Books

I am starting a program next week. Wondering what people do about textbooks. I am not sure if I should rent or buy them. Will I need them for the praxis or when I am an slp? 

I think it's generally recommended to buy them so you can have them as an slp. I've bought all mine except the research textbook which I rented since I'm not planning to do research.  Renting does save money though. Or you can consider buying an older edition. The pages might be different but you might be able to get away with it.  

I'd recommend renting eBooks if you do decide to rent. That is often the cheapest option. I personally don't think you will ever need a single text book ever again, since the information is available online and in the academic articles you will have access to as a member of ASHA. I prefer not to hoard anything, including text books. And there are often more affordable texts than the text your instructor requires, so I think it's best to know what is useful to you before you go about building your professional library. The books required in my program so far have been utterly useless, and I doubt I will ever pick them up again. And in 5-10 years, the information will be outdated, and it would really be professionally irresponsible to use them as a reference in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I have purchased all of my books and am currently studying for comprehensive exams and the Praxis. I am glad that I have my texts to reread and reference. I also think that your use of your textbooks will depend on the environment you end up working in. If you are in an adult setting, you may reference your dysphagia book but not your articulation book. As a new student you don't know yet what your setting will end up being, so it's up to you to decide.