Out-of-field SLP(ECU)

Hi everyone! 

I just had a quick question regarding applications for next fall, primarily because I am an out-of-fielder. 

My undergraduate degree was in history from Appalachian State, and I have spent the last four years teaching high school social studies. I had always been interested in speech pathology, but after my fiancée finally got her CCCs and enjoyed it, I thought it was finally time to take the plunge. 

In terms of statistics, my undergrad GPA was 3.78 and my GRE scores were 165V/158Q (still don't know the AW scores). I am a male and I speak fluent Spanish and French, the latter of which is my native language. 

I feel that my statistics, coupled with being a teacher, will help compensate for my lack of experience directly in the field when applying; however, I would really like to hear others opinions on whether or not I can realistically get in to most programs lacking a bachelor's in CSD. I have considered taking pre-reqs online, but I would really prefer to take those courses on campus. Consequently, I am interested mostly in schools that are amenable to my lack of experience and that will allow me to enroll, even if conditionally. I am really interested in East Carolina, as that is where my fiancée went. 

Is it realistic for me to begin applying, or should I put it of and bite the bullet to take pre-reqs online or as a visiting student? 

Thank you so much for any feedback!

I know for a fact that the University of Virginia specifically offers a track for out-of-fielders, because I almost applied for that branch of their program last year.

It's totally realistic for you to being applying, but be sure to look specifically for "prerequisite track" programs or whatever they call them. Worst comes to worst, you can email them and ask if they do deferrals! I can't speak for East Carolina, but I have contacted several other schools about this in the past. West Virginia University said they make out-of-fielders take the undergrad classes at the same time as their graduate classes, while Edinboro University in Pennsylvania told me they would defer admission until I got prereqs done if I chose to apply. Meanwhile, Gallaudet University in Washington DC told me they never do deferrals due to the popularity of their program and tiny cohort size.

I would recommend taking the prereqs either as a non-degree-seeking undergrad, or online. The University of Maryland allows for grad students to enroll in prereqs on campus, but they make you pay graduate student fees instead of undergrad fees so you're paying more money than you would otherwise.

Considering your background and stats, I think you'll have a shot at least somewhere that allows for a prerequisite track. I hope this helps!

I know for a fact that the University of Virginia specifically offers a track for out-of-fielders, because I almost applied for that branch of their program last year.

It's totally realistic for you to being applying, but be sure to look specifically for "prerequisite track" programs or whatever they call them. Worst comes to worst, you can email them and ask if they do deferrals! I can't speak for East Carolina, but I have contacted several other schools about this in the past. West Virginia University said they make out-of-fielders take the undergrad classes at the same time as their graduate classes, while Edinboro University in Pennsylvania told me they would defer admission until I got prereqs done if I chose to apply. Meanwhile, Gallaudet University in Washington DC told me they never do deferrals due to the popularity of their program and tiny cohort size.

I would recommend taking the prereqs either as a non-degree-seeking undergrad, or online. The University of Maryland allows for grad students to enroll in prereqs on campus, but they make you pay graduate student fees instead of undergrad fees so you're paying more money than you would otherwise.

Considering your background and stats, I think you'll have a shot at least somewhere that allows for a prerequisite track. I hope this helps!

An acquaintance mentioned UVA as well, and I have looked into it myself. My only reservation (and it is a trivial one) is that it is an M.Ed. I wouldn't have thought anything of it had it not be for a grimace by my significant other. That said, I would happily go to UVA if accepted and financially viable! 

Please don't limit yourself thinking there are only a handful of programs that accept three year track students. There are actually many. With your stats, you sound like a very competitive applicant to any program. Look into programs that interest you, and I suggest calling them because many schools have a three year track program but do not advertise it well (for example Iowa the currently number 1 ranked program). Best of luck!   

An acquaintance mentioned UVA as well, and I have looked into it myself. My only reservation (and it is a trivial one) is that it is an M.Ed. I wouldn't have thought anything of it had it not be for a grimace by my significant other. That said, I would happily go to UVA if accepted and financially viable! 

I've read elsewhere that having an M.Ed doesn't make a difference on what kinds of jobs you can get post-graduation. Someone can correct me here if I'm wrong, but I think it doesn't matter much what kind of M you have as long as it's an M in CSD/SLP/etc.

That being said, I'm also a little wary about going there too because of the label of the degree, even though UVA is the least expensive school I'm applying to and I would gladly attend there.