As for Brooklyn College, I still need to do the investigative work on what scores are needed. 

I am completing my second BA and will be finished at the end of this semester. 

Thanks, I think I am going to try the Power Prep test. 

Edited by Arcanelady27
Additional comment

Also, read this thread about how to write your GRE essay. It was really helpful for me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GRE/comments/3jo4e0/170q_165v_60_awa_my_writing_guide/

Especially pay attention to the "beat the e-grader" parts of it.

That seems really helpful. I wish I'd read something like that before I took the GRE. I didn't really prep for the AW, and I got a good enough score, but his tips show me what I could have done better. 

Hope it helps others prepping for the test. 

I was told for one my schools my scores are fine. Mercy College and LIU Brooklyn do not require the GRE. 

Oh, another thing, I heard from someone on an ad comm (NOT in SLP, lol) that if department's don't require GRE scores, don't send them as an "extra" because sometimes they have pools of candidates who haveGRE scores vs. not, and generally the ones who send GRE scores do so because they're super high, so you end up getting compared to people in that pool.

I don't know if that's how it works everywhere, but it might be something to clarify with the departments you're applying to.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been snooping on gradcafe for a few months and finally got around to making an account. Hello hello!

Hmm.. applications areeee going... puahaha. I've done everything but my personal statement & supplements... why do I always put off the hard stuff for last! :o I'm so confused about some of the double applications. I posted something on that in the forum. Hopefully someone can help me out with that.

Just curious, but what are everyone's MBTIs!!! 

SO I submitted one of my CSDCAS applications about a week ago and for some reason CSDCAS seems to think that my in-progress coursework isn't in progress and they need to get a transcript for classes I haven't completed yet before they'll process anything. I've emailed support twice and called them at least once and no one knows what's up, because apparently everything is entered correctly. Frustrating.

I might just start calling them once a day.

Whoa! Apparently complaining about it on the internet helped! My application is "received" and "verifying" now. Yay!

Yay! Glad complaining about in online helped. :) They verified an app for me today, too, so I guess they're really starting to work on things. 

hey esopha, did you get an invitation from Emerson to attend their info session? Just making sure I'm not the only one. This goes for all Emerson applicants too.

Yup! Just did. They were also in my city for another grad fair and asked me if I wanted to drop by their booth.