Free GRE scores to schools

So I have not taken the GRE yet but hear you can send to about 4 schools for free w/o seeing your score the day of your test.  Is it a huge risk to do this?  Will a school judge you based on a bad score even if you score better next time?  Peers have told me it is a bad idea to send any scores that you haven't seen yet.  But the money saving option is tempting.  

Advice?

I think this is an interesting way to look at it, because prior to 2011, everyone always used the free score reports because you never get to see your scores before you send it! 

With ScoreSelect, I think the right strategy is this: Do you plan on taking the GRE more than once? 

If not (I think most people only need to take it once), then use the free score reports! 

If you are already going to spend the extra $$$ and time to pay for and study for a GRE retake, then you might as well make the most of it and not use the free reports so that you have the most control over the scores. 

There can be some hybrid strategies where you use the free reports on the "less competitive" schools where you don't care as much which scores are submitted.

Also, maybe it's just confirmation bias, but I've noticed more and more students here retaking the GREs or planning for more than one attempt now that ScoreSelect is an option. In the past, schools will always see all GRE exams taken in the last 5 years so I felt that I had to do well on my first try because even if I tried again, they would still see my first score. I wonder if ETS publishes the # of tries per test taker stats. Personally, I think ScoreSelect has got to be one of the best business decisions they've made as it seems to have both increased test taking as well as willingness to give up the free score reports!

So I have not taken the GRE yet but hear you can send to about 4 schools for free w/o seeing your score the day of your test.  Is it a huge risk to do this?  Will a school judge you based on a bad score even if you score better next time?  Peers have told me it is a bad idea to send any scores that you haven't seen yet.  But the money saving option is tempting.  

Advice?

you will be able to see your scores before sending them. Basically as soon as you finish the last section the next screen asks whether you want to see your scores or cancel them. The test won't ask where you want to send them until after you see the scores. You just won't know your AW score till later.