Fall 2016 Applicants

morlvera

I got tired of waiting for someone else to start this thread! Let's keep each other company while we slog through applications and wait for responses.

I'm applying to the MSW/MPH program at Pitt. Maybe I'll add some more schools to the list, maybe I won't. I'm putting the finishing touches on my SOP and resume, but other than that all I've got left is requesting transcripts and making sure the LORs get in on time. Hoping to get my part done in the next week or two so I can get busy waiting rather than agonizing over materials. 

Where are you all applying? Where are you at in the process?

I plan on applying for the Fall 2016 as well. Right now I am still narrowing down my list of schools based on whether they have a specialization in Older Adults and whether they can provide a good mix of macro and micro classes. Also looking at the price tag and scholarship availability is pretty important to me as well. 

I have been so excited about going back to school for my MSW, but now that I have started crunching numbers, it is beginning to look pretty expensive to go back to school, especially since i want to go to school full time. 

Anyways, so far these are the schools I have on my list so far

-University of Michigan

-Case Western Reserve University

-University at Albany

-Washington University in St. Louis (WashU)

There have been a couple Fall 2016 threads made some months ago, but they haven't been bumped recently.

I'll be applying to MPP/MSW programs at the following schools:

-UCLA

-University of Chicago

-University of Michigan

-University of Minnesota

-University of Texas-Austin

-University of Washington

After going back and forth on my list all year, I am sticking to these schools for the rest of the app cycle!

I have been so excited about going back to school for my MSW, but now that I have started crunching numbers, it is beginning to look pretty expensive to go back to school, especially since i want to go to school full time. 

Yeah, the numbers definitely worrisome. I'm looking to go full time as well, but hoping I can squeeze in a part-time job for some pocket money.

Just applying for schools puts a nice dent in the wallet! My list of potential schools ballooned to 7 at one point and I don't even want to think about how much that would have cost me. 

I'm also applying MSW/MPH for Fall 2016.  I have too many schools: nine.  I like them all for various reasons but a common problem I have is that I will really like the SW program but then the MPH program will be generalist or not have a concentration that excites me, or vice versa. I also think I should be applying broadly because my academic record is not that great.  I'm working on my essays now.  I am taking the GRE next month. 

My goal is to get micro/direct practice training on the SW side, along with the population perspective of the MPH.  I will be going FT, am a career changer, and very worried about the cost as well!  It seems only expensive schools offer the MSW/MPH.  I have one cheap in-state that offers it, but they force you into administration and management for both.  It would be cheaper for me to do the two degrees separately at this university over four years in the concentrations that I want. That's an option.  There's no way I am going $100K + into the hole for this and I think it's ethically suspect to charge that kind of tuition for a social work degree!  Subsequently, Columbia is not on my list, nor is USC (University of Southern California).  

I'm also applying MSW/MPH for Fall 2016.  I have too many schools: nine.  I like them all for various reasons but a common problem I have is that I will really like the SW program but then the MPH program will be generalist or not have a concentration that excites me, or vice versa. I also think I should be applying broadly because my academic record is not that great.  I'm working on my essays now.  I am taking the GRE next month. 

My goal is to get micro/direct practice training on the SW side, along with the population perspective of the MPH.  I will be going FT, am a career changer, and very worried about the cost as well!  It seems only expensive schools offer the MSW/MPH.  I have one cheap in-state that offers it, but they force you into administration and management for both.  It would be cheaper for me to do the two degrees separately at this university over four years in the concentrations that I want. That's an option.  There's no way I am going $100K + into the hole for this and I think it's ethically suspect to charge that kind of tuition for a social work degree!  Subsequently, Columbia is not on my list, nor is USC (University of Southern California).  

Good to see another career changer! My goal is the same as yours re: micro MSW and macro MPH and I had the same problem of loving either the MSW program or the MPH, but not both at the same school. I know I'll get some kind of scholarship for Pitt's MSW because I meet the GPA requirement, but the MPH doesn't give any aid at all so I'd be paying for that entirely out of pocket. I'm in-state, but it still won't be cheap.

Back to adding all of my coursework to SOPHAS. This is my punishment for taking advantage of several tuition assistance programs over the years. Sigh.

I'm thinking of applying to the following schools. . . still finalizing a list:

University of Michigan

UW Seattle

Portland State University

UC Berkeley

University of Denver

and maybe UW Madison

I'm interested in direct practice but not clinical work, and am having a hard time figuring out which schools focus/specialize on clinical vs. other types of direct practice vs. more indirect stuff. Anyone have any recommendations for how I might get a feel for this? 

Yeah, the numbers definitely worrisome. I'm looking to go full time as well, but hoping I can squeeze in a part-time job for some pocket money.

Just applying for schools puts a nice dent in the wallet! My list of potential schools ballooned to 7 at one point and I don't even want to think about how much that would have cost me. 

A part time job would be great! I hear working during MSW program can be tough, but I am up for the challenge if it means being able to school full time. I haven't event looked at applications prices yet! I better narrow down my choices of schools. 

It seems to only way to go to school full time, as far as i can see, is to either get tuition assistance through graduate assistantships, get a scholarship or take our grad plus loans for living expenses (kind of wish i can live with my parents *tear*)

Any one know of any good places to find external scholarships? I'm doing my own research as well but just curious 

University of Michigan

UW Seattle

UC Berkeley

University of Denver

and maybe UW Madison

I'm interested in direct practice but not clinical work, and am having a hard time figuring out which schools focus/specialize on clinical vs. other types of direct practice vs. more indirect stuff. Anyone have any recommendations for how I might get a feel for this? 

I was just thinking about the "direct but not clinical" thing yesterday. At first i thought i wanted to do MACRO social work. Upon further research, I see myself being interested in a little bit of both Direct Practice and the Indirect administrative stuff, so I am looking for schools that are flexible in allowing me to take a little bit of both sides. Also, I believe it was on the UConn MSW website, they have a casework specialization and group work specialization which seems direct but not as clinical. I am sure there are a few other schools like that. 

Right now my list includes: 

University of Southern California, Loyola University - Chicago, University of Illinois-Chicago, WashU, Rutgers, and Fordham. 

University of Michigan is one of the schools I would love to attend but feel less than confident in submitting an application. Same with UC Berkeley, which I mostly like because I am from the area. 

I just started to finalize my list and take the application process seriously. I was on the fence about applying for Fall 2016 but now I am determined to make it happen. I plan to draft my personal statement over the next two weeks. 

I see a few people doing MSW/MPH. I'm curious- how do you plan on utilizing your dual degree after graduation?

I'm not looking at this from a strictly vocational standpoint.  I have ideas about what I want to do, obviously.  But first, I really want the intellectual exercise of being in class, having discussions, writing papers, and doing the field work.  I've had a long career already.  I've been in charge.  I'm not in a hurry to attach myself to an outcome, nor am I concerned about getting a job afterwards because I am already a proven entity.  

I am beginning the process of applying to MSW programs now. I am looking at Columbia and NYU with NYU being my first choice. I need to have a couple back up school in mind as well but I am unsure as to which ones to choose. I will be applying for advance standing programs because I am graduating from University of Saint Joseph with my BSW in May. I am really grateful these forums are available and I look forward to communicating with everyone through out this process.

Applying to 1 or 2 programs for Fall 2016. Lining up my LORs, making notes for my SOP, and studying for the GRE. Teaching myself math is hard. :/

I'm in the same boat with the math.  I have a really analytical job and work with numbers all day long.  But geometry? Algebra?  Not so much!

I retake the GRE next Saturday, so I know what you two are going through right about now. In hindsight I really didn't need to retake it, but meh.

These SoP questions on the MSW apps are much more daunting to me. Each program's essay requirements seem quite different from each other, so trying to write a "generic" response while tailoring it to each school will longer than anticipated. At least the MPP application essays seem more standardized--and with small word limits.

Yay! I've been a lurker for like 2 years so I'm excited to start talking about actually applying, haha! I'm applying to SDSU, CSUSM, CSUF, CSULA and weighing on a 5th choice. I just took the GRE for SDSU Friday but they only care about the writing score which I'm still waiting on. All my applications open on Oct.1  so I am currently working on my personal statement for SDSU (top choice) and will hopefully have it done this week as my professor requested it before he writes my LOR. 

I'm surprised to see a few of you only applying to public schools that are out-of-state. Remember (perhaps with the exception of USC and Columbia), the "sticker price" is not always what you pay. I turned down an in-state offer at UNC-CH for UChicago because UChicago was going to cost me less.

• 2 weeks later...

University of Michigan

UW Seattle

UC Berkeley

University of Denver

and maybe UW Madison

Hi becj,

I am from Colorado and know a little about the MSW program at DU. A colleague of mine who already has her MSW attended DU and said that it is HIGHLY clinical. This was her opinion, but I thought I would pass it along. 

Just waiting on one LOR for my applications to be complete. Ugh, waiting. 

I've already submitted the MPH app so SOPHAS can do its thing, but am stalling on the MSW app because my desire to do micro over macro is waning. Stupid, mind! Why do you keep changing?! 

Dang, you've already got your apps submitted? Good on you! I was just putting together a to-do list for my MPP/MSW applications. Still need to secure one more LOR, get approval for fee waivers, draft my SOPs... I'm not behind schedule at the moment, but I need to stay on top of things.

Dang, you've already got your apps submitted? Good on you! I was just putting together a to-do list for my MPP/MSW applications. Still need to secure one more LOR, get approval for fee waivers, draft my SOPs... I'm not behind schedule at the moment, but I need to stay on top of things.

Just figured I'd get them out of the way so I could concentrate on football season and fall TV. Priorities, right?