Finding Funding Before Acceptance

Hando

I’m planning to apply to a Ph.D. program in evolutionary ecology for the fall 2016 and I've started contacting potential advisors. The idea of applying for funding before getting accepted is new to me; I didn’t realize that I could get funds before I fully developed my research questions. I found NSF’s Graduate Research Fellowship Program and EPA’s Star Grants, but what are other funds I can apply to before I’ve been accepted?

Also, one school I’m applying to is in Canada, which means if I go to this school I can’t accept the two NSF and EPA awards I just mentioned. Is there funding I can apply to that lets me (a US citizen) use the money at a Canadian school? The school has competitive awards but I would like to see my options.

The Canadian organization that is analogous to the NSF would be NSERC (Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council). However, these awards are for Canadians only, just like NSF awards are for Americans only. This is a common issue amongst all students from any country looking to apply internationally--the amount of awards available is tiny. 

There are two exceptions that I know of though:

1. If your school is in Ontario, then the provincial level Ontario Graduate Scholarship is available to foreign students. There is a quota to how many foreign awards are given so it will be much more competitive. You apply for this award directly to the school you are applying to. Look on their website to find the information (each school sets their own deadline and application process).

2. The Government of Canada also funds the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html). This is like an NSERC/NSF award, but at a much much higher level. The value is $50,000 per year for up to 3 years. It's open to foreign applicants because it's a program that is meant to encourage talent to stay in Canada / move to Canada. See the linked website for application information, but keep in mind this is a highly competitive award that will require sponsorship of the Canadian school in question. 

Good luck!