Explaining a poor GRE please evaluate essay

I'm going to submit an additional essay with my graduate school applications explaining that my GRE scores do no represent my ability to excel in graduate school. If you would like to evaluate it please let me know and I'll shoot you a PM! Thanks !!!

I have the same problem; low GRE scores and I have already completed a Master's. It is a question that I wonder about. Should it even be put into your SOP and explained? Or should one's strengths and how you line up with the university's research, faculty, and why you are a great fit for them. How will you become a tribute to the school. I am looking at PhD programs. I have heard of supplemental essays but they aren't all that common. Its usually in the interview when you have the chance to explain the poor GRE or academic record. I have it on good authority from a Harvard alumni that its better to make a comment on how your positive attributes and work ethic are better indicators of your abilities than your academic record/GRE scores. That one does not need to go into detail about your scores in another essay. Include it in your SOP if you are still able.

I have the same problem; low GRE scores and I have already completed a Master's. It is a question that I wonder about. Should it even be put into your SOP and explained? Or should one's strengths and how you line up with the university's research, faculty, and why you are a great fit for them. How will you become a tribute to the school. I am looking at PhD programs. I have heard of supplemental essays but they aren't all that common. Its usually in the interview when you have the chance to explain the poor GRE or academic record. I have it on good authority from a Harvard alumni that its better to make a comment on how your positive attributes and work ethic are better indicators of your abilities than your academic record/GRE scores. That one does not need to go into detail about your scores in another essay. Include it in your SOP if you are still able.

I'm submitting a supplemental essay. It basically states that the GRE does not represent my abilities to do well in grad school. I said I did poorly on the act and sat but look at my grades all As and a couple of Bs in all my math and science classes. I also wrote (and in my ps) that I wrote a senior thesis and will create quality work both for my university and my advisor. 

I'm submitting a supplemental essay. It basically states that the GRE does not represent my abilities to do well in grad school. I said I did poorly on the act and sat but look at my grades all As and a couple of Bs in all my math and science classes. I also wrote (and in my ps) that I wrote a senior thesis and will create quality work both for my university and my advisor. 

Good. Colleges tend not to look at SATs or ACTs once you've completed your Bachelors. Its meaningless but the Senior Thesis is good. Add any additional field work or presentations (conferences,consortiums, etc) that you have contributed to. If you've aided in developing the breadth of knowledge to the field, add that. Perhaps thats an area that can highlight where your application of the knowledge exceeds.

Another approach is to have one or more of your letter writers address the issue for you. You might express your concerns about your GRE scores before they draft the letters. If any have served on AdComs before, they will know how to better advocate for you though the recommendation letters. It might carry more weight having the argument come from them. 

Another approach is to have one or more of your letter writers address the issue for you. You might express your concerns about your GRE scores before they draft the letters. If any have served on AdComs before, they will know how to better advocate for you though the recommendation letters. It might carry more weight having the argument come from them. 

They wrote their letters already. I spoke to someone for Rice who said my approach will be helpful. She did say that the GRE is the first thing they look at and they usually will throw out an application if the quantitative score is low. The department is wavering the application fee so I'm going to reapply with the essay.