What Counts as Diversity, and Does it Matter?

Hashem1

I'm applying in yet another round of applications to PhD programs in NELC this fall. I've been struggling with whether to include mention of my "diversity" in the SOP and other places in the app. The problem is, I'm not exactly sure what counts as diversity and if it really even matters in admissions. 

I'm half Brazilian (my mother is from Sao Paulo), I speak remedial Brazilian Portugese; my father is from an Arab country (although I believe this counts as "White/Caucasian" in most apps?), I can understand formal Arabic at an advanced level. I'm also an older, "mature," non-traditional student, in my 30s (!), having somewhat recently graduated with a BA (3.98 GPA) in the honors program at a top 20 public institution, 2 honors theses, etc. 

Would most graduate programs in the humanities, NELC and related disciplines (History, Religious Studies, Classics, et al) in particular, consider me to be a "minority" candidate? 

It seems like the more competitive (top-20) programs have a strict focus on gender and ethnicity in their diversity recruitment (and, neither Brazilian/Argentinian/Chilean nor Arab ethnicities are given minority status).

Furthermore, if I'm half Brazilian, can I even claim to be "hispanic"?

Thank you. 

I know this is a confusing topic but it's not really helpful to think about it as "what counts as diversity". Because there are really many different factors that come into play. There is the legal definition of "Under-represented Minority" (URM) in the United States. Schools are required to report these numbers so there might be some incentive for schools to be able to report higher numbers in these categories. (In my opinion, I don't think a quota-based system is going to help but that's another topic). These legal definitions are very specific, it's something like : "African Americans, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), Pacific Islanders, and mainland Puerto Ricans". Note that only Americans count towards this group: a Mexican national attending a US school as an international student does not "count".

I've talked to officials at my school about diversity a lot because it's something we are trying to improve here. Our school recognizes that for legal purposes, we count and report students from URM groups but that this is not the only goal of diversity! We have a term for "human diversity" which includes all sorts of things, such as other minority groups not part of the URMs, age, family status, gender, sexuality, etc. Our goal is to create a diverse campus where everyone is welcome and can find others in common with them.

So, don't think of this as "what counts as diversity" because it's just ticking off a bunch of boxes. Instead just write about yourself. You are a human being, with interesting perspectives and experiences, not just a series of yes/no questions! Tell them about everything you said here and that will help the program/school see how you can fit into their community. The extent to what you write will depend on what part of the application you include this information. Some schools have a "statement of diversity" or a "personal statement" separate from the SOP. If so, tell your whole story there. If they do not, then be concise in your story in your SOP and focus on the academic aspects mostly. What schools ask for will indicate to you how much they value certain qualities.

On the graduate level, underrepresented minority status doesn't really matter as much in admissions. It's kind of a "nice to have" but doesn't really play the tipping point in getting you in or anything. You wouldn't really mention your "diversity" in your statement of purpose or the application unprompted; I'm African American, and I certanly didn't mention it in mine. Instead, you discuss your professional and academic qualifications for the program. The only time this would come up is in a diversity statement if one is requested, but most programs don't ask for that.

It might matter for fellowships and funding, but those sources usually have very specific requirements that will make it clear. (I have a friend who is Brazilian, but of European descent. She considers herself Hispanic/Latina. She is eligible for some fellowships for underrepresented minorities, but not others.)

I agree with Juillet - I'm a URM and I only mentioned my ethnicity (and other reasons I might be considered "diverse") for programs that requested diversity statements. I definitely wouldn't mention it in a statement of purpose, since I'm not sure how you'd fit that in while staying on topic.