Applying to far away schools

Hey everyone.

So I am mainly applying to schools that are many states away because few programs allow applications in the spring and because California is very competitive. I have heard that schools don't always take applicants like myself seriously because they are afraid  that I may transfer out after a semester or two.

What can I say to ensure schools that I am a serious applicant? And where could I stick that in my letter of intent?

Thanks

I am not in the master's program ...but why should it matter if you're applying out of state? You kind of need to/is expected to increase your chances of getting in some place. I get that certification laws are different in different states and that it might be cheaper to attend an in-state school since you're taking out loans, or you might have to relocate your WHOLE family, but ...I don't think it makes any sense for them to take you less seriously for it. I wouldn't spend my time putting it in my letter of intent. I could be wrong; so ...hopefully others who are applying or already are accepted chime in; I don't want your chances of rejection to increase.

Hey everyone. I will be applying to a few schools out of state that are pretty far away. I have heard that some schools are weary of students like me because they may transfer out after a semester to a closer school.

What should I say to ensure the schools I am a serious candidate? Also where would I stick that in my letter of intent?

Thanks.

I am doing the same thing. 90% of my schools are out of California. However, most schools now a days are highly competitive. Every school takes each applicant seriously. I think coming from California or Rhode Island or Alaska doesn't matter. What matters is your application and how you make it work. Its your piece of art. So make it speak for you!

I think we must look outside the box. Remember that everyone is coming in with amazing extra-curriculars, volunteer work, some with professional experience, letters of recommendations, or GRE scores that are phenomenal. You have to take an honest look at yourself and present that which is MOST UNIQUE. Select that and run with it. How does that contribute to the university and the area that you are looking to research or the faculty that you are wanting to have tutelage under. Read the prompts that the universities provide. They are thorough and ask quite a bit from each of their applicants. My favorite is to read one or two articles of research under a professor that you like. See what ties into your strengths, your ideas from your soul, and if you have ever imagined yourself doing something better/differently/or wanted to change some iota of a preexisting program. You must sell yourself and not present yourself as being timid. A university can sense who WILL give all they have and those who are uncertain by the SOP. The weeding out of the no's, the possibles, and those with potential can be screened simply by reading the first paragraph of your SOP. I think you could discuss how serious you are about your education and devotion to your profession and the university as you wrap the SOP up. This way you can tie it all nicely together. Open strong with your interests, have your breadth of work, faculty information etc and then close with why you are the best choice emphasizing your commitment. 

Good luck and don't give up!

Edited by Woodsygal85