Retake Statistics or GRE?

kasbah

I'm pretty sure my quantitative background is the weakest part of my application. I got a B- in Statistics in undergrad and my GRE quant score is decent, but not amazing. Which will boost my application more -- retaking statistics or retaking the GRE? I'm leaning towards retaking statistics online because I'm still in the Peace Corps and retaking the GRE means leaving the country (ugh). Any thoughts? 

These are my stats, btw:

GPA: 3.396*
GRE: 162 V/156 Q/4.5 AW
Major: International Relations/Middle Eastern Studies
Undergrad: Top public school
Work Experience: 6 months with a political organization in DC, and 3 years with Peace Corps.
Overseas Experience: Semester abroad in Cairo, studying and volunteering. Then three years in Peace Corps
Coursework: IR & CP, Arabic, some econ, history and sociology as well. 
Languages: Arabic
Applying to: CMU Heinz, IPED Fordham, AU SIS, Elliot GWU, (maybe) SIPA, Fletcher, and HKS

* Also, do I round up a 3.396 to a 3.4???

Edited by kasbah

Hi Kasbah (and Chocolate Cheesecake),

I recommend my clients applying to top policy schools take / have taken the following courses and earned a B+ or better by the time they matriculate (better to take by the time you apply):

• Macroeconomics
  • Microeconomics
  • Calculus
  • Statistics

If you want super-bonus points, I'd recommend also taking:

• Accounting
  • Finance (also called Corporate Finance)
  • Spreadsheet Modeling / Excel Skills

Places I recommend taking the classes: places like your local community college/junior college, UT, UCLA  (online, independent and/or self-directed classes) with Coursera as a last resort option (at least for now while Admissions Committees decide how much they value courses taken via Coursera).

Yes, I would say you should round a 3.396 up to a 3.4.

Best of luck!
Kaneisha