MPP Applications Fall 2016

Alessandra

Hi !

I'm applying for an MPP starting in Fall 2016, I have considered UCLA and USC. I am 23 and I graduated in Economics in April 2015 at Bocconi University(Italy) so I would be an international student (Italian). I'm studying for GRE by myself and I'll take the test at the beginning of November hoping to get 310-320. I got a 93 in the TOEFL more than a year ago and I'm planning to got 100 at least this time. I've a 3.3 GPA <_<.

Do you think I have a chance with good letters of recommendation and a successful statement of purpose? I really want to get in, studying and working in the USA is my dream! Help me!

I would like to apply also for scholarships because I'm living by myself from 2 years now, I know it's very difficult for international students to get them, is there anyone who has experiences in this topic?

Thanks!!

Hi Alessandra,

Do you have work experience? In the USA work experience is almost as valuable, if not more valuable, as good grades.

I do not want to discourage you but there a couple of elements you need to take into consideration before applying ONLY to school in the states : 

1) Studying in the USA will only allow you to work in the USA for 1 year (you get a 1 year OPT Visa with a USA degree)...getting sponsored for a new VISA is extremely difficult, if not impossible in the public sector. Most of my European friends had to leave the States after their OPT expired. However, it is easier (but not easy!) to get a work VISA if you plan to work in the private sector.   

2) International students hardly get scholarships and you really need to have an outstanding profile to get one, without relevant work experience it's quite unlikely you would get one...anyhow it's always worth a try. 

http://www.fulbright.it/ this is a good place to start.

3) UCLA and USC are obviously great institutions but they not exactly famous for their MPPs...if you are planning to stay in the States and get sponsored you might want to apply to other programs as well (maybe located in DC?!)

Sorry if I was too blunt.

First, I want to thank you so much for your honesty and also for the advice you gave me!

I'm doing a six months paid internship at the Chamber of Commerce in Milan and I've done a three months internship last year at a local hospital in the HR. I know they are not really jobs, but for students or people just graduated it's impossible to immediately find a job here.

I hope to find something interesting also in the private sector that makes me deal with pubic issues, so I can stay and make some experiences in the USA.

Speaking about scholarships I will try with no expectations ;)

Thanks again for your help and good luck with your career!

First, I want to thank you so much for your honesty and also for the advice you gave me!

I'm doing a six months paid internship at the Chamber of Commerce in Milan and I've done a three months internship last year at a local hospital in the HR. I know they are not really jobs, but for students or people just graduated it's impossible to immediately find a job here.

I hope to find something interesting also in the private sector that makes me deal with pubic issues, so I can stay and make some experiences in the USA.

Speaking about scholarships I will try with no expectations ;)

Thanks again for your help and good luck with your career!

No problem at all :) get a good GRE score and you will definitely have a good shot at the schools you previously mentioned.

Best of luck with everything! :)