MSW programs that have accepted below 3.0 GPA

AshToGrad

Hello everyone!

I have seen this question asked before and I have read some response. I know that in general it is not IMPOSSIBLE to get into grad school with a low gpa, but it is very difficult. I know you need a good GRE score, good work experience and excellent references to balance a lack luster GPA. I am a senior in my BSW program. I started my college career 7 years ago at another university where I screwed up the first half of undergrad. Right now I have a cumulative gpa of 2.7. If I'm lucky I can get that up to 2.8 or 2.9 by the end of this semester, but I'm not holding my breath.

For those who had a crappy gpa and went on to grad school, which program accepted you? Are there accredited, state schools that are decent programs that have been known to accept low GPAs? If so, what school is it and where are they?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I think most MSW programs would probably work with a less than stellar GPA if you have some other good stuff to balance it out, especially if they can see how you have improved.  I got in to Florida State's program with a 2.9ish.  That was the only school I applied to. 

Edited by SaraFL

I'm applying to University of Central Florida with a 2.9. Any tips or thoughts about my chances of getting in? I've got about 2 years of work experience after undergrad. However, my undergrad was in Sociology.  I've still got to get my letter of recs and submit a writing sample from undergrad work. The best paper I have is twice too long. Do you know if I could swing it by making it single spaced? I'm worried submitting a paper over the page limit would be bad. My only other option is a mediocre paper but fits the page count. 

I was not under the impression that a writing sample needed to be a paper that fell in its entirety within the paper limits.  If it does, then I've been doing it wrong all these years.

If you can select a portion of the good paper that will stand alone, considering submitting it.  There are ways to provide context for the reviewers, such as using clear headings (I am hoping you have used appropriate APA-style headings and subheadings in the paper) and submitting an outline with your application materials ("Please accept for review my completed application materials, including my application form, curriculum vita, three letters of recommendation, and sample of academic writing selected from a comprehensive policy paper reviewing child maltreatment in urban underserved families.").

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, social work admissions are weird. There are basics two trends: highly selective public universities where everyone pays basically the same and private universities (often higher ranked) that admit a far higher percentage of applicants, but give reasonable funding to a much smaller pool.  With a low GPA, I bet you're more likely to get into Columbia for an MSW than Portland State.

6 hours ago, TheCrow said:

Actually, social work admissions are weird. There are basics two trends: highly selective public universities where everyone pays basically the same and private universities (often higher ranked) that admit a far higher percentage of applicants, but give reasonable funding to a much smaller pool.  With a low GPA, I bet you're more likely to get into Columbia for an MSW than Portland State.

Hello

I also applied U of Chicago recently and is it possible for you to share your statis? I have good GPA, but not much work experiences since i am going directly from undergraduate to gradaute.  Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2015 at 11:35 PM, TheCrow said:

I also want to know your stats, I see you were accepted to USC. I just applied so just wondering.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think my stats would be especially helpful, since I was a PhD applicant who was deferred to the master's program and I think their interest in admitting and funding me was due basically entirely to my potential to be a researcher in the field and not a practitioner (which is the lens they usually use to admit master's candidates) and my background is not traditional at all. So, I think they were very impressed by my GRE scores (which aren't required) and research background.

I think lower-ranked schools are obsessed with you having checked boxes of full-time work experience. I think higher-ranked schools that give funding are much more interested in you demonstrating that you have enough experience and knowledge to really know what being a social worker is about.

And just to be honest, I was admitted to USC, but the perception I left with was that the master's program just buries you in debt. They weren't going to send me a financial aid award until well after the deadline to commit to other schools.

• 1 month later...

Many MSW programs require your GRE scores if your GPA is below a 3.0, so if you're a good test taker than this might outweigh that. At times too the SOP and additional writing requirements might allow for explanations of a low GPA.

Best of Luck!

MSW admissions are very odd, obscure and totally random at times (like other Masters programs). Some programs heavily value certain criteria/traits while others consider it, but it is not mandatory. I tend to believe private schools are more liberal in accepting students with lower GPAs due to a lower yield while public universities are more competitive due to the lower tuition. 

Our trajectories and undergrad history are very similar. I graduated from undergrad with a 2.7 GPA about 8 years ago due to personal problems and lack of focus and ambition during school. When I decided I wanted to go back to graduate school (I was considering a MFT and MA in Counseling before settling on the MSW), I knew I needed to take classes post-graduation in order to not only strengthen my application in order to be admitted, but to receive scholarships/funding as MSW programs are extremely expensive with a relatively low ROI. I later took post-bacc classes (about two per semester including summer) at my local university at night/on the weekends for about 2 years while working full time and also volunteering in the human services realm and now have a 4.0 at this school. I also have about four years of volunteer experience in the human services field at this point which I think helped my application tremendously.

Last application cycle (Fall 2015), I applied to three schools (UPenn, CUNY Hunter, NYU) just to see if I could get into them and what the process entailed. I got into Penn and NYU (though rejected from Hunter) with very little funding ($4-6K) and I decided not to attend since I would be well over $120K in debt with tuition and living expenses. Moreover, at this time, I had my heart set on becoming a clinical social worker. I wasn’t surprised by the Hunter rejection because they receive over 1,000 applications and the tuition is relatively affordable and is well known and respected in the NYC area. Through perusing past topics on this forum, I’ve read similar stories where students are accepted at USC, but rejected at a state school like SFSU or SDSU. 

This application cycle, I decided to switch from clinical social work to macro social work and applied to over seven schools and received an acceptance from five (UChicago, Boston College, UW-Seattle, Columbia; all four gave me funding/scholarships ranging from $10-28K, the fifth was a SUNY offering no funding) and one rejection (UMichigan). Ironically, the private schools I applied to will be slightly cheaper than the state school I applied to ($7K/year vs $14K/year) since the private schools offered me a hefty scholarship/funding package. Schools with larger endowments tend to be generous with merit/need based funding.

So it’s definitely possible. I would say the most important thing is to show the committee you are not the result of your low GPA. You can do this in several ways. Firstly, you should mention it in your essay (why, what happened, why it won’t happen again and how you are a capable student).  Secondly, make sure your letters of recommendation can attest to your intellectual curiosity and caliber as as student. Thirdly, some argue that taking the GRE can strengthen your application. Again, I think this also varies among schools. At UW-Seattle and UChicago, staff members at the Admissions Office told me taking the GRE wouldn’t benefit me or hurt me in any manner and for me not to waste time and money on it. However, schools like Boston College and Boston University state on their website that taking the GMAT/GRE can strengthen your application if you have a GPA lower than 3.0. I took the GRE and did relatively well on the Verbal and Writing sections, but mediocre on the Math portion.

Good luck to you!

Edited by morningjunky
grammar

While my cumulative GPA from both schools I applied to isn't going to be under a 3.0, it'll be around 3.4 something. It all depends on if you can be good in other areas of the application, such as personal statement and experience that will help make you a good candidate. While GPA isn't everything, it does play a factor. 

• 2 weeks later...

Like everyone has said, it probably depends on the school. I was accepted in the Online Program at PSU with a pretty underwhelming GPA (2.6ish - aka, slacker undergrad) - but, I think I had a pretty solid Statement of Purpose and I have a few years experience, along with some great recommendation letters. You definitely have to balance the low GPA with your other more shining qualities :) 

It definitely depends on the school! I graduated with a 3.15 about 8 years ago and since then have a lot of applicable (but not traditional!) experience. I spent a lot of my efforts on the statement of purpose to really focus in on what I had been doing and how I believe it would make me impactful in the profession. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello guys. i need some advice. I am from a small town in Cuba. I came to USA a year ago and i am thinking applying to a msw program. My gpa is not good, 2.68, i know is bad, but i have a rough live. I took the gre my verbal was accpetable 154 and my quantitative was 150, i dont know if this is enough to apply to a good program. i have good recommendation letters, work experience working with communities with needs in Cuba and i made conferences in the USA talking about Cuban social problems. I am really into a social work path, i want to help other people like me. So, any advice should be great. I was thinking apply to NYU, but i think it will impossible to me to get in there, they require 3.0 gpa minimum. Any help? Any success story with a low gpa getting into a msw program?