Who to Choose for LOR?

pickfights

So I have four potential people I could ask for letters of recommendation. I'm wondering which would be most appropriate for an MSW program?

• Supervisor from sexual assault prevention internship during college

I'm definitely asking her. We are very close and I was an intern there for the majority of college. Here is where I'm struggling. Trying to decide between:

• Supervisor at my current AmeriCorps placement (DV Agency [but I am not doing direct service])
  • Professor from Fem Studies class.
  • Supervisor (grad student) from research class I took in Social Psychology. We wrote blogs about psychology and politics.

I'm concerned about a letter from my AmeriCorps supervisor - this position has been a struggle, and I'm not sure how she sees my performance (it's over in a couple months). Feedback from staff has been amazing, but from her position as Director of Programs, I'm not sure if I've been successful. My metrics aren't where they should be (I work with volunteers, volunteer hours and # of volunteers) and - I don't know how to say this delicately - I feel like I haven't given this position 100%. I'm concerned I won't get a glowing letter of rec. I'm torn because my position isn't direct service, so it's not that ~social worky (maybe I'm wrong about this - it's a DV agency which is my area of focus but it's working with volunteers) but I'm also afraid it would look suspicious to not have a LOR from my current supervisor. Also - maybe she would be able to write me a strong LOR. 

My question is - would it be better to have two academic letters? I know MSWs are not academic programs but professional programs. I know you need at least one academic letter, and my priority is my professor from my fem class because that was a more traditional class, but that second supervisor and I worked quite closely together and he saw up close my deep knowledge of psychological concepts. 

Sorry! Word vomit! Any feedback would be helpful. I kind of feel like I'm nitpicking but hey, I have time until apps are due (many aren't even open yet lol) and you all are always super friendly. Thanks!!

Could you arrange a meeting with your AmeriCorps supervisor sometime soon just to review your progress? If the meeting goes well, then it would make sense to ask her for a LOR now. If it doesn't, you would a) know not to ask her for a LOR; 2) have some critical feedback to strengthen your performance/learn new skills; and D) have the option to make the changes she suggests, keep touching base with her, and then ask for a LOR after exceeding her expectations. 

Good luck! 

Even if they were my direct supervisor? Noted.

Yes, even if they were your direct supervisor. When an undergraduate asks me for a LOR (as their TA or their direct research supervisor), I always tell them that if they absolutely have no other options, I would write one for them rather than leave them without an LOR, but I always strongly suggest they ask my own supervisor for the letter instead (either the professor of the course I'm TAing for, or the PI of the research group I'm working for).

If the student is unsure about asking the supervisor because they have had less contact, I'd offer to either let the prof know that a request is coming, or even come along in a meeting between the student, prof and me. And when it comes to generating content for the letter, the professor will certainly talk to the grad student in order to make sure the LOR contains all of the great things the student has done. Ultimately, the content will be the similar but it will carry a lot more weight with the prof's signature (and also the prof can probably offer a lot more insight than a grad student can).