Evaluation of Fall Transcripts

magnetite

Hi all,

In applying to graduate schools, do most people send in transcripts for the fall semester of their senior year? The programs I'm looking into have application deadlines on both December 15th and January 15th. If my fall transcripts aren't ready when I finish my applications, is it expected for me to send those transcripts?

Thanks!

If your fall transcripts are available by the application deadline, then send them. Otherwise, do not! If a school wants fall transcripts they will usually followup in January for them and/or ask you to update with fall transcripts when available.

Thanks for the quick replies. In that case, I have another question (or two or three):

I'm majoring in physics and about a year ago I changed to the B.A. degree plan. The only difference between it and the B.S. plan at my school is the B.A. doesn't require two quantum mechanics courses and two modern physics courses. I gain the ability to replace those classes with other upper level science electives. So, I'll be taking organic chemistry, biochemistry, a geology class, and perhaps microbiology (I'm applying to astrobiology programs). Unfortunately, none of those classes will be on my transcripts yet.

Also, upper level E&M and classical mechanics won't be on the transcripts yet, as I'm taking one this semester and the next in the fall. When evaluating my transcripts, could it be held against me that I haven't taken those yet? Should I mention all of this in my statements of purpose in my applications?

Your sidebar says your program is Oceanography. I don't think upper level E&M and classical mechanics classes will really matter to Oceanography graduate programs. 

However, even if you are also applying to Physics PhD programs (where these courses would matter), your transcript may show future classes you are registered for or currently taking (just without a grade). This is enough to show that you are enrolled. In addition, most Physics programs I applied to also asked you about courses you plan to take but do not yet show up on the transcript. 

If you are not applying to Physics programs, then you shouldn't even worry about this at all. If you are applying to Physics programs, and neither of the two above options apply, then you can just mention that you are taking these 2 courses in 1 sentence in your SOP. 

Right, Oceanography. I haven't found a school with an actual astrobiology program. What's available is bundled with just about any scientific discipline. Oceanography fits most closely with my interests, so that's where I'll be applying.

My school doesn't offer planetary science or oceanography, so I went with physics as my major.

Right, Oceanography. I haven't found a school with an actual astrobiology program. What's available is bundled with just about any scientific discipline. Oceanography fits most closely with my interests, so that's where I'll be applying.

My school doesn't offer planetary science or oceanography, so I went with physics as my major.

fwiw, imo, even if they did offer planetary science or oceanography, from what you've told me, being a physics major is better for grad school ^_^.

The majority of people (including me) in my planetary science program (and even other programs in our department, such as geophysics or environmental science) come from Physics undergraduate programs. Physics is a very useful toolkit for solving many multidisciplinary problems :) 

So, I think everything is great and you don't have to worry about not having upper level E&M or classical mechanics at all. And you mentioned a BA in physics instead of a BS--that's not a problem either. Two students in my program have BA degrees similar to you!