Applying for masters-level jobs while in PhD program

Criminologist

I am in my 3rd semester of my PhD program (last semester of coursework) and I am currently applying for masters-level research positions in my field. Already applied to one this summer I thought was a great fit and never heard back. Am I less likely to hear back from companies since I am in a PhD program and they will see this on my resume? I am also working as a grad assistant. My intent is to get a job next semester and then do the PhD program part-time or leave the program.

Edited by zhanggar

Perhaps. It depends on the employer and their own perceptions.

Some employers may not care if you do a PhD part-time, as long as it doesn't interfere with your work. Some might even see it as a bonus. But others will believe (realize?) that even a part-time PhD is a lot of work and might be too demanding to balance with full-time work at their position. Others might not even bother if they have other qualified candidates who are not in PhD programs.

You can take the PhD program off your resume if you don't want that to be a red flag immediately - you don't have to have it on there. That's not saying that you should lie if it comes up, but a resume is essentially a marketing document for you, so you only have to put relevant information that will help you find positions you want, not everything you've ever done. If you do leave it on, it might be something you could address in a cover letter if you are deft about it.

It might also depend on the field. In Physics, I know that employers often recruit people out of PhD programs and sometimes students leave PhD programs early because they get a good job offer and no longer want/need to finish their PhD. So, it's not always certain that being in a PhD program will limit your job options. In fact, from my perspective, I don't think being in a PhD program is any different from applying to a new job while currently employed at another company. As juilletmercredi suggests, you should mention in your cover letter why you want to leave your PhD program and what opportunities you would look forward to in your new job. This is exactly what you should/would write in a cover letter if you were currently working at Company A and are applying to a job at Company B. 

It sounds like you are starting the 2nd year of grad school and will complete a Masters shortly? If so, another way you can frame this is to list yourself as in a "graduate program" on your CV and apply to the job as if you were in a terminal Masters program (assuming that you will get a Masters degree soon). Or, if you recently received a Masters degree, you can just list your education as Masters with the year of degree awarded and don't even mention that you are a PhD student. If the Masters degree was awarded in the past year, then this will be fine. If it's longer than that, it is still fine to just list your Masters degree, but then you might have another problem where there is a gap between your Masters and present day and the company might wonder what you did in that time (and "nothing" is much worse than "current PhD student", in my opinion).

Thanks for the replies. I got a masters recently before coming to the PhD program. The jobs I am applying for are research associate/analyst positions in think tanks. I had thought about leaving off the doctoral student part in my resume, but I would still have in my work experience say that I am grad assistant since it is relevant and would help me get hired. you think interviewers could tell that I am in a PhD program since I am a grad assistant and I am just leaving it off? I don't want them to think I am trying to hide something. I also did address it in my cover letter saying that I was more interested in working in research. What about in the cover letter about saying I never needed or intended to complete the PhD, just wanted to obtain more experience before getting a position? 

Thanks for the replies. I got a masters recently before coming to the PhD program. The jobs I am applying for are research associate/analyst positions in think tanks. I had thought about leaving off the doctoral student part in my resume, but I would still have in my work experience say that I am grad assistant since it is relevant and would help me get hired. you think interviewers could tell that I am in a PhD program since I am a grad assistant and I am just leaving it off? I don't want them to think I am trying to hide something.

I think if you want to make sure your application adds up, then if you want to include the grad assistant experience on the resume then you should just say you are in a graduate program. Be ready to explain why you want to leave your PhD program. There's almost nothing to gain by hiding the PhD program and a lot to lose if people are suspicious of what your application says.

I also did address it in my cover letter saying that I was more interested in working in research. What about in the cover letter about saying I never needed or intended to complete the PhD, just wanted to obtain more experience before getting a position? 

I don't think saying that you enrolled in a degree program that you never intended to finish is going to be good for a job application. This says that you are the type of person that starts projects and does not follow through! Can you come up with a reasonable and logical explanation of your motivations that will explain why you no longer want to finish your PhD program and why working at this new company will be better for your long term goals?

Yeah,  what I was thinking of saying besides that is I decided I was more interested in pursuing a career in research versus academia after completing 1 year and think it would be more rewarding then explain my reasons. I could just put this or the cover letter, or maybe if they ask me during an interview.