2016 Applicants

Where are people with similar stats to me applying (my stats are below). I'm currently in the process of applying to.. (here goes the long list..lol)

Edinboro U of PA

Midwestern Univeristy, Illinois 

Bowling Green State U

College of St Rose

Ohio State U

Ithaca College

Salus University 

University of SC

Adelphi University 

Calvin College

MGH Institute of Health Professions 

East Stroudsberg U

Jacksonville University

California U of PA (just because this is where I currently go as an undergrad)

Any suggestions on where else to apply with my stats? Any schools I should take off because of my low stats? Need suggestions people! 

2 hours ago, HopefulFutureSLP2016 said:

Where are people with similar stats to me applying (my stats are below). I'm currently in the process of applying to.. (here goes the long list..lol)

Edinboro U of PA

Bowling Green State U

College of St Rose

Ohio State U

Ithaca College

Salus University 

University of SC

Adelphi University 

Calvin College

East Stroudsberg U

Jacksonville University

Any suggestions on where else to apply with my stats? Any schools I should take off because of my low stats? Need suggestions people! 

You have a really good list of schools but I would reconsider a few of them unless they're your #1 or #2 choices! EdFind is great but the ranges aren't always helpful without the means. OSU is likely the most competitive school in Ohio, I think their mean gpa is a 3.8 cum. University of SC and MGH both get a lot of applications. MGH isn't as competitive but University of SC is looking for a 3.75+ gpa. I wouldn't discourage you from applying to these schools if you really like the programs - I know my stats aren't anywhere near what FSU wants but it's my dream school so I'm applying. But if you're just applying to apply, I'd replace them with schools like Grand Valley State. 

On 11/9/2015, 4:30:07, speechie94 said:

Any Emerson applicants attend the info session this past weekend? I wasn't able to make it.

I wasn't able to go, either. I don't think it will count for very much in the application process, but it would be nice to have the opportunity to scope people/buildings/the faces of the grad students out.

I received an email today from one of my two out-of-field recommenders informing me that she had no idea what CSDCAS was! I can't believe I forgot to explain that to her. Whoops. Luckily it's all fixed. Now to just...be satisfied with my personal statements, and then I can submit all my apps. Aaaaah.

On 11/9/2015, 1:44:05, HopefulFutureSLP2016 said:

Edinboro U of PA

Bowling Green State U

College of St Rose

Ohio State U

Ithaca College

Salus University 

University of SC

Adelphi University 

Calvin College

East Stroudsberg U

Jacksonville University

I am also applying to Bowling Green State University! I am from Wisconsin, so I am applying to UW Whitewater, UW Stevens Point, UW Milwaukee, UW Eau Claire, then Indiana State, Illinois State, Grand Valley State, Michigan State, University of Minnesota Moorhead! 

My stats right now are Major GPA - 3.59, Overall 3.51, Minor 4.0 - This semester I have another major class, and three more next semester, so these will change! My minor is Special Education, and I have a 4.0. 

My GRE's are V147, Q147, AW 5.0. I know, they are low, but I have no time to retake it on time! 

Message me if you want to know anything about these schools, because I feel like we are in a similar boat! 

Edited by koalalover1

Hi everyone!

I don't think I've seen anyone applying to the schools that I am yet!

I'm looking at

Stockton University (where I'm doing undergrad)

Ball State University

Monmouth University

Clarion University

James Madison University

Iona College

West Chester University

Seton Hall University

Sacred Heart University

Towson University

Applications have me going crazy! I have 2/3 LoR writers not doing anything after over a month! I've resent the requests through csdcas to hopefully get the ball rolling for them.

16 minutes ago, hedgiehog said:

Hi everyone!

I don't think I've seen anyone applying to the schools that I am yet!

I'm looking at

Stockton University (where I'm doing undergrad)

Ball State University

Monmouth University

Clarion University

James Madison University

Iona College

West Chester University

Seton Hall University

Sacred Heart University

Towson University

Applications have me going crazy! I have 2/3 LoR writers not doing anything after over a month! I've resent the requests through csdcas to hopefully get the ball rolling for them.

I feel your pain. I'm starting to wonder when I should remind my recommenders... considering I sent them everything in September. :(

Hey guys,

I figured I'd finally get it on this thread!  I have been back and forth about applying to graduate schools for the Fall 2016 season- fulltime teaching has made it incredibly difficult to get all of my application details together. Buttt... I just took the GRE last night and got a 163 verbal and 157 quant!!! I was not expecting to score that high, so I finally have the motivation to finish my SOP and start applications.

How long did it take y'all to get your applications together? I'm applying to 13 schools I believe, but only UT Austin has a deadline of 12/15. 

I absolutely dread paperwork and applications of any kind, but am finally getting started on my apps now.  I have my three letter of rec writers lined up, so at least I did that early!  At any rate I was wondering how far back I should go on my resume?  As an older student (40) my resume goes back almost as far as some of my classmates' births lol!  ????

Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, kharkins said:

Hey guys,

I figured I'd finally get it on this thread!  I have been back and forth about applying to graduate schools for the Fall 2016 season- fulltime teaching has made it incredibly difficult to get all of my application details together. Buttt... I just took the GRE last night and got a 163 verbal and 157 quant!!! I was not expecting to score that high, so I finally have the motivation to finish my SOP and start applications.

How long did it take y'all to get your applications together? I'm applying to 13 schools I believe, but only UT Austin has a deadline of 12/15. 

Congratulations on your great GRE scores! 13 schools......wow!!!!

I've had such a hard time narrowing down my list... my loose requirements are: the college is near a major airport, the program accepts my post-bacc classes (I'm only taking 7 through the university of Hawaii), and the city is somewhat fun for a 24 year old.  Since I'm willing to move around the country, there are so many options!  Any ideas on other places I should apply, or if I should take some of the schools below out of my list???

On November 9, 2015 at 5:11:17 PM, PinkSpeech said:

You have a really good list of schools but I would reconsider a few of them unless they're your #1 or #2 choices! EdFind is great but the ranges aren't always helpful without the means. OSU is likely the most competitive school in Ohio, I think their mean gpa is a 3.8 cum. University of SC and MGH both get a lot of applications. MGH isn't as competitive but University of SC is looking for a 3.75+ gpa. I wouldn't discourage you from applying to these schools if you really like the programs - I know my stats aren't anywhere near what FSU wants but it's my dream school so I'm applying. But if you're just applying to apply, I'd replace them with schools like Grand Valley State. 

I would respectfully disagree with this. MGH, and many other private schools,  do put an emphasis on GPA and have students applying to their program from well known schools around the country and internationally. However, private schools often also look for diversity. So pretty good grades, along with other interesting characteristics (travel abroad experience, diverse backgrounds and majors, interesting research interest,etc), are also weighed in. Private schools sometimes have more wiggle room to look at applicants as a whole, especially when the school receives 500-800 applications. While they want students who can succeed academically, they are not looking for a carbon copy class of 40-50 4.0 students with the same interests and backgrounds. Grades help, but some schools do not have that as the only driving factor. This does not mean that they are not competitive and that any grades will suffice. They want the students to be able to succeed under the academic rigor and stresses of grade school,but are interested in students with diverse backgrounds and interests. So if your stats are pretty good and you have something of interest to help show your uniqueness, many private schools are interested in students like that.

On 11/11/2015, 3:15:58, koalalover1 said:

I am also applying to Bowling Green State University! I am from Wisconsin, so I am applying to UW Whitewater, UW Stevens Point, UW Milwaukee, UW Eau Claire, then Indiana State, Illinois State, Grand Valley State, Michigan State, University of Minnesota Moorhead! 

My stats right now are Major GPA - 3.59, Overall 3.51, Minor 4.0 - This semester I have another major class, and three more next semester, so these will change! My minor is Special Education, and I have a 4.0. 

My GRE's are V147, Q147, AW 5.0. I know, they are low, but I have no time to retake it on time! 

Message me if you want to know anything about these schools, because I feel like we are in a similar boat! 

We are in a similar boat! Although your stats are slightly higher than mine. I wish you the best of luck! I've recently decided to apply to GVSU as well. I hear it's much easier to be accepted to but I am still so worried! 

I've submitted all my apps except for Penn State! :D All I need now is to start sending GRE scores and transcripts, (and wait for profs to enter LORs) but technology is failing me so I'll have to work on my tasks more tonight after dad and I fix the printer.

18 hours ago, HopefulFutureSLP2016 said:

We are in a similar boat! Although your stats are slightly higher than mine. I wish you the best of luck! I've recently decided to apply to GVSU as well. I hear it's much easier to be accepted to but I am still so worried! 

Oh, I am worried too! I feel like we all are! Hopefully these schools look at the whole picture and give us a fighting chance! We got this! :) Best of luck to you as well!! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm officially 100% submitted on my end! Just waiting for CSDCAS to receive my transcripts in the mail and one of my professors to figure out how to submit her letter of rec. She's horrible with technology so I'm not at all surprised that she's the last one to finish. Classic her, lol.

I need to finish filling out most of my applications, I've done all of them partially but studying for other tests always get in the way!

General question about letters or rec, do those need to be submitted before I send my applications?  (Not including the 2 schools I already submitted that wanted my application first specifically and then my letters or rec).  

And for statement of purpose at what point did you guys say okay no more editing?  I'm getting mixed feedback on it being good to go and one editor saying do this and that...I am definitely making 2 of their changes but just want to turn them in at this point!

On 12/5/2015, 1:16:49, CBG321 said:

I need to finish filling out most of my applications, I've done all of them partially but studying for other tests always get in the way!

General question about letters or rec, do those need to be submitted before I send my applications?  (Not including the 2 schools I already submitted that wanted my application first specifically and then my letters or rec).  

And for statement of purpose at what point did you guys say okay no more editing?  I'm getting mixed feedback on it being good to go and one editor saying do this and that...I am definitely making 2 of their changes but just want to turn them in at this point!

I was waiting for them to get in before submitting, but one of my apps didn't send out the form to the recommenders until after I submitted, so I guess it depends on the school :o 

On 12/8/2015 at 7:13 PM, Pronounce said:

Would you retake the GRE to improve a 3.5 AW? The scores are 159W and 158Q.  

I know a lot of programs I'm applying to will take a minimum 4.0 score on the AW portion of the GRE.  That being said, your other scores seem pretty good.  Tough choice.  

I've submitted all my apps for CSDCAS!  I still have to finish my CSU apps along with 2 other schools, but pretty excited that I'm nearly done. 

Do you know if any of these schools look at the last 60 units? 

CSULB

CSUSM

Chapman

Redlands

University of Northern Colorado

Portland State University

Michigan State University

Loyola Maryland University

Syracuse

Radford