Spring/Winter 2016 Applicants

22 minutes ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

I know it sucks! My friend applied to UCF for mental health counseling for spring and got accepted like two weeks later. Apparently almost everyone gets in for that program though... Must be nice! :( haha

Wow! This girl I went to high school with applied to law schools for Fall 2016 like 2 weeks ago, and got two acceptances last week...and we're just sitting here with no idea what's going on within our department, ughh lol

12 minutes ago, moni28 said:

Wow! This girl I went to high school with applied to law schools for Fall 2016 like 2 weeks ago, and got two acceptances last week...and we're just sitting here with no idea what's going on within our department, ughh lol

Yeah but both those fields don't guarantee you a job! Ours does! :)

4 minutes ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

Yeah but both those fields don't guarantee you a job! Ours does! :)

Very true, lol. There's such a need for SLP's too; if only graduate programs could admit larger numbers to fulfill that need..

8 minutes ago, moni28 said:

Very true, lol. There's such a need for SLP's too; if only graduate programs could admit larger numbers to fulfill that need..

I know! We don't have enough slps that go on and get their PhD to teach! That's why I would love to further my education after my master's. 

8 minutes ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

I know! We don't have enough slps that go on and get their PhD to teach! That's why I would love to further my education after my master's. 

Mhm! Do most of the professors at UCF in our major have a PhD? At my university, I think only 2 professors have PhD's. 

2 minutes ago, moni28 said:

Mhm! Do most of the professors at UCF in our major have a PhD? At my university, I think only 2 professors have PhD's. 

Yeah all of them do! In our major at least. I thought you had to have a PhD to teach at the university level.

1 minute ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

Yeah all of them do! In our major at least. I thought you had to have a PhD to teach at the university level.

I thought the same thing, but most of the professors here just have a Masters. They have a lot of previous experience being supervisors at different clinics, etc, so maybe that makes up for them not having PhD's? lol, I'm not sure.

10 minutes ago, moni28 said:

I thought the same thing, but most of the professors here just have a Masters. They have a lot of previous experience being supervisors at different clinics, etc, so maybe that makes up for them not having PhD's? lol, I'm not sure.

Oh maybe! That's super weird tho. Maybe it's different in different states haha

9 hours ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

Actually we have a number of options if we want to teach at the university level.  All of the "four core" SLP classes at my school are taught by PhD faculty as far as I know, however we have professors with other types of master's, doctorates and also PhDs in other areas, such as linguistics.  I've had a professor with a Master's degree that taught AAC and another with a Master's that taught Fluency.  I had another professor with the CsCD title - Doctor of Clinical Science.  (He taught a core class, actually.)

I myself am interested in pursuing a DEd (doctorate of education) - I was originally interested in PhD but when I stepped back and looked at my goals (and realized I didn't want a career in research) I came to the conclusion that PhD wasn't the choice for me and my family.  At any rate - lots of options out there - yet another reason to love our field!  

Edited by Jolie717

On November 30, 2015 at 5:07:41 PM, moni28 said:

I got accepted to UCF!!!! Check your portal

22 minutes ago, Awhitehouse2 said:

No way? Add me on Facebook and I can help you with where to live etc! Amy Whitehouse 

Is your Facebook private? I can't find you!  My Facebook is public, so if you find me, send me a request (Monica Chosak)! If not, I'll search for you again. 

10 hours ago, Arcanelady27 said:

Congrats! Really happy for you!

Thank you!! I'm actually still waiting to hear from St. John's though, in order to make a final decision....ughhh.