Yale F&ES 2016Fall Anybody?

cloutma

23 hours ago, Savingtehplanet said:

It is a video interview as I went through the preliminary microphone testing and all that jazz. I am guessing there will be general questions just to gauge one's verbal ability and the ability to communicate, in the context of FES. I hope the experience is better than the TOEFL speaking section!

Have you submitted your application and done the video interview?

And I am wondering what the TOEFL/IELTS statement is. It said that this statement includes our experience reflecting English ability. Have you written that and what did you include?

I have submitted my application but haven't done the interview bit. I am sorry I was a bit ambiguous. I was comparing the interview to the TOEFL Speaking section on which I did not have a great experience, owing to, a large part of, to the testing centre! Nothing to do with this though.

14 hours ago, Savingtehplanet said:

I have submitted my application but haven't done the interview bit. I am sorry I was a bit ambiguous. I was comparing the interview to the TOEFL Speaking section on which I did not have a great experience, owing to, a large part of, to the testing centre! Nothing to do with this though.

No, I'm talking about the "supplementary materials". It requires a TOEFL Statement for those who submitted toefl scores. This written statement should describe my experiences that can reflect my English proficiency.  God knows why I shall write that since I've already got the TOEFL scores!!  Did you write that, or you've got nothing to do with TOEFL/IELTS?

On 2015/12/3 上午12:36:32, Savingtehplanet said:

How's it going on your interview? I haven't submitted yet and I am making some final adjustment on my PS.

It's killing me...

18 hours ago, Savingtehplanet said:

The interview deadline is the 22nd if I correctly believe. Anyhow plan to give it on the 12th or 13th of December. Would advise you not to overthink on your PS. I was a bit frank in my PS as to why I wanted to study in Yale.

Good luck on your interview!

Good luck to everyone! I submitted the application and am still waiting on one last letter to come in. For some reason the video interview is making me nervous, even though they say repeatedly it should not. So I'm probably just going to sit down this weekend, relax, and get it out of the way. It's one of the last steps before I am totally done with applications and I think I will feel a great weight off my shoulders once it is finished. 

Then we count down the days until March...

7 hours ago, runjackrun said:

Good luck to everyone! I submitted the application and am still waiting on one last letter to come in. For some reason the video interview is making me nervous, even though they say repeatedly it should not. So I'm probably just going to sit down this weekend, relax, and get it out of the way. It's one of the last steps before I am totally done with applications and I think I will feel a great weight off my shoulders once it is finished. 

I am just so anxious about the video interview, since I may never know what the hell it is until I sit in front of my computer. But at that time, it will be totally a mess......

Hi guys. Good to see a 2016 yale fes thread. I'm applying to mem fall 16 and hopefully we can share our thoughts here. 

Firstly, as far as I know, the sop is the most important part of application. I wrote to danielle, member of adcom, and was told the adcom looks at the sop, lors and professional experience. The gre is not a big factor considering lot of applicants are in industry. Also, the diversity of coursework is advantageous. Ideally successful candidates have a double degree or double major.

Coming to the sop, there are three to four topics which one should mention as understood from various blogs and websites. 

1) how did you get interested in environment and related discipline?

2) what have you done in that area?

3) what are your future goals and how do you think you'd be able to contribute to the field after yale?

4) how would yale help you achieve your goals?

sharing my profile:

BA and MA Econ from top 5 indian uni. Undergrad gpa - 3.5/4.0 (by wes standards). Apart from economics, took courses in anthropology, sociology, history, mathematics, statistics, political science, environment studies. Science graduate in high school but don't think that will count.  

MS quantitative economics from top European university. (Gpa 3.7/4.0)

Advanced level (phd) courses in micro and macroecon, topology, probability and econometrics, One course in management and one in law. 

Lor - one upenn phd, one princeton phd and director of top ten energy research centre (also my thesis supervisor) and the last one from a top Canadian uni phd. 

Almost no professional experience but have 3 years of research and ta experience, mostly part time. One paper on review at leading energy policy journal and two paper presentation at international climate change conferences. The lack of professional experience is my only concern. Hopefully my research compensates for it. 

Gre - 154 v 163 q awa 5.0 

I dont have lot of hope but my supervisor suggested i go for it. Hopefully i get lucky. 

On 2015/12/10 at 4:16 AM, runjackrun said:

Hi, when did you receive the video interview after you submitted the application? I have submitted it for one day, but I still haven't received the interview invitation.

On 2015/12/8 at 9:28 PM, Savingtehplanet said:

The interview deadline is the 22nd if I correctly believe. Anyhow plan to give it on the 12th or 13th of December. Would advise you not to overthink on your PS. I was a bit frank in my PS as to why I wanted to study in Yale.

Hi, when did you receive the video interview after you submitted the application? I have submitted it for one day, but I still haven't received the interview invitation.

3 hours ago, Savingtehplanet said:

The link was on my application status page after I had submitted the same.

It is showed that it will be sent as email?  

54 minutes ago, runjackrun said:

It showed up on my application status page after I submitted, but I also received an e-mail maybe an hour or two after submitting the application which included some instructions for the interview. Hope this helps!

After you pay the $80? I guess I didn't see that because I didn't pay....

If I have paid, but my test scores or LOR haven't arrived, will I still receive the online interview? I'm so afraid that I'll miss it!

I think the last date for writing your exams (GRE/TOEFL) is the 15th. You better ask your recommenders to submit theirs by tomorrow as you wouldn't want to take any chances with that. The online interview can be taken until the 22nd so that should be fine. And yes, the interview is only after you've paid the 80 quid.

On 12/12/2015 at 11:46 AM, Oldtraffordkk said:

Hi guys. Good to see a 2016 yale fes thread. I'm applying to mem fall 16 and hopefully we can share our thoughts here. 

Firstly, as far as I know, the sop is the most important part of application. I wrote to danielle, member of adcom, and was told the adcom looks at the sop, lors and professional experience. The gre is not a big factor considering lot of applicants are in industry. Also, the diversity of coursework is advantageous. Ideally successful candidates have a double degree or double major.

Coming to the sop, there are three to four topics which one should mention as understood from various blogs and websites. 

1) how did you get interested in environment and related discipline?

2) what have you done in that area?

3) what are your future goals and how do you think you'd be able to contribute to the field after yale?

4) how would yale help you achieve your goals?

sharing my profile:

BA and MA Econ from top 5 indian uni. Undergrad gpa - 3.5/4.0 (by wes standards). Apart from economics, took courses in anthropology, sociology, history, mathematics, statistics, political science, environment studies. Science graduate in high school but don't think that will count.  

MS quantitative economics from top European university. (Gpa 3.7/4.0)

Advanced level (phd) courses in micro and macroecon, topology, probability and econometrics, One course in management and one in law. 

Lor - one upenn phd, one princeton phd and director of top ten energy research centre (also my thesis supervisor) and the last one from a top Canadian uni phd. 

Almost no professional experience but have 3 years of research and ta experience, mostly part time. One paper on review at leading energy policy journal and two paper presentation at international climate change conferences. The lack of professional experience is my only concern. Hopefully my research compensates for it. 

Gre - 154 v 163 q awa 5.0 

I dont have lot of hope but my supervisor suggested i go for it. Hopefully i get lucky. 

I think you have a pretty decent shot if you nail your SoP. I am a freshie so am pretty sure they won't take me. But then I have applied for an MESc and was also in touch with a professor at Yale. Still slim chances.

On 12/14/2015 at 10:56 PM, Savingtehplanet said:

I think you have a pretty decent shot if you nail your SoP. I am a freshie so am pretty sure they won't take me. But then I have applied for an MESc and was also in touch with a professor at Yale. Still slim chances.

I think the competition in MESc is not as strong as it is in MEM. Moreover, MESc is a research oriented program while MEM is more on the professional side. So, given your profile you have a decent chance. 

Yeah I think its a decent SoP. I am banking on my LORs and SoP. Moreover, I think taking range of courses from social sciences, mathematics and sciences would help my case. 

Edited by Oldtraffordkk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...