Communication/Media Studies Ph.D Fall 2016--Apps, Decisions, and Waiting...

Hi everyone, I thought I'd get the party started. If you are thinking of applying for grad school, now is the time to begin your program selections, personal goals, etc.

I am in the process of deciding to retake the GREs or focus on publishing part of my master's thesis. :) 

I'm actually looking into publishing part of my master's thesis as well. Do you have publications you are already looking at etc.? I have a paper I wrote from my thesis I submitted for a conference presentation, and I'm wondering if that would suffice.  

My thesis chair gave me a couple of specialities to look at, I haven't pursued anything just yet. It's hard to fit it all in with a full time job. Her suggestions are to submit to critical and cultural studies journals.

My thesis was a genealogy analysis of GMO discourse in the US, so I think I have a very limited audience to submit to as it is. 

I'm retaking my GREs on 10/10, I think can still cancel and get my money back. I have no idea if I should even bother with it, my scores aren't bad but they aren't great either: V: 156 Q: 152. I did graduate with a 4.0 Masters GPA, though. I don't know how to make myself a better candidate short of publishing something (which is hard to find the time while working). I was accepted without funding last year to NC State and sent  a few "close but no cigar" emails from other programs.

Last year was my first time applying for PhD programs. I found this forum late in the cycle, so I felt awkward joining the conversation and just lurked for weeks instead. This year I'm here on time!

I made some mistakes during the process last year. My primary mistake was applying to only three programs, but I did what I could afford. I still have kind of a bitter taste in my mouth from the whole process, though. I didn't have much luck connecting with POIs. I, too, am thinking about retaking the GREs to make myself more competitive, as well as possibly publishing my master's thesis, but I also feel like those application deadlines are rapidly approaching. It was hard to balance applications with work last year, but this year I'm also planning my wedding, so I'm concerned about how much time I will have to devote to everything.

I guess my focus at the moment is honing my statement of purpose and doing a better job of selecting programs that match my interests. That was another mistake I made last year: picking programs based on reputation and recommendations instead of on mutual interests and goals. Before I focused only on communication programs, but now I'm realizing that there are some cultural studies, media studies, and American studies programs that better align with my interests.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to some more great discussions and helpful advice here this year!

Pretty close call for getting something published. Pretty unlikely it will go through R&R and you get an ok by the editor within 3 months imho. Especially when you haven't even decided which part of the thesis, re-wrote it, and chose outlets yet. 

While this sounds horribly dismissive of the idea, I would always try to publish it anyways given that it will help your career no matter what. However, if you need to cut time working on other parts of the application for something that is unlikely to produce results in time, you need to make trade-off decisions. Of course, you can write in your apps that you have submitted part of your thesis for publication in the SoP and to which journal you sent it. It will show you are thinking about the process, chose a good journal for your work and will also give the committee a better idea about what kind of researcher you are. But you probably won't even hear back if you get considered and into the review process depending on how long the editor takes to respond / forward stuff etc. :( 

Duna, I'm aware. :) The attempt to publish at this point is strategic, I do not expect to be accepted for publication. I want to show on my applications that I am thinking about these things and plan to pursue publishing as I move forward as an academic. The point to to show a publication pending review.

I don't really want to retake the GREs, I have it scheduled for 10/10/15, but I think I can still cancel and get my money back.

Duna, I'm aware. :) The attempt to publish at this point is strategic, I do not expect to be accepted for publication. I want to show on my applications that I am thinking about these things and plan to pursue publishing as I move forward as an academic. The point to to show a publication pending review.

I don't really want to retake the GREs, I have it scheduled for 10/10/15, but I think I can still cancel and get my money back.

Ahh apparently you can only get half your money back if you cancel the GRE. I might just take it and see what happens then. Guess I ought to start studying!

I feel like I ought to qualify this a bit more, my thesis is a discourse genealogy ala Foucault and not the typical modern discourse analysis. The issue with publishing is that my methodology was probably not up to par with most discourse journals, so I am pursuing cultural studies journals. Given that, while plan A is that my article will be published, I am not holding my breath that it will be published. I've held off on timing so that it will at least be pending review during my applications and not trying to game a system. Trying to not to let the infamous imposter syndrome take over is difficult, though.

• 2 weeks later...

My thesis chair gave me a couple of specialities to look at, I haven't pursued anything just yet. It's hard to fit it all in with a full time job. Her suggestions are to submit to critical and cultural studies journals.

My thesis was a genealogy analysis of GMO discourse in the US, so I think I have a very limited audience to submit to as it is. 

I'm retaking my GREs on 10/10, I think can still cancel and get my money back. I have no idea if I should even bother with it, my scores aren't bad but they aren't great either: V: 156 Q: 152. I did graduate with a 4.0 Masters GPA, though. I don't know how to make myself a better candidate short of publishing something (which is hard to find the time while working). I was accepted without funding last year to NC State and sent  a few "close but no cigar" emails from other programs.

I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a paper too. I hear you, I'm working full time as well. I'm also living abroad, which is an added complication in working with my advisor on the paper. I'm hoping a published paper will make me a more desirable candidate as I finished my masters in 2011. I hope it goes well for you this season. Keep us posted on the publishing efforts.

I applied to a number of Political Science PhD programs last year, made the mistake of not contacting any POIs in advance, as well as mistakenly thinking my thesis was even suited for PoliSci. Now I'm looking into Media Studies programs and places with clear Media/Cinema Studies components to their Communication programs.

I've already contacted POIs at my prospective programs and have gotten positive feedback from them all, but nothing from Northwestern, weirdly. I contacted three people there and not a single reply. Either there's some sort of embargo or they aren't interested enough to tell me they're not interested. 

Where's everyone looking at? 

I applied to a number of Political Science PhD programs last year, made the mistake of not contacting any POIs in advance, as well as mistakenly thinking my thesis was even suited for PoliSci. Now I'm looking into Media Studies programs and places with clear Media/Cinema Studies components to their Communication programs.

I've already contacted POIs at my prospective programs and have gotten positive feedback from them all, but nothing from Northwestern, weirdly. I contacted three people there and not a single reply. Either there's some sort of embargo or they aren't interested enough to tell me they're not interested. 

You have media studies listed. Are you also looking at policomm? If so, there are several good policomm/media programs out there.

You have media studies listed. Are you also looking at policomm? If so, there are several good policomm/media programs out there.

I'm not. My problem was that my research relates to the intersection of popular culture and international relations. While there are places (precious few) that actually deal with that very thing, I've found my best fit to be in a media studies/cinema studies type program. At least from the people who are either students or faculty in said programs. 

I did the same last year as well, I didn't think of contacting any POIs. I think the problem for me was that all the advice that I found for contacting Unis ahead of time were for hard sciences like chemistry and physics. It may have been shortsighted of me, but I felt like the programs for social sciences function slightly differently. I'm definitely changing my game plan this time around, though.

I have a couple of POIs that I plan to contact once I'm done with the GREs, I really need to focus on studying until I take them. For now, my tentative list includes University of Washington, University of Pittsburgh, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, University of Colorado, and University of Georgia. I was accepted at North Carolina State last year but without funding so I deferred my enrollment for a year, so that is also a good possibility as well (assuming I'm reconsidered for and granted funding). My research interests are eclectic, so that makes finding suitable programs difficult. I'm interested in the rhetoric of science and how it interacts with risk communication as well as rhetoric, media, and political communication. My strategy is to look for programs that offer an amalgam of those and some sort of note that encourages dabbling between the foci.

I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a paper too. I hear you, I'm working full time as well. I'm also living abroad, which is an added complication in working with my advisor on the paper. I'm hoping a published paper will make me a more desirable candidate as I finished my masters in 2011. I hope it goes well for you this season. Keep us posted on the publishing efforts.

I think I'm going to put off publishing until next Spring, I'm having enough trouble keeping up with a full time job, maintaining my house and family, and the routines of filling out applications. My advisor told me that I need to mention that I plan to publish in my SP, though.

Try not to get too discouraged. There are a lot of options available -- good ones. Finding the right schools and the application process is stressful, but if you are serious about the advanced degree there are strategies for getting admitted and funded. Hang in there! 

I suppose this would be a good question to ask here, given that lyrehc and other people who have successfully navigated this process come back and check the boards: How much of an impact does a low undergrad GPA make on admissions decisions?

I have a 3.06 total undergrad GPA for reasons of my being in a major I was not particularly great at for the first half of undergrad, along with other factors, and also a 3.92 MA GPA.

Can my grad GPA mitigate my relatively abysmal undergrad one, or is this already an uphill/lost battle? I've already been soundly rejected in one round of applications, but for PoliSci, so I've become inured to the results of gambling with low odds. 

Additionally, I know other factors contribute to admissions decisions, but I guess, in short, I'm wondering how negatively the low undergrad GPA will affect chances, all other things being above-board. 

Edited by ajayghale

Hello, Applicants!  I hope that the application season is starting well for you.  Last year I went through the same process and ended up at USC Annenberg.  If you have any questions about the USC Anennberg program or South LA then feel free to shoot me a message.  

If you have a low undergraduate GPA and a good graduate GPA then you should be okay. Most programs care about how you do in your field, and a 3.92 MA GPA should be fine -- especially because many students need extra time to mature and get serious about their studies. I can't answer for every program, but letters of reference are huge for many. In addition, if you have communicated with faculty at the programs you apply to and developed rapport with them that can also make a huge difference. 

If you have a low undergraduate GPA and a good graduate GPA then you should be okay. Most programs care about how you do in your field, and a 3.92 MA GPA should be fine -- especially because many students need extra time to mature and get serious about their studies. I can't answer for every program, but letters of reference are huge for many. In addition, if you have communicated with faculty at the programs you apply to and developed rapport with them that can also make a huge difference. 

That's good to know. I'm also contacting current PhD students to get a feel for the programs I'm interested in. Forewarned, foreamed, etc.

My fingers and toes will be crossed between now and April 15th, I think.

Hello, Applicants!  I hope that the application season is starting well for you.  Last year I went through the same process and ended up at USC Annenberg.  If you have any questions about the USC Anennberg program or South LA then feel free to shoot me a message.  

I'm currently working on my SOP for USC Annenberg and what they ask for in the guidelines seems to be very academic / theory focused. 

My current draft for them is kind of a narrative through my academic / graduate history with theorists that were relevant to me at the time and shaped my interests as they are now, but I'm worried it might seem a bit too much like name-dropping. How did you tackle this?  

That's good to know. I'm also contacting current PhD students to get a feel for the programs I'm interested in. Forewarned, foreamed, etc.

My fingers and toes will be crossed between now and April 15th, I think.

Talking to current students is an excellent approach. It's easy to look at faculty and ranking and lose sight of what the experience will be once admitted.

I'll be honest. I only applied to one program because I wanted to work with a specific professor and I was determined to do whatever I had to do to work here. I'm incredibly lucky that this program is as positive as an experience as it is for me as a student. Departmental climate is HUGE. (And it became even more important because my research interests shifted and I'm no longer working with the professor who was the reason I came here.)

I wrote the GRE again yesterday, I improved my score 5 points overall, 160V and 153Q. I started blanking on the AWA portion so we'll see how that goes, but I feel like most schools are not worried about the AWA unless it's really poor. I think this will make my application more solid than last year. Now to start contacting POIs and students if I can find them. :)