FALL 2016 Applicants!

kameldinho

litany, your GPA may be a bit low, but MAN, those GRE scores are awesome!!!! Plus you have that undergrad honors thesis! As for where to apply, apply to a range of ranked programs (a few lower ranked, mid, and highly ranked), but most of all, keep FIT in mind!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll balance out the range of programs then.

Stats:
Major: BA in Sociology with emphasis in crime and deviance.
Cumulative GPA: 3.09 (Had a really unsuccessful first year of undergrad as a mechanical engineer)
Major GPA: 3.85
GRE: 160V, 164Q, 6.0W
Research experience: Nothing glamorous other than an Honor's thesis.

Pros:
Recommendations are from 2 powerhouses in the sociology field and 1 in American studies.
Veteran status? On the applications of many schools I am applying to say the check box is used for record keeping purposes and has no influence on admission decisions.

Veteran status doesn't really mean much--but at some schools I think it gets your application fee waived.  That said, might as well apply to Columbia if it's only gonna cost ya time.  You may find others along your way, though. 

I went the Chem Eng route first--haha, what an idiot move.  Anyway--you've actually got a lot going on there, so as long as you don't blow it in the SoP, there's nothing keeping you out of the 10-20 range, and perhaps with a bit of networking (and working through your advisor's network) maybe accessing the 4-10.  No idea beyond that--you're on your own.

Thank you for letting me know that! Do you think I'd be a good candidate for top 20 programs? I was considering a couple,  but thought they *might* be too high of a reach. I suppose it never hurts to just go for it and try though, right? :-)

Yes, you definitely should apply to top 20 programs, in addition to whatever other programs you wanted to apply to.

Yes, you definitely should apply to top 20 programs, in addition to whatever other programs you wanted to apply to.

iemons, thank you! I really appreciate your advice. I'm going to look into more programs now!

We're basically GRE twins!  Have you taken other classes that may help adcoms look past your quantitative GRE score?  Clear up any uncertainties about your quantitative potential in your statement of purpose and your letters of recommendation! 

too funny! We are indeed. I would love for them to, but... It'd be a stretch. I mostly have done qualitative work, evaluation design, etc with them. I did take graduate-level biostatistics and epidemiology, which may help. I do basic statistical work in my current position, so if I go with a LOR from there she can speak to it, but I've gotten conflicting advice on using academics v professional world, even if you work in a related field. Good luck!!!

I'M BAAAAACK!!!

*clings to coffee*

Hi, everyone! I'm Ginger, and I'm currently pursing my M.A. in sociology at Lehigh University.  I'm a TA for the university as well, and it has been a blast, overall!

If you all have questions about Lehigh's M.A. program (and its awesome department and funding opportunities), let me know!!

BUT NOW THE TIME HAS COME FOR PHD PROGRAMS.

Research experience: 

- Undergraduate Thesis: content analysis of ~400 newspaper articles pertaining to the contraceptive clause of the Affordable Care Act. Examined how religious views regarding the contraceptive clause were framed in mainstream media narratives. 

- Master's Thesis: quantitative analysis examining the impact of global environmental degradation on HIV/AIDS prevalence among women in less-developed countries

- Other: co-authoring an article on young women's unemployment and HIV/AIDS prevalence among young women, presented at two conferences in 2014, presenting at 2016 ESS

- Overall package:  research experience in both American and global health matters, along with qualitative and quantitative research experience.

Stats:

- Undergrad GPA: 3.91, cumulative (3.87 AA, 3.97 BA)

- Graduate GPA: 4.0 (so far)

- GRE: 164 (V), 152 (Q)

Cons:

that low quant score!  I've taken undergraduate statistics in the math department, undergraduate social statistics, graduate-level social statistics, and graduate-level quantitative methods, and I have LOVED each and every one of those classes, earning an A in each one! So, I have the aptitude for quantitative work, and I actually prefer it, but someone who never finished high school math (GED class of 2007!) isn't bound to get a perfect score on the GRE quantitative section.

I'm hoping my grades and letters of recommendation offset that quantitative score.

Areas of interest: Medical sociology (reproduction, women's health, global health), religion, gender 

Here are the programs I'm looking at:

-University of Delaware (accepted me for their M.A. program, I went on a recruitment visit there and I LOVED it!)

-Brandeis University (*gets dreamy look in eyes* medical sociology *and* religion ... *swoon* Plus, Wendy Cadge is there, and her book, "Paging God," is awesome!)

-Vanderbilt University (my undergrad thesis advisor got her PhD here)

- Emory University

- UC Davis (I have a good friend who goes here, and who actually is in these forums pretty often)

- NC State

I'm considering more programs than this, but those are my top 6.

Hey I'm currently a first year at CU Boulder. If you're interested in expanding your list, it sounds like your interests fit pretty well. We have concentrations in health and gender specifically. Sanyu Majola has done work with HIV/AIDs and women specifically, and she's also really badass.

Hey I'm currently a first year at CU Boulder. If you're interested in expanding your list, it sounds like your interests fit pretty well. We have concentrations in health and gender specifically. Sanyu Majola has done work with HIV/AIDs and women specifically, and she's also really badass.

DR. MOJOLA IS THERE?! *freaks out* 

I only use her research in my literature review a million times!!!!! (I cite her always, of course!) She is AWESOME. Huge fan!! Huge. fan.  Could you tell her I love her work, please?

I think I'll be adding CU Boulder to my list. The website says she is on sabbatical, but still. Thank you!!!

Edited by gingin6789

DR. MOJOLA IS THERE?! *freaks out* 

I only use her research in my literature review a million times!!!!! (I cite her always, of course!) She is AWESOME. Huge fan!! Huge. fan.  Could you tell her I love her work, please?

I think I'll be adding CU Boulder to my list. The website says she is on sabbatical, but still. Thank you!!!

She's on sabbatical at Harvard because she's a rock star, but she'll be back by next fall I believe. There are a bunch of other people who could probably inform your work well. I've really liked it here in the department so far. Feel free to pm if you have more questions.

Hi All,

I'm a Fall 2015 Sociology applicant as well.

My background: I'm an MPP graduate from one of the top five programs but my undergraduate degree was in a STEM field. Besides policy memos, my research experience consists of a couple academic term papers and a year at a regional think tank abroad, very few of which link directly to my PhD study plans.  I'm counting on my SoP describing my insights from working abroad and my MPP and couple history classes. All my recs are from policy profs. The main reason I am drawn to sociology is for its emphasis on power, culture, theory, philosophy and sophisticated qualitative research methods. 

I haven't studied with a sociology professor so I had very little guidance and had to do the research on my own (literally read the bio of each faculty member at 20+ schools). I'm not too thrilled with this method and so I'd really appreciate your suggestions and feedback given my interest and mixed background.

Can you guys point me to international-oriented programs where I can explore themes of nationalism, citizenship and authoritarianism? I've noticed most programs related to citizenship focus on immigration issues within the US, whereas I'd like to focus on West and South Asia. Below are some preliminary choices:

• Chicago
  • Wisconsin
  • Berkeley
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Minnesota
  • Stonybrook

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Shamon

Hello all, 

I'm in the process of applying to some sociology grad programs and I was looking for some input. My faculty mentor suggested I apply to five programs, but I need some assistance. Here is some general information: 

First, I'm interested in studying in the broad field of gender, sexuality, and sex. More specifically, I am interested in how social class affects the way individuals "do" gender, sexuality, and sex, especially men. 

Second, my GRE scores are V: 165, Q: 155, and W: 5.0. My GPA is 3.87. 

The programs I am weighing are:

1. UC-Santa Barbara
  2. Northwestern
  3. Stony Brook
  4. Brandeis
  5. University of Massachusetts, Amherst

I would like to know if any of you guys have any suggestions as to programs to which I should apply, should not apply, and so on. My research is qualitative, so I do not want to go somewhere that's overly quantitative. I am also a bit worried that I will be rejected from all of these schools, so I would also like some idea if I have a chance or not. Thank you all so much. 

She's on sabbatical at Harvard because she's a rock star, but she'll be back by next fall I believe. There are a bunch of other people who could probably inform your work well. I've really liked it here in the department so far. Feel free to pm if you have more questions.

I can totally see why she's on sabbatical at Harvard because she really is a ROCK STAR. For context about how awesome she is, I was telling one of the Anth professors about my research, and the first name he mentioned was Mojola and how excellent her work is!  HMMM since she's at Harvard, maybe she'll be at the Eastern Sociological Society meeting in March?? I'll be presenting a co-authored work on young women's unemployment and young women's HIV there. It would be super cool to meet her.  

Thank you so much! I'll probably PM you soon!

@Shamon - Welcome! I wish I knew of some programs specializing in your areas of interest ... have you tried looking through the ASA's Guide to Graduate Departments in Sociology?  If not -- and if you don't have access to a copy -- I can use my copy to look into that for you!

@brntssy - Welcome to you, too!  Your scores and GPA are pretty darn solid. Are you coming right from undergrad, or will you have a master's degree going into grad school?  Also, I guess this makes us Brandeis buddies now! *high fives* I was going to suggest Stony Brook as well, but you already have that on your list!

Edited by gingin6789

Hi All,

I'm a Fall 2015 Sociology applicant as well.

My background: I'm an MPP graduate from one of the top five programs but my undergraduate degree was in a STEM field. Besides policy memos, my research experience consists of a couple academic term papers and a year at a regional think tank abroad, very few of which link directly to my PhD study plans.  I'm counting on my SoP describing my insights from working abroad and my MPP and couple history classes. All my recs are from policy profs. The main reason I am drawn to sociology is for its emphasis on power, culture, theory, philosophy and sophisticated qualitative research methods. 

I haven't studied with a sociology professor so I had very little guidance and had to do the research on my own (literally read the bio of each faculty member at 20+ schools). I'm not too thrilled with this method and so I'd really appreciate your suggestions and feedback given my interest and mixed background.

Can you guys point me to international-oriented programs where I can explore themes of nationalism, citizenship and authoritarianism? I've noticed most programs related to citizenship focus on immigration issues within the US, whereas I'd like to focus on West and South Asia. Below are some preliminary choices:

• Chicago
  • Wisconsin
  • Berkeley
  • Johns Hopkins
  • Minnesota
  • Stonybrook

Thanks in advance!

Also, you might wanna check out the sections at ASA! Super handy in finding out who has an ASA leadership role in your area of interest.  The medical sociology section website has a list of graduate programs affiliated with the medical sociology section of ASA, but not every section's website has that.  Here's the link to the sections:

http://asanet.org/sections/list.cfm 

@brntssy - Welcome to you, too!  Your scores and GPA are pretty darn solid. Are you coming right from undergrad, or will you have a master's degree going into grad school?  Also, I guess this makes us Brandeis buddies now! *high fives* I was going to suggest Stony Brook as well, but you already have that on your list!

@gingin6789 I'll be coming straight from undergrad. I'm graduating in December actually, so I have grad school and graduation to worry about at the same time. :wacko: 

I was pointed toward Stony Brook by a couple of people, so I definitely want to apply there. I'm actually still on the fence about Brandeis, but it's likely that I will apply. 

Thank you Ginger for your prompt and helpful response! I'm checking out the ASA website and I'm learning so much about the discipline. As you hinted, I am not finding suggestions for specific programs under my subcategories (selected below). It looks like the Guide costs $50 :/ If it's not much trouble, would you mind taking a quick look? Thanks again for your help!

@gingin6789 I'll be coming straight from undergrad. I'm graduating in December actually, so I have grad school and graduation to worry about at the same time. :wacko: 

I was pointed toward Stony Brook by a couple of people, so I definitely want to apply there. I'm actually still on the fence about Brandeis, but it's likely that I will apply. 

I did my undergrad at stony brook. There's a lot of great stuff with gender, and an emphasis of Masculinities if you're looking for it. I did a grad class there. You can pm me if you have more questions.

I was a December grad, too!!  It was buckets of fun finishing up my thesis, applying for grad school, and studying for the GRE back then ... I'm being sarcastic, of course! I totally know how you feel!  Yeah, as Hillary said, Stony Brook is the place to be for masculinities, *and* Michael Kimmel is there (if I remember correctly). 

Thank you Ginger for your prompt and helpful response! I'm checking out the ASA website and I'm learning so much about the discipline. As you hinted, I am not finding suggestions for specific programs under my subcategories (selected below). It looks like the Guide costs $50 :/ If it's not much trouble, would you mind taking a quick look? Thanks again for your help!

Sure, I'd love to help, Shamon!  I'll have to go to my office on campus to get the guide.  I'll go over a little bit later today, if that's ok!  Yeah, DON'T drop $50 on the guide. Seriously, I'll get together a list of programs under those categories, and if you want more info on specific programs, I can send you more info from the book.

Any idea how long it takes (on average) for programs to get back? Just submitting my applications now.

Good job on getting your applications in so quickly! Wow!

I'd check the past Acceptances/Rejections threads here. That's what I ended up doing.  Additionally, you can do a search for your programs of interest in the Results Search section of GradCafe. 

Where are you applying?

Sure, I'd love to help, Shamon!  I'll have to go to my office on campus to get the guide.  I'll go over a little bit later today, if that's ok!  Yeah, DON'T drop $50 on the guide. Seriously, I'll get together a list of programs under those categories, and if you want more info on specific programs, I can send you more info from the book.

@Shamon if you check out your SOC department office, they may have several years of guides available for you. I've actually found the ASA guide to be a bit less helpful than I originally anticipated, though. They sort departments into those categories, but they often put departments into them even if there is only one person studying that field. I urge you, based on the recommendations of a few professors in my department, to not take the ASA guide very seriously and instead examine journals in your sub-discipline for some guidance. However, it is a good starting place. Good luck with your search! 

@Shamon if you check out your SOC department office, they may have several years of guides available for you. I've actually found the ASA guide to be a bit less helpful than I originally anticipated, though. They sort departments into those categories, but they often put departments into them even if there is only one person studying that field. I urge you, based on the recommendations of a few professors in my department, to not take the ASA guide very seriously and instead examine journals in your sub-discipline for some guidance. However, it is a good starting place. Good luck with your search! 

Brntssy's word of caution is helpful, and I do agree that using the ASA guide is at least a good start. I wanted to give Shamon a list of places under those categories merely to narrow it down. Brntssy is definitely right in that journals in your area of interest are also very helpful!

Edited by gingin6789

Thank you Ginger and brntssy for your helpful advice. brntssy brings up some good points. As Ginger has said, maybe ASA guide is at least a start - I can always go to the university faculty page and see if there is more than one scholar who addresses my interests. The journal is not a bad idea either. I've downloaded a few articles by Michigan's Margaret Somers (her work is very close to what I'd like to do) and I'm hoping to acquaint myself with scholars in this area through her articles.

Ginger, if you get a chance to check out the guide book, that would be wonderful, but it does sound a bit tedious so no problem if you are not able to get around to it!

Eager to hear from more Sociology fall applicants *wink*

Any idea how long it takes (on average) for programs to get back? Just submitting my applications now.

It's usually an all at once (give or take a few days) thing (or all acceptances at once, all rejections at once). Depends largely on the university and its respective deadline, but ranges from end of January - early March for the most part, I think.  Like Gingin said, easiest way is to check the results board for when last year's went out for the specific university/department.

Thank you Ginger and brntssy for your helpful advice. brntssy brings up some good points. As Ginger has said, maybe ASA guide is at least a start - I can always go to the university faculty page and see if there is more than one scholar who addresses my interests. The journal is not a bad idea either. I've downloaded a few articles by Michigan's Margaret Somers (her work is very close to what I'd like to do) and I'm hoping to acquaint myself with scholars in this area through her articles.

Ginger, if you get a chance to check out the guide book, that would be wonderful, but it does sound a bit tedious so no problem if you are not able to get around to it!

Eager to hear from more Sociology fall applicants *wink*

Hey Shamon! Check your messages! I sent a message with the list of programs because it was a bit long to post here.

Hey guys! I'm super confused. Is anyone else applying straight from undergrad? 

Stats:

(From an Ivy)

GPA: 3.7

GRE: 167/160/6

Research experience in a

-business lab

-sexuality project,

-intellectual history lab/professor

-urban anthropology professor

And a lot of NGO involvement

but no publications, and anthro undergrad

My interests are in medical sociology, specifically of mental illness and sexuality in urban areas. 

Schools:

1. Rutgers (top choice)

this is all I have for now....can anyone recommend me other programs that might take an undergrad with no publications?

Any program will take a UG with no pubs as long as your statements, writing sample, LORs, etc. indicate you have promise as a researcher. Apply to some top programs. I would suggest Indiana as one of them.