Worth retaking a 161V/162Q? Overall chances?

Ben414

With additional studying, I think I could improve my score a couple of points in each section.  However, I'm working full-time and hoping to find some substantive volunteer work soon, so my time is somewhat limited.  My goal is to get into a top MPP program and to hopefully receive some funding.  How would improving my score a couple of points in each section affect my chances of admission and my chances of receiving funding?  Also, would I realistically have to wait a couple of years to get into a top MPP program with my following profile?

To help you better understand my profile, I have a 3.7 GPA from a small liberal arts college.  I interned at a state Senator's office the summer after my sophomore year and was a campaign manager for a state Senate campaign the summer after my junior year.  After graduating in the spring, I am now working at a non-profit in the area of child welfare and will be the lead for running statewide programs in 2 states.  I should have very strong LORs.

Thanks for your help!

I haven't heard anything back yet, so I'll give my post a bump.  If you feel that you can only answer one of my questions, I'd still appreciate any help you can give!  Let me know if you'd like for me to provide more details.

Since you want advice, I'll put in my two cents :)

Your scores are strong, they are in the range for top programs. I don't think it's worth the effort to obsess over a few extra points. I've heard the rumor that it can make a difference for funding, but I would think that strengthening your overall profile through volunteer work would be more valuable given the scores you've already achieved.

Could you make it into a top program? Maybe...sounds like you have a pretty strong profile. My question for you (and one you will probably need to answer for an admissions committee) is why now? It sounds like you're nowhere near to topping out your professional trajectory, so I'm curious why you feel like it's the right moment to return to school. I may be biased as someone who waited longer and got more work experience, but I think you will get much more out of school with some additional time working, and also be more competitive for funding.

Obviously you are the only person who can determine whether now is the right time. Hope this was hopeful.

Since you want advice, I'll put in my two cents :)

Your scores are strong, they are in the range for top programs. I don't think it's worth the effort to obsess over a few extra points. I've heard the rumor that it can make a difference for funding, but I would think that strengthening your overall profile through volunteer work would be more valuable given the scores you've already achieved.

Could you make it into a top program? Maybe...sounds like you have a pretty strong profile. My question for you (and one you will probably need to answer for an admissions committee) is why now? It sounds like you're nowhere near to topping out your professional trajectory, so I'm curious why you feel like it's the right moment to return to school. I may be biased as someone who waited longer and got more work experience, but I think you will get much more out of school with some additional time working, and also be more competitive for funding.

Obviously you are the only person who can determine whether now is the right time. Hope this was hopeful.

I was tentatively thinking the same thing, but I wanted to hear if others agreed with me.  It's helpful to hear it from someone else.

As to the 'why now,' your mention of it is making me think more about it.  I thought I had a pretty good answer, but now I'm thinking I need to really think this through.  Even if I decide now isn't the right time, I can wait until a time where I can maximize my 2 years in the program.  And I decide it is the right time, I should have a strong reason to tell admissions.

Thanks for the response!  And if anyone else wants to chip in their two cents, I'd still appreciate it.

Edited by Ben414