Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

Good luck to everyone who wish to attend MSW in 2016, here is the unofficial stats for 2015 MSW admission in three Toronto universities that offer MSW program( based others estimation only, not confirmed with school authorities, I don't hold responsibility for the accuracy of this data . don't PM me about where I get the numbers from  :mellow:)

U of T,  acceptance rate 1 in 11 for two years program, 1 in 4 for one year program (both full time and part time)

York,  acceptance rate 1 in 28 for two years program, 1 in 2.5 for one year program (both full time and part time)

Ryerson, acceptance rate 1 in 4  for one year program (Full time)

Edited by YWEANG

Hey, thanks for starting the new thread! :) 

I just wanted to reiterate a few points about the 2015 application cycle for U of T that I learned at the info session:

1) In 2015 no-one with a B- or lower in research methods was admitted into the program (regardless of otherwise spectacular grades and experience), the vast majority of those admitted were in the A-range, so if you're sitting at or below a mid-B average you should seriously consider boosting it for this year's application as chances of acceptance with it may actually be close to if not zero. Angela (U of T's admissions coordinator) said that many students have successfully upgraded their research methods mark via online courses through Athabasca University!  This is a great option for those who have been out of school or who can't fit another research methods course into their timetable. 

2) This year, U of T says that they are likely going to be following the same admissions timetable that they did this past year, and this means that acceptances for Advanced Standing will begin going out in February-ish and the 2-year will start in March-ish...so a lot less waiting than previous years!

Also, at the info session they said that there were almost 900 applicants in 2015 for the 2 year program, and 140 were accepted which is about 15% acceptance, so chances are SIGNIFICANTLY less bleak than 1 in 11, (more like 1 in 6!), and that is department confirmed :)

Wishing everyone tremendous luck this year, we're all in this together!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Good luck to everyone who wish to attend MSW in 2016, here is the unofficial stats for 2015 MSW admission in three Toronto universities that offer MSW program( based others estimation only, not confirmed with school authorities, I don't hold responsibility for the accuracy of this data . don't PM me about where I get the numbers from  :mellow:)

U of T,  acceptance rate 1 in 11 for two years program, 1 in 4 for one year program (both full time and part time)

York,  acceptance rate 1 in 28 for two years program, 1 in 2.5 for one year program (both full time and part time)

Ryerson, acceptance rate 1 in 4  for one year program (Full time)

Hi, YWEANG, thank you for starting this new thread and thanks for sharing the stats. I applied for U of T's two-year MSW program last year and got wait listed. My background is different but I have been trying to gain related experience as a volunteer and have been reading books and articles. I am going to apply again this year. Good luck to everyone!

Hey everyone,

I was accepted and will be beginning the 2 year MSW program at U of T this year. If anyone has any questions about the program or about the application process feel free to shoot me a direct message (or post on the forum, but message guarantees I won't miss it).  I'll check back periodically :)

And I can confirm that the odds for getting into the 2 year U of T this year were about 1 in 6 based on what it said on my admission letter!

Good luck everyone, I know the process is completely tedious and stress inducing but it doesn't last forever. Make sure that you practice self-care as that is integral to coping with applying and waiting! 

So I'm wondering if going the two year full-time student route is even worth attempting at this time, considering my pretty meh GPA from my undergrad. I was planning to apply to U of T, York and Laurier. 

Currently am working in children's mental health facilities as a CYW. I have pretty great paid job/unpaid internship experience and in some really unique organizations so I'm less worried about having field experience.  I also now work for a prof at another Ontario university, researching a super interesting and emerging field. Prof is very very supportive of me, is giving me so much experience/responsibility and has basically said she'll do all that she can to help with this process. Win. 

But. I graduated from undergrad in 2011 with a CGPA of 2.98 from McGill, but if you're just counting my last year of studies, about a 3.30 (=B+).  Overall transcript is pretty littered with B's. After a getting an F in my first attempt at stats, I did get a B+ in the required research course.  Based on what I've been reading, this sounds hella mediocre.  I'm probably still going to apply regardless, but I don't want to get my hopes up if its not worth it. What do you guys think? Is this a long shot? 

Knowing a few people that have gotten in and been rejected, I'm a little surprised. Some of my rejected friends are probably the most qualified to work in the field and others who have actually gotten in I guess just spun the shit out of their statements because they are the most meh humans I have ever encountered, in terms of experience/research interests. Thoughts?

So I'm wondering if going the two year full-time student route is even worth attempting at this time, considering my pretty meh GPA from my undergrad. I was planning to apply to U of T, York and Laurier. 

Currently am working in children's mental health facilities as a CYW. I have pretty great paid job/unpaid internship experience and in some really unique organizations so I'm less worried about having field experience.  I also now work for a prof at another Ontario university, researching a super interesting and emerging field. Prof is very very supportive of me, is giving me so much experience/responsibility and has basically said she'll do all that she can to help with this process. Win. 

But. I graduated from undergrad in 2011 with a CGPA of 2.98 from McGill, but if you're just counting my last year of studies, about a 3.30 (=B+).  Overall transcript is pretty littered with B's. After a getting an F in my first attempt at stats, I did get a B+ in the required research course.  Based on what I've been reading, this sounds hella mediocre.  I'm probably still going to apply regardless, but I don't want to get my hopes up if its not worth it. What do you guys think? Is this a long shot? 

Knowing a few people that have gotten in and been rejected, I'm a little surprised. Some of my rejected friends are probably the most qualified to work in the field and others who have actually gotten in I guess just spun the shit out of their statements because they are the most meh humans I have ever encountered, in terms of experience/research interests. Thoughts?

Hi! It sound like you have a lot of terrific experience working in the field (demonstrating commitment and passion), in addition to having some strong references! While your GPA isn't super high, sitting at a B+ is still super decent and it's totally possible to get into an MSW program with this grade.  The fact that your experience and references are strong can definitely offset your GPA, as many MSW programs take a holistic approach to reviewing candidates. Strengths in certain areas can definitely compensate for weaknesses in others. 

Programs are super competitive, there's no way around that, so while I wouldn't say your acceptance is a long shot--it's really hard to say what your odds are because there are so many other variables that have to be factored in, (i.e. how you represent your experience, quality of personal essays, the strength of other applicants in your cohort, etc.)

Like you said, it's hard to predict what a department is specifically looking for from year to year, you'll never really know unless you apply!

Just as an aside, I think it's important to avoid referring to any person as "the most meh human", there is so much more to a person than may meet the eye  and as a future-social worker I think it's important to view people through a non-judgemental lens...you never know a person's entire story, you only get to view the snapshot they share. 

Best of luck to you if you do decide to apply this year, rooting for you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I am so happy that I found this thread!

I was wondering if anyone has any information about Waterloo's MSW Advanced Standing program. Also, which universities should I consider if I am interested in clinical/health-related areas other than U of T and Waterloo?

Thank you in advance for your input, and good luck to us! :)

Hello everyone! I am so happy that I found this thread!

I was wondering if anyone has any information about Waterloo's MSW Advanced Standing program. Also, which universities should I consider if I am interested in clinical/health-related areas other than U of T and Waterloo?

Thank you in advance for your input, and good luck to us! :)

Hey!!

I've heard that Windsor is also really good for clinical stuff so maybe check their program out! :) 

Hi everyone! Laurier rejectee from last year's cycle. 

All is not bleak as I was offered a 1 year contract with an immigration agency after graduation this summer. I am unsure of applying to u of t for my advanced standing MSW as 1) I want to do it someday and 2) I fear hitting a glass ceiling with only my bsw. I feel a little stuck though, as my position has a high turnover rate so it is likely that the contract will be renewed in the summer. The wage is far from amazing and I lack any sort of health or dental  benefits. I have lots of thinking to do...

Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone,

I plan on applying for the one year MSW program at a few different universities. My interest is definitely in more structural/anti-oppressive MSW programs so I am leaning towards York and Ryerson over U of T. From what I can see U of T seems like a more research/clinical school - would that be correct? I am from the West coast so have only used their websites to learn about their programs. I am also wondering about admissions and how many get accepted each year to those schools. According to the first poster it looks like York's odds are a little bit better - would people agree with that?

I won't be finished my BSW until next summer so I am  hoping that it won't hurt my chances. I do have more than 5 years of social service experience that I completed after my first degree.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi everyone,

I plan on applying for the one year MSW program at a few different universities. My interest is definitely in more structural/anti-oppressive MSW programs so I am leaning towards York and Ryerson over U of T. From what I can see U of T seems like a more research/clinical school - would that be correct? I am from the West coast so have only used their websites to learn about their programs. I am also wondering about admissions and how many get accepted each year to those schools. According to the first poster it looks like York's odds are a little bit better - would people agree with that?

I won't be finished my BSW until next summer so I am  hoping that it won't hurt my chances. I do have more than 5 years of social service experience that I completed after my first degree.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi!!

You are correct in your assumption that U of T is more clinical; however, from my understanding is that York accepts fewer applicants than other schools. With that being said, U of T and other schools with a clinical focus tend to get more applicants because a lot of people want to do clinical work over anti-oppression work. If you are looking to study anti-oppressive social work then York is definitely the school for you as this is their primary focus. 

I hope this helps!

Hi Everyone! I am so glad this forum exists!

I will be applying to the two year MSW program at UofT, Laurier and Windsor

My stats:

-will be completing a specialization in psychology this semester

-CGPA: 2.9; recent 300/400 levels it is a 3.6 GPA; last two years 3.4

-78% in research methods course

-19 months as a rehabilitation volunteer in a hospital (3 hours a week)

-3 months working as a camp counselor in a camp specialized for intellectual disabilities (56 hours a week)

-7 months as a research assistant at OISE in a child psych lab (10 hours a week)

-4 months as a RA at camh (37.5 hours a week)

-13 months as a volunteer RA at CAMH (8 hours a week)

-6 months as a volunteer for a organization dedicated to autistic kids (10 hours a month)

-over 120 hours as a co-chair for an adventure youth committee

Obviously my CGPA is very low and I am worried that I may not be competitive enough! Ideally I would like to go to Laurier or UofT! Do you guys think I have a shot?

I wish everyone the best of luck in their applications!

Wow! Your experience is over the top! I've heard that a lot of people will get in based on the amount of experience they have even if their GPA is a bit lower than others. I would definitely apply if I was you. It sounds like you're a competitive applicant :)

Hi Everyone,

I am applying to UofT's 2 year MSW program; with a collaboration in Addiction Studies. My passions are in addiction and mental health and what really drew me to UofT was their clinical emphasis and my ability to collaborate directly in my area of interest.
May I add that I am a little worried about the strength of my application because I do not have much hands on research experience outside the classroom (and I know Factor-Inwentash is really heavily research oriented). 

Just some info about my application and my experiences...

- GPA currently is 3.86 on a 4 scale
- I received an A in research methodology

- I currently volunteer at a drug & alcohol rehabilitation center, leading various workshops and programs with admission week clients
- My undergraduate thesis is underway, and I am looking at the Co-morbidity between adult ADHD and increased nicotine use

- I have been employed as a concierge at a retirement home for the last 4 years (currently work here)
- I have 200 hours of volunteer experience with the Canadian Mental Health Association
200 hours with Hamilton Health Sciences Elder Program as a volunteer
 I completed a summer placement at Toronto General Hospitals Eating Disorder Clinic
- I completed 300 hours of volunteering at a summer camp
 I have a year's worth of practicum experience in a classroom setting with a child who suffers from a DSM-5 diagnosis. 

I'm excited to meet everyone and share this nerve-wracking and exciting process with all of you :) 

Edited by rachberks

Hi everyone,

Also wanted to introduce myself and say good luck to you all! It's great that we can support each other on this thread. 

I'm applying to UofT's 2 year MSW program. I posted before in last year's admissions thread, but basically I am leaving my PhD program in the Humanities for a career in social work. Academia isn't my scene. I've been feeling increasingly unhappy about my career choice and after a health scare this year, I realized that I should be doing something that I am truly passionate about, not something I feel I 'should' be doing because of other people's expectations. But that is a whole other can of worms.

I'm not too sure of my chances for this year (not much volunteer experience in the human services) but I'm giving it a shot. I just started volunteering at a hospital in their mental health ward. My hope is to specialize in the health and mental health field at UofT. I have other volunteer experience but more in policy and media. My background is in Indigenous-focused research and policy. I have a LOT of research experience; I have been an RA since my undergrad and have spent some time in the public sector as a research consultant. I think that is my strength as from what I understand, UofT is more research and clinically based. I have an MA (non social sciences field) and an honours BA in History. I'm not worried about my grades, just lack of volunteer experience :(

The funny thing is I don't have a research methodologies course in the social sciences and I am working on that this fall! I'm taking an online course through Athabasca (anyone else taking this?). Nice to meet you all! :)

Hi all!

I am in the process of applying for Fall 2016 2 year programs. I am completing the last year of my BA in psych. My stats are as follows:

1) one year experience volunteering on crisis line with sexual assault centre (about 10 hours per week)
2) 8 months volunteer research assistance in adolescent development lab (10 hours per week)
3) recently (September) began a placement at a housing help centre (6 hours a week)
4) Working on research methods credit ( and trying not to cry a lot in my efforts for an A in this one)
5) 3.7-3.8 GPA in last two years of study.

I am planning to apply to UofT, UWindsor, and Lakehead's HBSW.
Any suggestions on how I can improve my chances between now and when applications are due?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Hi all!

I am in the process of applying for Fall 2016 2 year programs. I am completing the last year of my BA in psych. My stats are as follows:

1) one year experience volunteering on crisis line with sexual assault centre (about 10 hours per week)
2) 8 months volunteer research assistance in adolescent development lab (10 hours per week)
3) recently (September) began a placement at a housing help centre (6 hours a week)
4) Working on research methods credit ( and trying not to cry a lot in my efforts for an A in this one)
5) 3.7-3.8 GPA in last two years of study.

I am planning to apply to UofT, UWindsor, and Lakehead's HBSW.
Any suggestions on how I can improve my chances between now and when applications are due?

Good luck to everyone applying!

sounds like you have a good mix of clinical and research experience which is really helpful :) i'd aim for that A in research methods (or an A+ if you can!!!). I got the A in methods and really made sure my thesis is tied to my goals and interests because Im lacking research experience outside the classroom and it's really worrying me. I hope my social service experiences are enough 

sounds like you have a good mix of clinical and research experience which is really helpful :) i'd aim for that A in research methods (or an A+ if you can!!!). I got the A in methods and really made sure my thesis is tied to my goals and interests because Im lacking research experience outside the classroom and it's really worrying me. I hope my social service experiences are enough 

Thank you! I am working on that A, hopefully it happens XD Your experience seems incredible, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Another question: has anyone had experience with deferring an offer of admission? I notice most university websites mention that you can apply to do so. However, I'm wondering if you have to have a specific reason for it, of if anyone can defer an offer?

Hello all :)

I am applying to UofT's 2 year MSW program and Lakehead's HBSW program as my backup. I really have no idea how my application will stand up against other applicants and am worried as I struggled in school during my first and second year due to some cicumstances which left me struggle to catch up in upper years and I have little direct social work experience as I kind of discovered that it was what I wanted to pursue late into 4rth year of my bachelors. But I figured what the heck, it can't hurt to try!

For my UofT application these are the main things 
- My average for upper year courses is around 80% or 3.7 (on the ORPAS chart) in my upper year courses that would be counted... and 77% overall average.
- Sadly only a 79% research methodology

- I'm currently volunteering at a Distress Line Centre (36 hours of in-class training and currently 42 hours on the phone lines... hopefully I will have 100 by the end of the year)
- I have been worked as a special needs counsellor supporting children with autism, down syndrome, and other special needs at community camps for 3 summers (900 hours)
- 800 hours as a summer and winter camp counsellor leading programs for childrens aged 2 to 15
200 hours working/volunteering for Pan Am and Para Pan Am Games 
- 100 hours volunteering  as an activity leader at Children's Autism Support Centre evening programs 
- 180 hours volunteering as the VP of Human Resources at Students Offering Support (SOS) at Brock University over one school year 
- 150 hours as a Health and Dental Plan Assistant where I helped students with filing the correct health and dental claims
- 100 hours working as a registration clerk for the Federation of Humanities and Social Sciences

For my HBSW application all is the same except my average that they would be using would be around an 83%.

Any suggests would be really appreciated, I have no idea what I am doing! :huh:

Goodluck everyone!

Edited by DunnS

Hi Everyone,

I'm really new to this forum but SO glad that we all have a space to connect and share all of our questions and answers for this application season.  I am currently completing my fourth year of a BA in Human Rights & Equity Studies at York U and will be applying to Windsor's MSW for Working Professionals program in Peel Region (first choice), along with U of T's and York's 2-year MSW programs.  I currently have a bit over 4 years of experience as a front-line settlement and employment counsellor, working with newcomer clients and those looking for employment in a priority neighbourhood in Toronto; I have an A-average (8.0 out of 9 on York's confusing GPA scale) but NO unpaid/volunteer experience.  Do you guys think this shows a lack of initiative to make a difference without being paid on my part?  Or more simply, will my lack of varied experience hurt my application?

Also another question: I missed U of T's info session last week and will be unable to attend future ones because of work.  Did anyone happen to attend the session that would be kind enough to share any important updated info with the rest of us?  I will be attending York's info session at the end of the month and will be sure to provide some details here!  :)

I went to U of T's info session in the summer and what I understood was for us York students, they look at your last 24 upper level credits. You should have at least a B in research methods (but usually people get accepted with an A or higher). The average GPA of the accepted class last year was high B+/low A-. Having completed an undergraduate thesis looks very good for your application as U of T is quite heavily research based. Be careful on who you select as your referees as Angela said that quite a few referees send the forms back with Not Applicable as answers to some of the questions. To be safe we should start the online application of SGS by November 2nd to give your references a fair amount of time, but I started mine this week so I could have that out of the way! So contact your references as soon as possible to let them know they will be receiving the forms. 

Hope that helps :) and feel free to ask me anything else that comes to mind! 

I went to U of T's info session in the summer and what I understood was for us York students, they look at your last 24 upper level credits. You should have at least a B in research methods (but usually people get accepted with an A or higher). The average GPA of the accepted class last year was high B+/low A-. Having completed an undergraduate thesis looks very good for your application as U of T is quite heavily research based. Be careful on who you select as your referees as Angela said that quite a few referees send the forms back with Not Applicable as answers to some of the questions. To be safe we should start the online application of SGS by November 2nd to give your references a fair amount of time, but I started mine this week so I could have that out of the way! So contact your references as soon as possible to let them know they will be receiving the forms. 

Hope that helps :) and feel free to ask me anything else that comes to mind! 

Thank you so much for the info! That helps a lot and you've just motivated me to start the online application process sooner rather than later.  Unfortunately I didn't complete an undergrad thesis but will be mentioning a fourth year research seminar project that I am completing in collaboration with a community legal clinic - it's not quite the same but hopefully it's better than nothing!  Thanks again for info and good luck on your applications!  :)