Research Grants (not fellowships)

ohsoquiet

I am in Canada and was wondering if any of you knew of research grant opportunities that students could apply for directly?  I am starting a new project with my supervisor but it is primarily my idea so I want to put the work in to get funded.  She mentioned some opportunities through my university but I was wondering if any of you knew of other research grant opportunities that a graduate student could be listed as the PI?

It may help to know what field you are in and what stage of your education you are in. Is this a one-semester or one-year side project that you plan to do as a second-year student, or do you envision this becoming your PhD dissertation research? (Or something in between?) What would the funding be used for, and what is the ballpark amount you need to obtain? 

It may help to know what field you are in and what stage of your education you are in. Is this a one-semester or one-year side project that you plan to do as a second-year student, or do you envision this becoming your PhD dissertation research? (Or something in between?) What would the funding be used for, and what is the ballpark amount you need to obtain? 

Thanks for the response!  It is for my doctoral dissertation.  I am preparing to defend my proposal to my committee and plan to start collecting data relatively soon.  This will likely take 2-3 years from start to finish.  The funding would be used to purchase standardized measures, print questionnaires, possible participant payment, etc.  At this point I would take anything (e.g., I am applying for a small 1000$ grant for research) but ideally I would like to be able to hire a part-time RA to help with data collection, this would definitely increase the amount needed substantially.  Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, generating your own funding for research expenses like this is quite common. It's still not clear what department or subfield you are in, so I can't help much.

I would recommend that you get in touch with your professional society (if you don't belong to one yet, join one or a few that are supportive of student research and offer small grants). If there are other grads in your dept. more senior than you with CVs posted online, mine these for information on what grants they have been successful with. Same for early career professors with relevant research. Ask outright the people in your dept you are friendly with. You could also see if your campus has a grants/fellowship office or list-serv.