Fall 2016 Applicants

morlvera

Hello, 

I thought I'd introduce myself, as this seems to be where I fit. I'm graduating in December with my BA in public relations, with honors - GPA: 3.5. I graduated two years ago from a community college, with honors - GPA: 4.0.

I'm applying for the MSW programs at a handful of top 20 schools. 

My letters of reference are coming from a sociology professor, department chair at my state school, and the director of the non-profit I volunteer for. I had the privilege of reading over two of them, and they are phenomenal. I worked incredibly hard on my supplementary statement, had over a dozen people read it over, so I'm fairly confident in this area. 

One wildcard I do have is a connection in the department at my top school. I used her as a reference and I'm hoping this helps my application somewhat. 

My experience is where I lack a bit. I've had six internships in PR, some working with non-profit clients. I have around 100 hours of volunteer service with various community organizations, and I volunteer regularly with a non-profit. I know many who are applying have worked, or currently do work, in social work specifically - I'm a bit nervous about this.

I didn't take the GRE, as it's not required by many programs. 

I've applied to the University of Michigan, WashU, USC, NYU, Columbia and a handful of others. 

My applications were all completed this week, so now we wait! 

Any input anyone has would be wonderful.

Thanks! 

Fair enough! Well, I'm fairly new to deciding I want to take the MSW track, but I'm certain it's where I want to take my career path. From what I've observed in talking to several people in the programs, and a handful of admissions counselors, you have a strong application if: 

• Your undergrad GPA is at 3.5 or above
  • A supplementary statement that depicts the qualities of a future SW, along with excellent written communication skills
  • Letters of recommendation in academia and service that attest to your ability to handle a rigorous masters program
  • Some type of volunteering/ human service within the last few years - the more, the better

These are just general guidelines, and I'm sure most of you have seen similar criteria on admissions sites. From my very general knowledge, a rough acceptance rate of around 50% is the norm for many programs. There's several small schools, particularly out west, that have acceptance rates that are much lower than this. From my research, I've discovered two extreme conclusions: 1.) MSW programs are as difficult to get into as any program or 2.) MSW programs border on open admissions, so long as you have a decent GPA, you're in. My guess is that the reality falls somewhere in the middle, but again, this is such speculative info...take it with a large dose of salt! 

Edited by UMichHopeful93

Hey all - new to the board (although I've been stalking it slowly for a while) and thought I'd join in on all the fun. I'm currently enjoying the fun of writing personal statements, so I guess we can all commiserate together. I'm applying to two MSW programs (Pitt and University of Maryland - Baltimore) and potentially two child life programs (Pitt and Mills). I'm really interested in combining social work and child life, no matter what program I end up at, as I think they go hand in hand. Thus, I really tried to find programs that have a strong health component and a connection with children's health settings.

I have a BS in psychology (minor in public health) and a BA in political science (GPA for the dual degrees - 3.6). I have worked with children in educational settings in the US and two other countries, and I have a lot of volunteer experience - I'm finishing up my Peace Corps service at the beginning of next year and have completed two terms of service in AmeriCorps previously. I'm hoping I'll have a strong application and can demonstrate my true commitment to service and working to meet the needs of children. (And if they're looking for someone who is particularly adept at hand washing clothes or using a pit latrine, I'm definitely their girl!) It's a bit hard to focus on the applications as it all seems so removed from my current life right now, but I'm almost done with UMB's and then I'll move on to their Coverdell and Shriver Peaceworker applications. I just wish I wasn't so easily distracted when I get internet connection!

Hey all. Figured I would jump on board too.

I'm also writing personal statements right now and just finished my Peace Corps service in Peru (so I know what you're talking about kargigogo!)

I have a bachelor in social work so I'll be applying to the advanced standing programs at UT Austin, University of Washington, Washington University in St. Louis, University of North Carolina, and University of Denver (not totally set in stone but I think these 5) along with two in state schools (University of Kentucky and University of Louisville).
I have a 3.64 undergrad (3.75 institution and 3.86 social work classes - I came into college with some community college credit I earned my senior year in high school).

I'm hoping graduating from the Honors program at my undergrad and Peace Corps will really boost my chances as well as two summer internships at a residential treatment facility for emotionally disturbed youth. I'm pretty nervous about applying to UT-Austin (my first choice) though I'm not sure if I should be.

They do require the GRE so I'm not enjoying studying for that. I did see that their average scores for admitted MSSW students are much lower than my practice exam scores but someone pointed out that they may require higher than their average admitted for out of state applicants.

Regardless, I hope they give out scholarships for out of state students.

Best of luck to everyone!

My applications are complete for

• Rutgers 
  • Penn
  • Temple
  • West Chester 

I'm considering applying to

• Bryn Mawr

I'm staying put in Philadelphia. Already have a full-time job in the field, working with adults with physical disabilities. I want to stay in social work but switch populations to work with immigrants and refugees, adolescents, and/or at-risk youth. 

My undergrad is in sociology, I graduated from Temple with a B.A. in 2013 with a 3.67 GPA. 

I plan to go pursue my MSW part-time with a clinical concentration. I want to eventually become an LCSW. If accepted to Rutgers or Penn, my top schools, I will pursue international social work with immigrants and refugees. The other schools don't offer it, but they're affordable and close by. 

We'll see who accepts me and how much financial aid I'm offered. 

Edited by rmc710

Yeah, the numbers definitely worrisome. I'm looking to go full time as well, but hoping I can squeeze in a part-time job for some pocket money.

Just applying for schools puts a nice dent in the wallet! My list of potential schools ballooned to 7 at one point and I don't even want to think about how much that would have cost me. 

Tip: Some schools offer fee waivers if you attend their information sessions. U.Penn and West Chester both waived my application fee for attending their information sessions/open house.

I'm finishing up my Peace Corps service at the beginning of next year and have completed two terms of service in AmeriCorps previously. I'm hoping I'll have a strong application and can demonstrate my true commitment to service and working to meet the needs of children. (And if they're looking for someone who is particularly adept at hand washing clothes or using a pit latrine, I'm definitely their girl!) It's a bit hard to focus on the applications as it all seems so removed from my current life right now, but I'm almost done with UMB's and then I'll move on to their Coverdell and Shriver Peaceworker applications. I just wish I wasn't so easily distracted when I get internet connection!

Yay, Peace Corps! 

About me:

• Current third-year Peace Corps Volunteer Leader finishing up my Service mid-next year. 
  • My first two years of Service focused on building capacity among workers in the education and health sectors and managing small projects/grants.
  • As a third-year Leader I help guide Trainees and Volunteers through Service and work with an NGO developing a community garden for a small, rural village.
  • Two-term AmeriCorps member; service was with American Red Cross and focused on client casework and volunteer management.
  •  Undergraduate degree in Latin American Studies w/ Spanish minor (two research fellowships and one internship; Graduated 7 years ago, LOL)
  • Applying to Case Western Reserve University because I like the setup of the programs and field placements, there is no application fee, they offer Coverdell Fellowships, and I like Cleveland (family and cheap cost of living).
  • Applying for MSSA with specialization in Aging (I am very interested in working with adult refugee and immigrant populations, as well as the aging prison population)
  • Certified Advanced-High Spanish (not sure if this helps my application)

Good luck to everyone! And if you're applying for a Coverdell Fellowship, please write back to let us know how your application fared! 

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has really seemed to have quieted down. I'm assuming everyone is busy working on their applications! Just think, in a short couple of months, some will start hearing back! Exciting, but also slightly terrifying. The waiting part is terrible. Is anyone else checking their emails, mailboxes, online portals, etc. several times a day, even thought you know it's still at least a couple months out for a decision?   

I applied to a dual degree MPH/MSW program. They'll start reviewing applications for the MPH before the end of the month, which is -- to steal a line -- "exciting, but also slightly terrifying." I'm still waiting on one more LOR though. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

This thread has really seemed to have quieted down. I'm assuming everyone is busy working on their applications! Just think, in a short couple of months, some will start hearing back! Exciting, but also slightly terrifying. The waiting part is terrible. Is anyone else checking their emails, mailboxes, online portals, etc. several times a day, even thought you know it's still at least a couple months out for a decision?   

Yes! I finished up my application for UMB and submitted it on Friday and I already want to check like a million times a day. I should be better at this after waiting 9 months for my Peace Corps invitation, but apparently I'm not. I really hope I don't have to wait until April to hear back... I might go crazy!

Hello!

I'm new to this board so thought I'd say hi!  I'll be graduating with my BS in Human Services from CSUF in May and I plan on applying to the MSW program at UCLA, CSULB, and SJSU for next fall.  

Good luck to everyone applying and I look forward to impatiently waiting with you all until we hear back from our top schools! :) 

Hi all,

I've always enjoyed reading posts on these forums, but I've never posted myself. I'm in the process of writing my SOPs... but I've been having this lack of confidence on whether I am a strong applicant. I'm applying to UW and PSU (I live in Seattle, but I can't stray too far away).

I did my AA as a high school/college student and then BS in SPHSC (communication disorders) at UW. I decided to veer paths and went into ASL interpreting. My parents are Deaf so its been a long experience with disabilities as a whole (...all of my life). Its my second language. My overall GPAs range from the 3.55-3.6. 

I ended up getting swept into Employment Consulting where my agency works with people with disabilities, helps place them in jobs... and I do a lot of training/job coaching. I've done 200+ hours of volunteering as an interpreter, and I've worked as a caregiver as well.

So basically, I believe I am strong in some ways... but I am afraid that my direct service would pale in comparison to doing Peace Corps or even having an UG in Social Work.

My main issue is that my LORs are not academic related. I was a stressful, anxious mess during my UG so I never made *amazing* connections.

Also... worked on essay today so the English is hard.

I share some of your concerns, LAT, albeit from a different perspective. I currently work in a national non-profit working on social policy advocacy within income and work support programs. I was actually staring at some of these admission essays prompts last night feeling like I wouldn't be able to answer the questions because I don't come from a direct service background (although I have 3 years of volunteering experience).

There was a question on one app about whether you have a year of paid human service experience and I was stumped... does my job fall within the scope of "human services" even though it is not directly dealing with clientele? Blech.

I feel as if I have valid explanations for my educational and career paths and why I want to pursue social work as it related to policy, but that I'm also at a disadvantaged for having a macro focus. I've been reassured that this isn't the case within programs, but it feels that way when I try to answer these prompts!

Hi there.

I'm new to the boards and just wanted to say good luck to all of my fellow Fall 2016 MSW hopefuls. I'm currently applying for 4 graduate MSW programs including:

1. LSU
  2. Tulane
  3. UT of Austin
  4. Portland State University

I'm fairly nervous, but excited at the same time. The application process so far has been hectic, as each school does their application forms, letters of recommendations, and essays differently. I'm not sure how some of you apply to 20 different schools. Just kidding, of course. :P But yeah, I'm hoping to be a strong candidate for these programs. My GPA is at 3.85 with a BS in Psychology, have volunteered 3 years in a schizophrenia lab as an undergrad research assistant, will have been working (started off as a volunteer) as a crisis and suicide intervention phone counselor for over year (w/ over 600+ hours of experience), and will have 3 letters of rec from two PhD professors, and one from my supervisor at work. My GRE score isn't the best, as I hate standardized tests... and never excelled in them. That is the only thing I'm worried about, but most of the schools I'm applying to either don't require it, or see it as low standing regarding admissions. Or, at least that is what I'm hoping.

Hopefully looking into a clinical path involving areas of concentrations/electives on mental health, substance abuse, LGBT studies, and/or crisis intervention.

It's great to hear all of you talk about you experience with applying, as well. I really hope we all get into where we need to be. What concentrations of an MSW are y'all looking into when it comes to grad schools/future careers? It's such a board degree, it's great. :D

Hi there.

I'm new to the boards and just wanted to say good luck to all of my fellow Fall 2016 MSW hopefuls. I'm currently applying for 4 graduate MSW programs including:

1. LSU
  2. Tulane
  3. UT of Austin
  4. Portland State University

I'm fairly nervous, but excited at the same time. The application process so far has been hectic, as each school does their application forms, letters of recommendations, and essays differently. I'm not sure how some of you apply to 20 different schools. Just kidding, of course. :P But yeah, I'm hoping to be a strong candidate for these programs. My GPA is at 3.85 with a BS in Psychology, have volunteered 3 years in a schizophrenia lab as an undergrad research assistant, will have been working (started off as a volunteer) as a crisis and suicide intervention phone counselor for over year (w/ over 600+ hours of experience), and will have 3 letters of rec from two PhD professors, and one from my supervisor at work. My GRE score isn't the best, as I hate standardized tests... and never excelled in them. That is the only thing I'm worried about, but most of the schools I'm applying to either don't require it, or see it as low standing regarding admissions. Or, at least that is what I'm hoping.

Hopefully looking into a clinical path involving areas of concentrations/electives on mental health, substance abuse, LGBT studies, and/or crisis intervention.

It's great to hear all of you talk about you experience with applying, as well. I really hope we all get into where we need to be. What concentrations of an MSW are y'all looking into when it comes to grad schools/future careers? It's such a board degree, it's great. :D

Best of luck to you! I've heard UT Austin has a phenomenal program, though I'm sure all of those are great. Which school is your number one? It sounds like you're a very solid applicant, and I wouldn't worry about your GRE scores at all. Like you said, almost all programs don't require it and don't really take it into account as much as they do other aspects of the application. 

The concentrations you're going into sound super interesting. I wish I were the type of person who could handle clinical work, because all of those areas need help, reform and good people so desperately. 

As for me, I hope to take the MACRO path, mainly looking at management or policy and evaluation. I either hope to create waves of change by one day being an agency director, or working with some sort of political action team in D.C. to influence policy change for mental healthcare and the LGBT community. I also wouldn't mind eventually working in a corporation to develop and implement internal social programs and external community relations and outreach.

Best of luck to you! I've heard UT Austin has a phenomenal program, though I'm sure all of those are great. Which school is your number one? It sounds like you're a very solid applicant, and I wouldn't worry about your GRE scores at all. Like you said, almost all programs don't require it and don't really take it into account as much as they do other aspects of the application. 

The concentrations you're going into sound super interesting. I wish I were the type of person who could handle clinical work, because all of those areas need help, reform and good people so desperately. 

As for me, I hope to take the MACRO path, mainly looking at management or policy and evaluation. I either hope to create waves of change by one day being an agency director, or working with some sort of political action team in D.C. to influence policy change for mental healthcare and the LGBT community. I also wouldn't mind eventually working in a corporation to develop and implement internal social programs and external community relations and outreach.

Thanks so much! It's great to hear support; I wish the best of luck to you, as well. I don't have a preference as of right now when it comes to my top school. I will just be thankful and happy to get into any one of them! ;)

Your area of interests are awesome. I think it's great that you seem to have a passion for that area, especially advocating policy changes within mental healthcare and even in the LGBT community, as I feel passionate about both areas like you. I take it you are applying for Fall 2016, too? Have you already mentioned your school hopefuls? (Besides the obvious UMich :P)

Edited by pumpkaboo

On 10/29/2015 at 3:11 PM, pumpkaboo said:

Thanks so much! It's great to hear support; I wish the best of luck to you, as well. I don't have a preference as of right now when it comes to my top school. I will just be thankful and happy to get into any one of them! ;)

Your area of interests are awesome. I think it's great that you seem to have a passion for that area, especially advocating policy changes within mental healthcare and even in the LGBT community, as I feel passionate about both areas like you. I take it you are applying for Fall 2016, too? Have you already mentioned your school hopefuls? (Besides the obvious UMich :P)

Thank you! Yeah, U-M is probably my top choice because it's in-state for me and would be the cheapest option. I applied to UMichignan, Columbia, NYU, WashU, USC, as well as a couple of programs at smaller state schools.