Fall 2016 Applicants

morlvera

2 hours ago, RCtheSS said:

From the SSA website:

• December 1, for an early admission decision by February 15
  • January 15, for an admission decision by March 15
  • April 1

http://www.ssa.uchicago.edu/deadlines

I've seen this, thanks! I am just curious since some schools have similar deadlines but also admit students as they come in. 

On November 9, 2015 at 9:27:40 AM, RCtheSS said:

Ah, gotcha. It doesn't hurt to email their office for clarification, but I assumed their deadlines were "hard" as they've outlined them.

You are probably right! Waiting is so hard

Hey all,

I'm applying to MSW programs for Fall 2016. Schools I am looking at: WUSTL, University of Washington, Wisconsin, Hunter, Chicago.

A couple of questions:

1. How many schools is appropriate to apply for?
  2. What is the "average" acceptance rate for programs? 
  3. Should I add in a few "safety" schools (i.e. programs that are in the top 25 versus top 10)?

A brief background: I've been in the workforce for five years (have hopped from AmeriCorps to higher education and now in the private sector). I have a master's degree from NYU in Higher Education but need a terminal degree to focus on clinical mental health (MSW makes more sense than a PhD for my LT goals). My undergrad GPA was doo doo, but I killed it at NYU.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks! 

I turned in my application for early decision at USC. I would like to have an answer for that before I start applying at other programs because that SOP really kicked my butt among other things. Plus its my first choice! A couple of the other programs have later deadlines so I am hoping to know before those applications are due. I'm hoping to hear from USC early-mid January and I will be all nerves until then.

Edited by Jessa

On 11/10/2015 at 11:50 AM, jazzythree said:

Hey all,

I'm applying to MSW programs for Fall 2016. Schools I am looking at: WUSTL, Washington, Wisconsin, Hunter, Chicago.

A couple of questions:

1. How many schools is appropriate to apply for?
  2. What is the "average" acceptance rate for programs? 
  3. Should I add in a few "safety" schools (i.e. programs that are in the top 25 versus top 10)?

A brief background: I've been in the workforce for five years (have hopped from AmeriCorps to higher education and now in the private sector). I have a master's degree from NYU in Higher Education but need a terminal degree to focus on clinical mental health (MSW makes more sense than a PhD for my LT goals). My undergrad GPA was doo doo, but I killed it at NYU.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks! 

Hi jazzy, those are great schools! I don't know how many is typical to apply for, I would guess anywhere from 2-10. I am applying for 7, but I am focused more on locations than just schools. Average acceptance rate from what I've seen is 40-50%. I would add a safety school if you feel you aren't a very strong candidate. It doesn't hurt. For the most part however, it seems that most people will get in to at least one of their schools if they meet all of the admissions requirements. Would you all agree with this?

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/article/Journal-Social-Work-Education/193406211.html

You can find admit rates for all MSW programs listed at the link above.  It's an article from the Journal of Social Work Ed, using CSWE data aggregated from 1990-2004, but I would guess it hasn't changed much.  If you check there, you will find that University of Washington and Hunter are the only two schools you've listed who reject more applicants than they accept.

Hope this is helpful and stress-reducing for all the Penn, Chicago, NYU, Columbia, WUSTL, UIC, Smith, and BC applicants out there...

Hm, I don't know a ton about Michigan, except to say that I think it is very highly ranked, though I think that's based more on the productivity of its faculty than anything related to its MSW program.  None of the Michigan schools have tremendously high yield, and I have to wonder if that's because of the in-state competition for students.  There are a number MSW programs in Michigan, and I wonder if people apply to Michigan see if they can get in, and then choose a regional, cheaper program nearer their home.  (The article I posted talks about this, as well; the proliferation of schools of social work has led to competition for students and an inflation of acceptance rates so that schools can meet their enrollment goals.  Here's where I come in with my PhD in a few years, because clearly we need profs to teach at all these places, right?)

But I do think it's worth mentioning that "rankings" are not based on selectivity of students or any measure of quality of students graduating, certainly, but rather on the overall university's reputation and faculty productivity.  That's one of the reasons most social workers will tell you to save your money and go to state school rather than attend a highly "ranked" out-of-state or private school.  MSW programs are pretty much the same all over, because CSWE mandates required courses.

I moved from the south to the midwest for my PhD.  I did my MSW at a very low-ranked state school and I seem to be more prepared for doctoral studies than others who came out of higher ranked programs, so I am a firm believer that rankings really don't mean anything.  It's what you make of your program that counts. :)

On 11/17/2015, 7:20:19, pippapants said:

Hm, I don't know a ton about Michigan, except to say that I think it is very highly ranked, though I think that's based more on the productivity of its faculty than anything related to its MSW program.  None of the Michigan schools have tremendously high yield, and I have to wonder if that's because of the in-state competition for students.  There are a number MSW programs in Michigan, and I wonder if people apply to Michigan see if they can get in, and then choose a regional, cheaper program nearer their home.  (The article I posted talks about this, as well; the proliferation of schools of social work has led to competition for students and an inflation of acceptance rates so that schools can meet their enrollment goals.  Here's where I come in with my PhD in a few years, because clearly we need profs to teach at all these places, right?)

But I do think it's worth mentioning that "rankings" are not based on selectivity of students or any measure of quality of students graduating, certainly, but rather on the overall university's reputation and faculty productivity.  That's one of the reasons most social workers will tell you to save your money and go to state school rather than attend a highly "ranked" out-of-state or private school.  MSW programs are pretty much the same all over, because CSWE mandates required courses.

I moved from the south to the midwest for my PhD.  I did my MSW at a very low-ranked state school and I seem to be more prepared for doctoral studies than others who came out of higher ranked programs, so I am a firm believer that rankings really don't mean anything.  It's what you make of your program that counts. :)

I just realized there's a "quote" button. Thanks for the response. Good looking out! 

• 2 weeks later...

Pitt says you usually get a response in 4-6 weeks and tomorrow will be exactly 6 weeks since I applied. I jump every single time I get a new email notification. Come on, Pitt! Sure, I already know I'm getting in based on their guaranteed admissions thing. However, I've pretty well convinced myself that there's an invisible asterisks hiding a morlvera exclusion clause or something.

I hope everyone else is holding up well whether you're still working on applications or trying not drive yourself crazy while waiting for decisions!

Today I submitted my application to UCLA's MPP/MSW! In total I have three out of 12 dual degree applications submitted.

Meanwhile, my three LOR writer for my MSW applications has yet to submit letters or acknowledge my email reminders. I'm not sure what else I can do besides submit the rest of my apps on time and hope he gets it together! I realize that it's close to finals week for undergrads, so he's probably swamped.

Hi All! I'm just finishing up my MSW at Columbia this year, but as you can see from my signature I considered many other schools (I think I got into more than are listed but I was decided on Columbia early on). If you have any questions about scholarships, specific schools, curriculum, etc. or would like me to read over anything feel free to send it my way!

I know how stressful this process is so I'm there to help, best of luck to you all and as hard as it is to hear try not to worry too much :) 

I turned in all my applications a few days ago to:

~WashU

~UMichigan

~U of Pittsburgh

~Boston College

~UChicago

~Case Western

I'm wayyy more worried about scholarship than acceptance (although I'm worried about that too, haha!) 

On 12/1/2015, 2:16:07, RCtheSS said:

Today I submitted my application to UCLA's MPP/MSW! In total I have three out of 12 dual degree applications submitted.

Meanwhile, my three LOR writer for my MSW applications has yet to submit letters or acknowledge my email reminders. I'm not sure what else I can do besides submit the rest of my apps on time and hope he gets it together! I realize that it's close to finals week for undergrads, so he's probably swamped.

When are/were your apps due? Have you heard from the professor yet? It's nerve wracking to have such a big thing be completely out of your hands! Fingers crossed for you that the letters get in on time. I've read that there's some bit of leeway for late LORs if you have deadlines that have passed. Don't know how true it is, but I guess it makes sense that professors give other professors a pass because they all know how crazy life is this time of year.

13 hours ago, morlvera said:

When are/were your apps due? Have you heard from the professor yet? It's nerve wracking to have such a big thing be completely out of your hands! Fingers crossed for you that the letters get in on time. I've read that there's some bit of leeway for late LORs if you have deadlines that have passed. Don't know how true it is, but I guess it makes sense that professors give other professors a pass because they all know how crazy life is this time of year.

UCLA's MSW app was due December 1, and my professor was the last LOR I needed for that application. I had to submit the complete dual degree application even though the MPP materials aren't due until January 10 (so my last LOR for that program also isn't submitted yet). 

I've sent a reminder email from me on Sunday, and a reminder email from the application portal on Monday. I'm trying to stay positive and not think about it too much. My materials are in, and I do have a third LOR (from the MPP program) that I could potentially utilize. 

Just submitted my application to University of Illinois-Chicago's Jane Addams School and to UChicago SSA last week!

Amazing what a difference there was between the two applications and how that seems to correlate to the cost of attendance. :)

For anyone else applying to University of Chicago SSA: I just received a call from their admissions' office. They are extending the early admission deadline until tomorrow, December 4, 5:00pm local time.

UCLA's MSW application isn't due until December 15th for fellowship consideration. It might be different for dual-degree applicants.

I have submitted and am complete at Michigan and Berkeley (both for dual degree MSW/MPH). 

I need to finish WUSTL (MPH submitted and complete, need to finish MSW app), San Diego State (MSW only) and UCLA (MSW only) this weekend. My LORs are all in. I had to call and walk her through the process to get the last one submitted, but it's in and that's what counts.

10 hours ago, anony2888 said:

UCLA's MSW application isn't due until December 15th for fellowship consideration. It might be different for dual-degree applicants.

I have submitted and am complete at Michigan and Berkeley (both for dual degree MSW/MPH). 

I need to finish WUSTL (MPH submitted and complete, need to finish MSW app), San Diego State (MSW only) and UCLA (MSW only) this weekend. My LORs are all in. I had to call and walk her through the process to get the last one submitted, but it's in and that's what counts.

Oh geez, you are completely right...it is December 15!! Now I feel like a chump for stressing out over my rec letter when he has plenty of time to submit it.

I need to start thinking of gifts to send to my writers for dealing with me.