Advice on GRE scores - worth retaking?

mlisci

Hi everyone,

I am a senior applying to PhD programs in Genetics/Molecular Biology. I just took the GRE and I got a 162 in the verbal section and a 157 in the quantitative section. I am concerned about the quantitative score, as I see that it is about the 70% percentile. I have a high GPA (3.86) and extensive research experience, but I am also applying to highly ranked programs and I am afraid the quantitative scores will prevent me from being accepted.

Any opinion? Should I retake it?

Hi mlisci,

Since it sounds like you already know which Programs interest you, you should be able to research them in more detail (and determine the average GRE score for incoming classes, the 'middle 80%, or some other statistical information that will help you to assess your own scores).

As it stands, I think that you would probably benefit from retaking the GRE and raising your Quant Score (your Verbal Score is already at about the 90th percentile, so you just have to keep those skills 'sharp.'

How long did you study for your first attempt?

What resources did you use?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Hi mlisci,

Since it sounds like you already know which Programs interest you, you should be able to research them in more detail (and determine the average GRE score for incoming classes, the 'middle 80%, or some other statistical information that will help you to assess your own scores).

As it stands, I think that you would probably benefit from retaking the GRE and raising your Quant Score (your Verbal Score is already at about the 90th percentile, so you just have to keep those skills 'sharp.'

How long did you study for your first attempt?

What resources did you use?

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgreRichC,

Thank you for your reply! I studied with the Kaplan and ETS books for about a month, and I was able to raise my score up to 161 for quant and 162 for verbal (official GRE practice test). Unfortunately then I had to take a 2/3 weeks long break, and while my verbal skills stayed sharp, it seems that although I was able to answer the quant questions, I was not as fast as I used to be.

I am definitely considering re-taking the test again, although it's so expensive...

Thanks again for your reply!

Hi mlisci,

Considering the cost of Grad School (and the potential benefits of Scholarships/Grants), the cost to retake the GRE is negligible. Many Test Takers spend upwards of 3 months (or more) on their studies, so it's possible that you just have not put in enough time to score at a really high level in Quant. The 'break' that you took also probably impacted your studies, so we have a logical explanation for your performance on Test Day.

When are your application deadlines?

How much time do you think you could commit to studying during a typical week?

Rich

Hi mlisci,

Considering the cost of Grad School (and the potential benefits of Scholarships/Grants), the cost to retake the GRE is negligible. Many Test Takers spend upwards of 3 months (or more) on their studies, so it's possible that you just have not put in enough time to score at a really high level in Quant. The 'break' that you took also probably impacted your studies, so we have a logical explanation for your performance on Test Day.

When are your application deadlines?

How much time do you think you could commit to studying during a typical week?

Rich

My application deadlines are on December 1st. I think I could find 1hr every day to study for the GRE,

Hi mlisci,

Does that '1 hour per day' estimate include the weekends?

With a December 1st deadline, you have plenty of time to continue studying (and you'd likely just need to put in that extra time on Quant), so you might be able to improve in a relatively short period of time. Since you essentially took a 'book-heavy' study approach, if you do continue to study, you might want to invest in some non-book resources that will focus more on the tactics and physically walk you through how to deal with Quant questions.

Rich

Hi mlisci,

Does that '1 hour per day' estimate include the weekends?

With a December 1st deadline, you have plenty of time to continue studying (and you'd likely just need to put in that extra time on Quant), so you might be able to improve in a relatively short period of time. Since you essentially took a 'book-heavy' study approach, if you do continue to study, you might want to invest in some non-book resources that will focus more on the tactics and physically walk you through how to deal with Quant questions.

Rich

Yes, that includes weekend.

I am planning to retake it by the end of October. What kind of resources would you suggest?

Hi mlisci,

Given everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgre Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Many of our clients can finish that Study Plan in under a month. If you can study just 1 hour per day though, it might take you a little longer to complete that Plan. We have a variety of free resources at our site (www.empowergre.com) that you can use to 'test out' the Course before you set up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich

Yes, that includes weekend.

I am planning to retake it by the end of October. What kind of resources would you suggest?

Two books I highly recommend:

1. Princeton Review's Cracking the GRE with 4 Practice Tests

2. Manhattan's 5 lb of GRE questions

In addition to EST's GRE Powerprep program (2 actual previous GRE tests). The first book for learning how to tackle the GRE in a proper manner, the second book for practice problems in every category. In addition, six practice tests in total is plenty enough IMO. If you thoroughly review all the material in here (and there is plenty, depending on your willingness to do so), then you should be pretty set.

These were the resources I used when preparing for the GRE. Hope that also helps!

Edited by RideTheLightning469